• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

On which step of my Mom's living in U.S. I can also immigrate to U.S. or I can't?

earlfox

Registered Users (C)
My mom got immigration visas for three (she 48, sister 18 and little sister 5).
I heard that I can also immigrate by chosing an option of joining my family, but I heard two opinions - 1. I can join my family only when they will become a citizens; 2. I can join my family after some period (like 1 year) of their successful living as permanent residents (with Green Card only).

Can you please explain me my rights clearer

Last edited by a moderator:
Once your mother is in the US she can file an I 130 form ( petition for alien relative ) and the wait begins. She will need to provide an affidavit of support at 125% the poverty level for the household size plus you which looks to be 4 people ( just over 27 thousand) or she can use a co sponsor. The process takes several years for a visa number to be available and as long as she is an LPR you must remain single or the petition dies. If she becomes a USC before a visa number becomes available then she can upgrade the petition and you are also free to marry.

Once your mother is in the US she can file an I 130 form ( petition for alien relative ) and the wait begins
She is 48 and two questions: 1. can she file an I-130 form without before documenting the $27k annual income level and without ability of providing affidavit of support; 2. at the time she will retire at 55-65, the only way I will have - it is co-sponsor, right?

She is 48 and two questions: 1. can she file an I-130 form without before documenting the $27k annual income level and without ability of providing affidavit of support; 2. at the time she will retire at 55-65, the only way I will have - it is co-sponsor, right?

First of all, this ASSUMES that YOU are 21 or older and that is why you did not go along with mom and siblings. IF this is NOT correct, PLEASE speak up immediately.

The very moment that mom gets her passport stamped as having entered as an immigrant she can use a copy of that validated proof of LPR status to file an I-130 for you in the F2B category. Upon proper filing, that date will be your "priority date". It will takes years for that priority date to become "current" on the Visa Bulletin [google that and learn how to read it.]

When your visa is about to become available, NVC will contact mom for the affidavit of support (USCIS form I-864--find and read the instructions on www.uscis.gov) Once that is in order, NVC will send the visa package to the consulate that will handle your case. The consulate will contact you to apply for a visa.

Make sure that current address for you and mom are ALWAYS on file. IF they try to make contact but can't, then after a while the whole thing is canceled. You have years to work out all the details.

Your mom can't sponsor anybody until she becomes a Citizen. That will take 5 years from the day of her receiving the GC...but she can apply to become a Citizen a few months earlier.

Your mom can't sponsor anybody until she becomes a Citizen. That will take 5 years from the day of her receiving the GC...but she can apply to become a Citizen a few months earlier.

PLEASE don't provide MISINFORMATION!

A greencard holder (LPR) CAN FILE an I-130 for a spouse and any unmarried child of any age.

My mom got immigration visas for three (she 48, sister 18 and little sister 5).
I heard that I can also immigrate by chosing an option of joining my family, but I heard two opinions - 1. I can join my family only when they will become a citizens; 2. I can join my family after some period (like 1 year) of their successful living as permanent residents (with Green Card only).

Can you please explain me my rights clearer

Hi,

I recommend you to go to the embassy or the immigration office near you to consult about your question to make it clear with no doubt. Or just ask an attorney that are expert in visa and immigration to support your question. Best wishes to your family and to you.

usa visa

PLEASE don't provide MISINFORMATION!

A greencard holder (LPR) CAN FILE an I-130 for a spouse and any unmarried child of any age.

BigJoe5 is usually posting most idiotic and moronic comments on this forum as a whole but maybe this time he struck some truth...not ..just joking !..