OCI - Washington DC Tracker

Hi,

My OCI application along with family members' was received by Indian Embassy about a week ago and today I saw the File (Acknowledgement) No. on the status inquiry page.

I see the File(Acknowledgement) No. just for myself. When I inquire using online registration numbers of my family members , I don't get the file numbers eventhough we sent all the applications in a single envelope.

Is this normal process to generate / update just one file number for the entire family -or- the file numbers for my family is likely to be updated later on ?

Can someone share similar experience if any ?

Thanks.

In almost all cases, all the applications for a family applying together move together. Sometimes they don't if there is a problem with photo/signature, etc. for one or more family members. Wait for a few days and see if other applications also get acknowledged before getting concerned - they might have just stopped the processing for the day in the middle of your family's package.

I had submitted the original passports along with the application against my better judgement, now I am trying to get them to send it back. I have plans to visit india on 17th Aug and want to apply for visa.

There is no response by phone (always to answering machine and no option to leave message) and fax (always a busy tone).

Email response was quick initially and they asked me to confirm returning of the passport but once I re-sent the confirmation email (Jul 24), they have not responded so far. Any suggestions? (other than postponing the tickets)
thanks

meangreen,

Depending on where you live, appearing in person with the required documents for the visa is an option.

meangreen,

Depending on where you live, appearing in person with the required documents for the visa is an option.

V_Help, thanks for the reply

yes, Travisa outsourcing (WashingtonDC) does allow that, but unfortunately I had sent the US passports with the applications and embassy is not responding my requests for returning them. I need to obtain the passports before I can go in person for the visa,
Not sure what to do at this time

V_Help, thanks for the reply

yes, Travisa outsourcing (WashingtonDC) does allow that, but unfortunately I had sent the US passports with the applications and embassy is not responding my requests for returning them. I need to obtain the passports before I can go in person for the visa,
Not sure what to do at this time

I would go the embassy and explain the situation and if things workout, you can get the visa right away

meangreen,

Actually, I meant -appearing in person- is for getting your passport from the embassy by explaining the situation and possibly showing some proof ( emails may be.. ) and then try to obtain visa thru Travisa.

In my personal opinion, it is reasonable to show up in person since your other options to communicate has not worked out.

meangreen,

Actually, I meant -appearing in person- is for getting your passport from the embassy by explaining the situation and possibly showing some proof ( emails may be.. ) and then try to obtain visa thru Travisa.

In my personal opinion, it is reasonable to show up in person since your other options to communicate has not worked out.

V_Help, I understand, thanks for explaining. I plan to give it another 3 - 4 days and then making a trip to DC. thanks again for the help

Have sent 2 applications for my sisters.. here is the status so far......

06/10/2009 - Application acknowledged
07/24/2009 - Photos/signature scanned
07/27/2009 - Registration status granted
07/28/2009 - Documents Printed
07/30/2009 - Documents dispatched from New Delhi
0x/xx/2009 - OCI & PP rcvd

06/20/2009 - Application acknowledged
0x/xx/2009 - Photos/signature scanned
0x/xx/2009 - Registration status granted
0x/xx/2009 - Documents Printed
0x/xx/2009 - Documents dispatched from New Delhi

Cannot remember whether I sent the return postal fee

Hi,
We 4 have applied to DC center long back and everything is approved - waiting for us to send the 4 passports (2 parents and 2 kids). But, I have sent $1125 to the embassy. 275*4 comes to about 1100. $20 postal fee - is it for them to mail the documents to Delhi and receive the same? If so, I should send a separate envelope for all the 4 OCI "stamped" passports. Am I correct?
Moderators, you can move this thread if this is not right location.
Thanks!
Ravi.

Have sent 2 applications for my sisters.. here is the status so far......

06/10/2009 - Application acknowledged
07/24/2009 - Photos/signature scanned
07/27/2009 - Registration status granted
07/28/2009 - Documents Printed
07/30/2009 - Documents dispatched from New Delhi

06/20/2009 - Application acknowledged
0x/xx/2009 - Photos/signature scanned
0x/xx/2009 - Registration status granted
0x/xx/2009 - Documents Printed
0x/xx/2009 - Documents dispatched from New Delhi

When did you mail them?

I mailed my application to Indian Embassy on July 3rd and I haven't received the acknowledgment (via online). I tried to call Indian embassy and all I got is answering machine. I emailed second time and haven't received a reply.

Is it normal?

I was an Indian citizen (Indian passport holder) who was born in a foreign country to my Indian parents and now a US citizen. Is that a reason why the process takes time?

Passport Not recieved

I send my passport on July7 and were received on Jul8. I havent got the passport back and contacting the embassey has not helped either. I see other response of appearing in the embassey and see if they can help. Is This common problem with the Washington Office? Its over 3 week and I havent got the passport back or the response saying why is the delay.
I sent the passport with the proof saying application is approved and Indian passport for cancelation.

Hi,
We 4 have applied to DC center long back and everything is approved - waiting for us to send the 4 passports (2 parents and 2 kids). But, I have sent $1125 to the embassy. 275*4 comes to about 1100. $20 postal fee - is it for them to mail the documents to Delhi and receive the same? If so, I should send a separate envelope for all the 4 OCI "stamped" passports. Am I correct?
Moderators, you can move this thread if this is not right location.
Thanks!
Ravi.

The additional postal fee you included is for the embassy to mail you your OCI booklets and passports with U-visa stickers. If your docs have been received by the embassy, go ahead and send your US passport for final processing (and your Indian passports if they need to be canceled).

I'll merge this to the DC tracker thread.

Wanted to post my timelines:

1) OCI applied for self, spouse and one kid who is PIO. on July 20th.
2) Application delivered on 21st July.
3) Received the entire application back on Aug 04.

The return reason is incorrect fees. I had sent in a MO for USD 575. (which is 275x2 + 25 for the PIO applicant). Wondering whats missing. I'm going to send a note explaining the fees enclosed along with additional MO of USD 20 to make them happy. I'm just mad at loosing 2 weeks in an already slow process. Just for the kick of it I'm actually planning to send the entire docket to SFO office since they have a faster processing. At the most they will also send the entire packet back ;)

sk72,

Just curious.. Have you tried to look up your online registration number to see of the application was acknowledged and a File no. generated at least for your application ?

In my case, I sent 4 applications (self + family) and only mine got acknowledged about 10 days ago. No emails / any other communication on what the issue with the other applications -- if at all there is any..

Thanks.

sk72,

Just curious.. Have you tried to look up your online registration number to see of the application was acknowledged and a File no. generated at least for your application ?

In my case, I sent 4 applications (self + family) and only mine got acknowledged about 10 days ago. No emails / any other communication on what the issue with the other applications -- if at all there is any..

Thanks.

Well, last time I checked it was not acknowledged. Now I know -they didnt encash the fees that I sent. I beleive that they would encash the fees before processing and generating the acknowledgement. But I noticed that they had a paper included marking the deficiency and it was dated 24th July but the package (they used UPS !) didnt make it back to me till today. So you may wait a little and see if either its acknowledge or you receive additional information.

sk72,

Thanks.

I am exactly in the same situation. I got my acknowledgement 10 days back, but not the other 3 members im my family. I tried to contact them via email, but of no help. Actually if you had noticed, I am not seeing any new file numbers generated in the tracking system for a long time.

KS2001,

Yes. I noticed that too. There seems to be no new File no. generated since July 28, 2009.

Have you combined the fees as one cashier's check / M.O -or- one per applicant ? I sent one combined fees and the fact that they had acknowledged just my application is a cause for concern for me. I sent 2 emails last week but did not get any response.

I am wondering if they did not even see other applications clipped right below mine and perhaps considered it as one application. I even enclosed a cover letter with all the four registration numbers in bold..

I just hope that there is a simpler reason .. like the person doing the data entry went on a 1 week vacation in the middle of processing some applications..

KS2001,

Yes. I noticed that too. There seems to be no new File no. generated since July 28, 2009.

Have you combined the fees as one cashier's check / M.O -or- one per applicant ? I sent one combined fees and the fact that they had acknowledged just my application is a cause for concern for me. I sent 2 emails last week but did not get any response.

I am wondering if they did not even see other applications clipped right below mine and perhaps considered it as one application. I even enclosed a cover letter with all the four registration numbers in bold..

I just hope that there is a simpler reason .. like the person doing the data entry went on a 1 week vacation in the middle of processing some applications..

I'm beginning to doubt that the person in charge is not going beyond the top page :) . At least they should have the brains to match the fees with the no. of the applicants. In my case I'm assuming that they thought the fees is either too much (575 for a single person) or too less (assuming 275 for each). I re-shipped my application package with a letter explaining the fees enclosed and also an additional 20 bucks for bakhshish ! I'll have to wait atleast two to three weeks before I know the fate.
Since we have so few people posting here - I'd request all those who have applied to actively post timelines.
Thanks in advance.

sk72,

I agree. I looked at the number of ack. numbers generated for last year. Looks like they had about 7000 ( 6956 to be exact). Assuming atleast 75 % of these paid the full fee ($275), it comes to about $1.434 million. Even if 10% of this fee is utilized exclusively for processing the OCI applications at this embassy, it would come to about $143,000. I don't think the level of service offered remotely reflects the fees collected from the applicants.

With only about 7000 applications acknowledged last year, assuming there was a 2 week holiday for the embassy, the average number of applications per day comes to 27. With $143K, they could hire 3 data entry people, each processing a whopping 9 applications per day -or- 1 per hour.

Not much of a service ..