OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Sure, I will let you know NovaCitizen. I live in Northern Virginia too.

Hi Maria,
It looks like we both will receive the documents at DC same day.......

Let me know when you are mailing the PP...I will also mail on same day...so we can have some track of our PPs with embassy....I live in Northern virgina....even UPS ground will deliver my PP to DC on next day.............I think we should plan for coming Monday to mail our PPs......

Indian embassy has no consistency for just about anything. I see novacitizen's docs were Ack'ed within 4 days of receipt and Marais's docs were Ack'ed within 1 day of receipt and mine they have not yet Ack'ed, its 6th working day from their receipt of docs.

I think they should at-least Ack'ed the documents as early as same day so that we are not banging our head on the wall thinking that they have lost our docs... just a thought...

Summitman isn't ready to share his post day I guess :) thanks anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
what is phone number to contact OCI cell in Washington DC. Please let me know.

HERE ARE THE PHONE NUMBER I OBTAINED FROM TSB AND USED.

The following are Phone numbers i called. 202-939-9860( General OCI Enquiry).202-939-9861,
202-939-9862,202-939-9835,202-939-9836

MAKE SURE YOU SEND AN EMAIL TO THEM ...........IT's NOT EASY TO REACH THEM ON THE PHONE AT ALL.
BUT THEY DO REVIEW THE EMAILS ON DAILY BASIS, PER MY UNDERSTANDING

GOOD LUCK.

GEE24

Indian embassy has no consistency for just about anything. I see novacitizen's docs were Ack'ed within 4 days of receipt and Marais's docs were Ack'ed within 1 day of receipt and mine they have not yet Ack'ed, its 6th working day from their receipt of docs.

I think they should at-least Ack'ed the documents as early as same day so that we are not banging our head on the wall thinking that they have lost our docs... just a thought...

I am also in the same boat, documents recvd at the embassy on 4/26 and No ack yet. Just not able to figure out how these folks function.

Dispatched 5/5/10

Hi Maria,
It looks like we both will receive the documents at DC same day.......

Let me know when you are mailing the PP...I will also mail on same day...so we can have some track of our PPs with embassy....I live in Northern virgina....even UPS ground will deliver my PP to DC on next day.............I think we should plan for coming Monday to mail our PPs......

Hi NovaCitizen & Marais,
I am in the same boat too. Mine was dispatched from Delhi on 5/5. I am wondering if it arrives by a bullock cart or a horse cart.

04/13/2010: OCI Docs mailed to Washington, DC
04/??/2010: Received at Washington, DC (forgot to do certified mail)
04/20/2010: Acknowledged
04/23/2010: Scanned
04/30/2010: Granted
05/01/2010: Printed
05/05/2010: Dispatched from Delhi
xx/xx/2010: Received at Washington
xx/xx/2010: Mailed US Passports to Washington
xx/xx/2010: Passports received at Washington
xx/xx/2010: OCI Received by Me

:confused:
Hi,
I am in a need of sound advise because I am just brain fried after thinking about this issue over and over. As you see from my status, I am pretty close to receiving my OCI. Unfortunately, I have a India ticket (non-refundable) booked for 5/19. I am not in a position to change the departure date because I have to attend an important event.

I do not have to have OCI before leaving, but it would be nice to have it in case if I need it for a financial transaction.

What do you guys suggest I should do? Forget OCI and get a tourist visa or take a chance and send in passport to the embassy?

I am tired of thinking and just can't think straight. Ideas welcome.

--------------------------------------

hey--get 6months visa on same day if u r local to DC area --- don't think of getting OCI before 5/19........moreover from our embassy :)

Hi,
I am in a need of sound advise because I am just brain fried after thinking about this issue over and over. As you see from my status, I am pretty close to receiving my OCI. Unfortunately, I have a India ticket (non-refundable) booked for 5/19. I am not in a position to change the departure date because I have to attend an important event.

I do not have to have OCI before leaving, but it would be nice to have it in case if I need it for a financial transaction.

What do you guys suggest I should do? Forget OCI and get a tourist visa or take a chance and send in passport to the embassy?

Hi,

FIRST OF ALL,........ GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
HERE IS MY SUGGESTION ..........ANOTHER OPTION ( APPLY APPROPRIATE DISCOUNT TO THIS.......PER YOUR JUDGEMENT)

THERE IS A FAIR CHANCE THAT YOU MAY GET IT BEFORE YOUR SCHEDULED DEPARTURE TIME
MY GUESS IS .....IT SHOULD REACH DC BY MAY 10TH.... AND YOU CAN SEND YOUR AMERICAN PASSPORT BY OVERNIGHT TO ENSURE IT REACHES BY MAY 11TH OR SO.... AND SO ON...

HOWEVER, IF I WERE YOU, I WOULD SEND AN EMAIL TO THE EMBASSY (OCI GUYS) EXPLAINING THE SITUATION.... AND GO THERE ON A SPECIFIED DAY TO COLLECT THE PASSPORTS IN PERSON.
THEY MAY OBLIGE.....NOT SURE............. JUST MY THOUGHTS.
AND IF YOUR FLIGHT IS OUT OF DC..........IT WOULD BE GREAT AS WELL.
SEND AN EMAIL TO THEM (ociwashington@indiagov.org) ABOUT YOUR SITUATION AND GIVE YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER.....

GEE24

DSOM, dude you are the risk taker really ... I wouldn't have applied for OCI in the first place if I were to go to India on May 19. You took a big risk ... and put yourself in this situation.

Solution:
You need to take a step towards getting the Visitor Visa immediately if you don't want to jeopardize your journey and the money that you paid for the ticket. IT IS NOT WORTH TAKING ANY FURTHER RISKS PERIOD.

You have to read last couple of pages of this valuable thread and you will be able to see why I say this. there are many including Gee24 who got burnt by these Embassy folks and you don't want to send in your passport and than play wait and watch game. Once your passports are gone, you will be on the mercy of the Embassy folks and in deep problem if they won't send you the passport back in time...

Honestly dude, I got my wife a visa (Sent docs on the same day I sent mine for OCI, look at my signature for dates), she is schedule to go in late June...

GO GET VISA :) hopefully this will clear your mind and will give you one direction ... All the best.

PIO Card - how long does it take in reality?

Hi guys:
I have applied for PIO card for my son (sent by mail today).
Travel is planned for June 27th. Do you think there is a good chance for the PIO card to come in? or I should apply for a visa?.

Your thoughts please. The embassy says "45 working (business) days" but I want to get a feel of the actual dates from anyone who applied and got recently.

Thanks.

I applied with self attestation for my daughter. I did not get my daughters birth certifcate notarized. I received the approval and stamp. Looks like for kids, they dont need notarization.

I sent the oci app for my 18 month old daughter by registered post with ack receipt. I never received ack receipt. FYI, I did not get the birth cert notarized, but I notarized anyhting else they asked me to notarize. I sent the birth cert with self attestation. I got the passport and OCI last week.

03/16/10: Received at Washington.
03/26/10: Acknowledgement received
04/02/10: Granted
04/02/10: Photo Scanned
04/06/10: Docs Printed
04/08/10: Dispatched from Delhi.
04/14/10: Received at Washington
04/16/10: Passports received at Washington
04/21/10: OCI and PP back

Anybody have any issues with OCI application with respect to names not matching with Indian PP & US PP?
chola

Hi Marais and GC2USC ,
My docs recived at DC today -- I am sending it thru UPS today --

Sweet, they changed the policy to cancel the Indian Passport and I am suspecting that is the reason why they have not ack'ed my application yet - straight from DC Embassy website:

Note (1). According to Passport Act 1967, it is mandatory to get Indian Passport cancelled by the Indian Embassy. There is a fee of $175 for getting Indian Passport cancelled. Indian Passport of US national, expiring on or after 1st January 2005, and if the Indian Passport is not cancelled even after 3 years of acquiring US citizenship, such Indian passport holder needs to pay a fine of $250 in addition to $175 renunciation fee. You are required to pay above fees if applicable in addition to the OCI and Mailing fees.

when I went for 6 monthstourist visa in Dec 09, they just cancelled it and gave it back -- and they didn't charge anything ....

Well, we just received my wife's passport canceled with no charges last Tuesday ... guess what they are not going to cancel my passport now without any charge :) What a set back ... Pissed yes...

No man, I am sorry. I was bit busy in life(work & personal).

I have applied on04/05/10. Ack'ed on 04/21/10

My wife OCI card is received yesterday 05/11/10.

My status still says - I don't know what is wrong. I can not call anyone in washington DC.

Here is my status

Applicant's Name XXXXXXXXXXXX
Date Of Acknowledgment 21-APR-2010
Application Status
Registration Status Granted On 23-APR-2010
Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at WASHINGTON NOT YET

Thanks