Once I submit citizenship app, do I need to stay here?

marlon2006

Registered Users (C)
Imagine one completes 4 years and 9 months with greencard. At that point I can submit application for citizenship.

Do I need to stay in the US while my citizenship is processed?

What happens if I submit the citizenship paperwork, then I quit my job in the US and go to my country of origin to spend time with my aging parents?

Then as soon as I citizenship interview is scheduled (in about six months hopefully), I can fly to the US.

Anything wrong with the picture above?

What is the time line are you thinking about being away in your native country? Any trips outside the United States should be reported during your future Interview w/USCIS. And, also you want to make sure that you do not exceed the given number of days/months. Good luck!

I would postpone this plan until after oath unless it is extremely urgent. The IO at interview may doubt that you want to live in the US after citizenship if you stay too long.

Also, how will you complete fingerprint if you are not here ?

I have spent few weeks (few Christmas and few business trips outside of the US.

My parents are sick so if I have to go, I would tell the officer the reason. I would stay there probably few years once I secure the citizenship. If he wants to believe it, great, if not, I am tired of this. I spent too many precious years waiting for a damn greencard which I paid a high price, career was limited. and I feel like that the US is going to be worse off than me if they lose me as a citizen.

Also, how much time have you spent outside US in last 5 years?