OCI - Washington DC Tracker

KS2001,

Yes. I noticed that too. There seems to be no new File no. generated since July 28, 2009.

Have you combined the fees as one cashier's check / M.O -or- one per applicant ? I sent one combined fees and the fact that they had acknowledged just my application is a cause for concern for me. I sent 2 emails last week but did not get any response.

I am wondering if they did not even see other applications clipped right below mine and perhaps considered it as one application. I even enclosed a cover letter with all the four registration numbers in bold..

I just hope that there is a simpler reason .. like the person doing the data entry went on a 1 week vacation in the middle of processing some applications..
V_help,
I sent one MO for all the 4 members just like you did. Not sure what is going on with DC. All other consulates are moving so fast... I am seeing files nos with ACK dates in early june still not granted. For now I am only hoping for the ack. date. I will bother abt the grant staus later!

Indian2 and meangreen did you got the passport back?

JG1,
I have not received the passports yet, they responded to emails on Aug 3 saying they are mailing it back on Aug 3. We still have not recieved it and I do not have the tracking number for the prepaid expressmail envelop enclosed with the application. Now we are in a pickle waiting for Embassy to confirm that they did use the prepaid envelop and that they actually mailed it.

Just want to join the thread here. I and my family recently submitted our OCI applications (3 of us). Here is our timeline information.

Application Received at Embassy (according to USPS): 08/05/2009
Application acknowledged: xx/xx/xx
07Photos/signature scanned: xx/xx/xx
Registration status granted: xx/xx/xx
Documents Printed: xx/xx/xx
Documents dispatched from New Delhi: xx/xx/xx
OCI & PP rcvd: xx/xx/xx

I mailed my application to Indian Embassy on July 3rd and I haven't received the acknowledgment (via online). I tried to call Indian embassy and all I got is answering machine. I emailed second time and haven't received a reply.

Is it normal?

I was an Indian citizen (Indian passport holder) who was born in a foreign country to my Indian parents and now a US citizen. Is that a reason why the process takes time?

Any idea?

JG1,
I have not received the passports yet, they responded to emails on Aug 3 saying they are mailing it back on Aug 3. We still have not recieved it and I do not have the tracking number for the prepaid expressmail envelop enclosed with the application. Now we are in a pickle waiting for Embassy to confirm that they did use the prepaid envelop and that they actually mailed it.

we got the passports back today, quite relieved, thanks to V_help and others for the help/suggestions. Plan to go to DC for the Visa on Tuesday

This morning I went to the Indian Embassy and spoke to the officer in person about my OCI application. He entered my registration number on the internet (online system) and it is not acknowledged yet. He told me that he will call me back. So When I was walking toward the exit door, he called me immediately back to him after he found that the system was updated. That's good news! At the least, they've started working again on OCI applications (based in Washington DC) for everyone who wants to apply for OCI.

Here's my updated information:

Mailed OCI application: July 3rd, 2009
Received OCI Application at Indian Embassy in Washington DC: July 6th, 2009
Date of Acknowledgment: August 7, 2009
Registration Status: Under Process
Documents Printing Status: Not Printed
Documents Dispatched from Delhi on: Not Dispatched
Documents Received at: Washington NOT YET

USGC485, I am planning to go to embassy as well to find out where are my passports. Its over 1 month since I sent them for oci stamping and no response from them. Can you tell me how you were able to get in touch with some one on OCI section? And did you went through the normal entrance for visa applicant or there is other way to go? What time would be good so to get hold of someone there.
Thanks for the help.

USGC485, I am planning to go to embassy as well to find out where are my passports. Its over 1 month since I sent them for oci stamping and no response from them. Can you tell me how you were able to get in touch with some one on OCI section? And did you went through the normal entrance for visa applicant or there is other way to go? What time would be good so to get hold of someone there.
Thanks for the help.

Just walk into visa section and ask the clerk officer. 9 am would be good.

Additional Photos

I was all set to mail my OCI application and then realized that Washington DC consulate requires 3 additional photos in addition to the two afiixed on the two application forms. I only got 4 photos from Costco, and because I dont have the fifth one it looks like I have to start the process all over again, as I dont think I can get the reprints of the same picture from Costco.

I am so tempted to send the form with just 2 additional photos, but not sure if it will be accepted. I dont understand why the process is different for different consultates. I am so frustrated with this whole process.

Where is it mentioned on their website that they need 3 additional photographs ?

http://www.indianembassy.org/newsite/oci.asp

"attach third photograph in an envelope with name written on the back of photograph"

Third photograph is not the same as three photographs IMHO.

Scroll down and see where it says the following:

What is required along with OCI application printed online:

· Two copies of Part A and Part B

· Three - (2" X 2") - size photographs

Well that's still 3 photographs and not three "additional" photographs !

"You must also paste Two PHOTOGRAPHS of 2 inches x 2 inches IN COLOR FOR EACH APPLICANT on the space provided on the PART A. DO NOT STAPLE the photographs. Attach third photograph in an envelope with name written on the back of photograph."

The third photo I'm guessing is required for scanning only by Embassy at DC. There's no use/requirements for any more copies.

Well that's still 3 photographs and not three "additional" photographs !

"You must also paste Two PHOTOGRAPHS of 2 inches x 2 inches IN COLOR FOR EACH APPLICANT on the space provided on the PART A. DO NOT STAPLE the photographs. Attach third photograph in an envelope with name written on the back of photograph."

The third photo I'm guessing is required for scanning only by Embassy at DC. There's no use/requirements for any more copies.

Ok, check out this link - http://www.indianembassy.org/consular/Overseas_Citizen/OCI.html

and see where it says the following:

5. The completed application form (Part A & Part B) must be submitted in duplicate by mail to the Embassy. Besides affixing photographs on the application forms, the applicant must submit three (3) color photographs (size 3.5 cm X 3.5 cm), taken against a light background (Not white).

Do you still think its not 3 additional photos? I am confused as hell.

I think I was looking at the old website. It looks like only one additional photo is required now. Thanks for your help.

1. The embassy website lists this for fees. I'm applying for 3 OCI applicants, one PIO to OCI. So now should I attach ($275*3 for OCI+$25 for PIO to OCI + $25 for mailing)
I am not sure if I should attach $25 + $20 for mailing or just $25 should be ok for all.

"The application fee for registration under the OCI Scheme is US$ 275. An additional amount of US $20 towards return mailing charges and a self addressed envelope should also be sent with the application. $20 Mailing can be made as one cc/mo along with the OCI fees of $275. For a family $25 as a mailing charges should be added along with the OCI fees. For PIO card holders, the fee for OCI is US$ 25, this amount along with US$ 20/- for return mailing charges should be sent along with the application."

2.Should I attach the third photograph ( all family members) in one envelope or should i make 4 envelopes for 4 applicants?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
any progress?

V_help,
I sent one MO for all the 4 members just like you did. Not sure what is going on with DC. All other consulates are moving so fast... I am seeing files nos with ACK dates in early june still not granted. For now I am only hoping for the ack. date. I will bother abt the grant staus later!

v_help,

Any progress getting ack numbers for you family? I got a email respose saying they were relooking at my application, but nothing after that.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW...