OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Sam,
1) Did you apply for an Entry Visa for your wife? for how many yrs?
2) Did you fill in the forms for renunciation of Indian pp for her?
3) I am assuming you did not pay the extra $175 for cancelling her Indian PP? - and it still worked?
please clarify.
chola

Novacitizen, Planning on sending my passports this Friday (5/14/10).

04/09/2010: OCI Docs mailed to Washington, DC
04/12/2010: Received at Washington, DC
04/13/2010: Acknowledged
04/20/2010: Scanned
04/29/2010: Granted
04/30/2010: Printed
05/05/2010: Dispatched from Delhi
05/12/2010: Received at Washington
xx/xx/2010: Mailed US Passports to Washington
xx/xx/2010: Passports received at Washington
xx/xx/2010: OCI Received by Me

Hi Maria,
It looks like we both will receive the documents at DC same day.......

Let me know when you are mailing the PP...I will also mail on same day...so we can have some track of our PPs with embassy....I live in Northern virgina....even UPS ground will deliver my PP to DC on next day.............I think we should plan for coming Monday to mail our PPs......

Sam,
1) Did you apply for an Entry Visa for your wife? for how many yrs?
2) Did you fill in the forms for renunciation of Indian pp for her?
3) I am assuming you did not pay the extra $175 for cancelling her Indian PP? - and it still worked?
please clarify.
chola

Here are your answers:
1) Tourist Visa for 6 months ($94 - all inclusive)
2) Yes, and we received her Indian passport canceled last Tuesday.
3) Yes, I did NOT pay the extra $175 for canceling her Indian PP, just the visa fee along with the postage fee.

Looks to me they changed this rule about a week ago and suspecting they have been sending back the Indian passport (this thread has at-least 2-3 people who got their passport without canceling) without canceling with the OCI card due to this new ruling was in cards.

Here are your answers:
1) Tourist Visa for 6 months ($94 - all inclusive)
2) Yes, and we received her Indian passport canceled last Tuesday.
3) Yes, I did NOT pay the extra $175 for canceling her Indian PP, just the visa fee along with the postage fee.

Looks to me they changed this rule about a week ago and suspecting they have been sending back the Indian passport (this thread has at-least 2-3 people who got their passport without canceling) without canceling with the OCI card due to this new ruling was in cards.

The website says persons of India origin CANNOT apply for Tourist visa and should ONLY apply for Entry visa. How did you get the Tourist visa for your wife?
I'm assuming she's from India.
chola

Yes, she was Indian citizen till last month and I did get her the Tourist Visa ... looks like they have changed the wording on Travisa website even :-( sorry dude ... Indian Embassy is a mess...

I am 100% the following wording wasn't there last month on April 26th, looks like they have clarified a lot of stuff on these visa pages to clear confusion and make more money --- Entry Visa ($133) cost more that Tourist Visa ($94) ...

Persons of Indian Origin, his/her spouse and dependent children will be granted only an Entry (X) visa and should not apply for a Tourist visa. Applicants volunteering, working with charities or working with non-profit organizations must apply for an Employment visa.

Last edited by a moderator:
DC consulate received my US passport today for OCI stamping......let me wait and see if they ask for any more money .....I sent my cancelled indian passport with OCI application last month.....I will post if there is any update on my case......

Anyone who recived passportwith OCI this week....please post it here............

Novacitizen, why do you think they will ask for more money?

DC consulate received my US passport today for OCI stamping......let me wait and see if they ask for any more money .....I sent my cancelled indian passport with OCI application last month.....I will post if there is any update on my case......

Anyone who recived passportwith OCI this week....please post it here............

did you read the new OCI information page in DC website ? if you re indian citizen, then you have to pay $175 to cancel your indian passport.....
if you read NY thread, you can get more information about not issuing OCI card for approved people...........

I see it now... !! Anybody has any comments or recent experience , please post... thanks

Note (1). According to Passport Act 1967, it is mandatory to get Indian Passport cancelled by the Indian Embassy. There is a fee of $175 for getting Indian Passport cancelled. Indian Passport of US national, expiring on or after 1st January 2005, and if the Indian Passport is not cancelled even after 3 years of acquiring US citizenship, such Indian passport holder needs to pay a fine of $250 in addition to $175 renunciation fee. You are required to pay above fees if applicable in addition to the OCI and Mailing fees.

did you read the new OCI information page in DC website ? if you re indian citizen, then you have to pay $175 to cancel your indian passport.....
if you read NY thread, you can get more information about not issuing OCI card for approved people...........

Only if they choose to (A) Acknowledge my application (B) Send me an email about this ... I might have something ... its been more than 2 weeks I sent my application and there is no movement, I guess due to this rule change ... am I screwed?

Congrats... your journey is over..!!
I did not cancel my PPs before.. need to wait and see.

i just got my US PP with OCI card and Indian PP .......( My indian PP was already cancelled in 2009 ).....

04/09/2010: OCI Docs mailed to Washington, DC
04/12/2010: Received at Washington, DC
04/13/2010: Acknowledged
04/20/2010: Scanned
04/29/2010: Granted
04/30/2010: Printed
05/05/2010: Dispatched from Delhi
05/12/2010: Received at Washington
05/13/2010: Mailed US Passports to Washington
05/14/2010: Passports received at Washington
xx/xx/2010: OCI Received by Me

Only if they choose to (A) Acknowledge my application (B) Send me an email about this ... I might have something ... its been more than 2 weeks I sent my application and there is no movement, I guess due to this rule change ... am I screwed?

Hey sam012007,
I got my whole package back today from the consulate with a printed paper in it which says we need
to send $ 175 each for cancellation of Indian passport.

My time line is almost like yours, so wanted to share this info.

I guess we have no other choice but to send the addtional fees.

Anybody else who have got their applications back, please share your experience.

Thank you "GC2USC" for posting your information. I guess we can go back and forth like the way things are going right now at their website ... and waste our hard earned money on these Embassy people who can't make up their mind and finding new ways to screw people even after they are not Indian Citizens.

If they want to change the rules, their has to be an effective date and any documents sent/received before that date should be process according to the rules on the day they received the documents.

They wasted 3 weeks for you and most likely mine... who is going to compensate those wasted 3 weeks, that would've been counted towards the actual processing of OCI? NOBODY RIGHT... I can keep typing... but what the hell ... another $175 waste and thats it, let me see after this how much money can they EXTORT from me...

Thank you "GC2USC" for posting your information. I guess we can go back and forth like the way things are going right now at their website ... and waste our hard earned money on these Embassy people who can't make up their mind and finding new ways to screw people even after they are not Indian Citizens.

If they want to change the rules, their has to be an effective date and any documents sent/received before that date should be process according to the rules on the day they received the documents.

They wasted 3 weeks for you and most likely mine... who is going to compensate those wasted 3 weeks, that would've been counted towards the actual processing of OCI? NOBODY RIGHT... I can keep typing... but what the hell ... another $175 waste and thats it, let me see after this how much money can they EXTORT from me...

Rightly said Sam012007, we have lost almost three weeks. If they decide to apply any new rules, they have to set a proper date for implementing such rules while giving a proper window for applications already received and applications in transit. I see some lucky folks in this forum who applied in early April and are almost thru.

It does not end here, I was browsing thru the NY and SF tracker and was amazed at some of the posts.
one of the applications was returned asking for color copies of Green Card, now where the heck will you get that, we all have to surrender our GC's before we get our Nat. certificate, unless someone had the presence of mind to make copies of the GC before surrendering it.

Secondly initially only NY wanted the surrrender certificate alongwith the application, now just a couple of days back SF also has jumped on that bandwagon and wants the surrender certificate.

I am really confused on how to proceed, because the letter I rcvd only request for payment of 175 each, and copy of Nat. certificate. If I mail these today and after couple of days if DC also jumps on that bandwagon and start asking for surrender certificate, there is strong possiblity of my application coming back a second time.

They want us to cough up such huge amounts and the service sucks big time..

The OCI Process now looks like a mess. It used to be only getting back USA PP with 'U' visa sticker. Last month they messed up mailing the PP's back. Now this surrender/cancellation of india PP mess. It is not clear.
CGNY is has different info than Washington DC embassy. Houston Consulate is not asking for the same Fee or certification of PP surrender...
There is no clear direction yet all.
Has anyone got their PP's with OCI in this week or last week after sending the PP's to Washington??

i got mine today with "U" visa sticker stamped ........but my indian PP was cancelled last year when I applied for tourist visa in dec-09

The OCI Process now looks like a mess. It used to be only getting back USA PP with 'U' visa sticker. Last month they messed up mailing the PP's back. Now this surrender/cancellation of india PP mess. It is not clear.
CGNY is has different info than Washington DC embassy. Houston Consulate is not asking for the same Fee or certification of PP surrender...
There is no clear direction yet all.
Has anyone got their PP's with OCI in this week or last week after sending the PP's to Washington??

i got mine today with "u" visa sticker stamped ........but my indian pp was cancelled last year when i applied for tourist visa in dec-09

congrats novacitizen.

You got it done in just 1 month.... Good...........enjoy.

Gee24