OCI - Washington DC Tracker

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
In spite of strong objections from the India [ Images ]n-American
community, the government of India has abruptly introduced another set
of rules for those who have taken up United States' citizenship.

The websites of the consulates have been publishing new rules and
penalties almost every day without any advance notice.

It began with the rule that those applying for the Overseas
Citizenship of India Card should renounce their Indian citizenship by
paying $175 and obtaining a Surrender Certificate. They should produce
their old passports (valid/expired) while doing so. That is in
addition to the $275 for the OCI card.

HOW THE HECK DO THEY COME UP WITH THE NUMBER 175 DOLLARS ???

IT LOOKS RIDICULOUS MAN.
I CAN UNDERSTAND IF THEY CHARGE SOME 10 DOLLARS.........CONSIDERING THE TASK INVOLVED.
IT IS JUST CANCELLING ...........RIGHT ?
AND ALL THE OTHER TASKS, THAT THEY NEED TO DO PRIOR TO GRANTING THE OCI.....WILL ALWAYS BE DONE REGARDLESS OF THIS CHANGE....
JUST STAMP IT AND BE DONE..........DEAL.

AND.......FOR THIS.....THEY CHARGE $ 175 ?
IT's A HIGH WAY ROBBERY ..........AND ON THE TOP OF THIS......IF SOME ONE WERE TO CALL THEIR OFFICE TO CHECK ON THE STATUS.......THERE WILL BE NO DAMN GUY TO PICK UP THE PHONE...........NOR WILL THERE BE ANY PROPER RESPONSE.....GOD ONLY SHOULD SAVE US FROM THESE GUYS...

GEE24

I don't think it is even worth $ 10, just for one freaking stamp on the passport which says CANCELLED.

I think it should be $ 1.00, that too they should ask as a donation for improving their SO CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE

Customer Service, LOL .... In my opinion, now that they started to charge $175, they should have at-least 10 people helping out with the process and give out a toll-free number so that people can get correct information and follow the right process, rather than just wasting everybody's time and hard earned money ...

But who is going to tell them this? This aam aadmi ... no this aam aadmi will only think, hey its only $175, lets pay and get done with it and we would never have to deal with these people again ... and Babus will not change...

I think enough for the day today... yes you guys can feel how frustrated I am right now...

guys,
I'm a bit confused on Part B of the application. I am applying for myself, wife & 2 us born kids.

Does each one of us fill out Part B? or do I fill one for the whole family and put copies for everyone?
chola

My Friend GC2USC
What steps have you taken after you received your package back on last Friday? Please post in detail, really appreciate it.

Hey sam012007,
I got my whole package back today from the consulate with a printed paper in it which says we need
to send $ 175 each for cancellation of Indian passport.

My time line is almost like yours, so wanted to share this info.

I guess we have no other choice but to send the addtional fees.

Anybody else who have got their applications back, please share your experience.

guys,
I'm a bit confused on Part B of the application. I am applying for myself, wife & 2 us born kids.

Does each one of us fill out Part B? or do I fill one for the whole family and put copies for everyone?
chola

can anyone clarify plz?

Did you guys get the 2nd set of documents notarized as well? or will a copy of the notarized 1st set be good enough?
chola

Did you guys get the 2nd set of documents notarized as well? or will a copy of the notarized 1st set be good enough?
chola

I did not get notarized anything, all self attested copies. My friend was trying to Notarize his Naturalization certificate and the passports yesterday and he was told by his bank that they can not notarize even the passports let alone the Nat.Cert. ... I have no clue where in the world we can find people who will notarize these documents.

GC2USA has submitted the forms for the family, he should be able to shed some light on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Friend GC2USC
What steps have you taken after you received your package back on last Friday? Please post in detail, really appreciate it.

Hi Sam,

I have not done anything, I just thought I will give it more week for these babus to make up their minds.
I dont want to deal with waiting for 2/3 weeks and the package coming back for the 2nd time.

Will post as soon as I re-send the documents.

I had our US Passports Nortarized from my bank. Copies of Indian passport were self attested.

As far as Nat. Certificate goes, I have my doubts if anyone will notarize it because it clearly says on the certificate
IT IS PUNISHABLE BY U.S.LAW TO COPY, PRINT OR PHOTOGRAPH THIS CERTIFICATE, WITHOUT LAWFUL AUTHORITY.

I did not get notarized anything, all self attested copies. My friend was trying to Notarize his Naturalization certificate and the passports yesterday and he was told by his bank that they can not notarize even the passports let alone the Nat.Cert. ... I have no clue where in the world we can find people who will notarize these documents.

GC2USA has submitted the forms for the family, he should be able to shed some light on it.

Immihelp.com says Renunciation/Surrender certificate is needed BEFORE applying for OCI.
Not what the embassy guys are saying. I guess everyone is coming up with their own procedures....

If I apply for the OCI, send the Indian PP along with 275+175......and then have to go to India for any reason (before the OCI is approved), do you think they will issue a visa? Bear in mind, they will have my Indian PP and the $175 for cancelling it.
chola

I just got my Nat. Certificate Notarized. I just gave it a try and it worked. Here is what I did:

The package they hand out to you at the Oath ceremony which has all the information on how to register to vote, get PP etc - the very 1st paper is CONGRATULATIONS NEW CITIZEN - on that sheet
the very 1st point says :

- Make a copy of your Naturalization certificate to use to prove your citizenship. I highled this sentence with a yellow highlighter and took it with me to the bank with the Orginal Certificate and two copies.

I showed that sheet to the Manager and requested him to Notorize the copies. He did it without any questions. However I would like to mention that the Bank Manager knows me personally.

I am not sure if this will work for everybody, but there is no harm in trying. Even I was not sure I would be able to do it, but just gave it a try and it worked.

Good Luck..

By the way, if anyone wants to get the docs notarized, then you can get it done at the UPS store. All bank notary reps were duds, they refused to notarize the passport copy while the UPS guy took the copy on his pre-made form stating that he is notiarizing my signature. The bank reps couldn't even do that.

When asked, the Embassy in DC replied to me by email that sending $!75 towards cancelling the India PP would suffice. However, when you read the posts here, other consulates are insisting on the surrender certificate.

Not sure if I should get the surrender certificate before applying for OCI at DC. Confusing!!
chola

Chola, my friend... that email that they sent you ... send along a copy of the same with all your documents and highlight it to make sure to let them know that you followed their instructions. That doesn't mean that they wouldn't send your docs back ... they can do whatever they like to ... right ...

Sam, I'm seriously thinking of getting a 1 yr visa for myself & my wife. I will have to pay $175 each for the Surrender Certificate.
This would be a $350 additional expense - maybe the cost of peace of mind?

With rule changes, I'm not sure how much processing times will be adversly impacted. The visa will be something we can fall back on in case of emergency.
chola

I hear you dude... so much uncertainty, we need to be prepared for any case of emergency, I made this mistake I guess, I should've also got the visa along with my wife when they were still issuing the Tourist Visas and canceling the Indian passport without any fees. like 1st week of May ... damn