Open a company holding a TN visa

gtomx

Hello every one, I am currently working in the US with a TN visa and I want to know if it is possible to open my own company (doing maintenance services). I will continue working for my current employer, by doing this am I incurring in something illegal?

I contacted a lawyer and he say that it is legal because I will be the owner of a LLC and it is not consider self employment but I want an other opinion.

Thank you!

Unless EACH of your clients can sponsor you for a TN, then this is illegal work, since you are performing work that is (a) not authorized by DHS, and (b) is proaobly not eligible for its own TN. You are in fact self-sponsoring, since YOU are making the decision to hire yourself, without a TN. Only a US person or company (not controlled by you) can do this.

You could have an LLC to perform TN-eligible work, BUT each of your clients would have to sponsor a TN for you. (ie. if you had 10 clients, you would have 10 TN I-94s -- plus the one for your TN job). Many people do this, quite legally. lawyers are known to be ignorant of TN rules.