OCI - Washington DC Tracker

I am very sorry to hear that. I can precisely understand the whole pain, and many times they are so rude. If you are lucky you get a smiling face. I dont understand why they ever take the job if they are not interested or passionate. Once I went to DC embassy to pick up the passport in evening, the person just told me passport is not here and missing. He told so casually as if some a pencil was missing. Then I waited till all the people left, my worry was they handed out two passports to someone. After waiting they came back and told me they found it and just gave. No sorry or anything whatsoever. I never expected that anyway. Why dont they have a fully staffed person on a 1-800 number on all of the consulates and give service. We are not asking anything for free. I understand USCIS is very bad too, but the state govt that issues passport seem to be fully staffed and prompt.

I got my first US passport in 8 days. My first Indian passport took over 3 months and a visit by the so called policeman to my home who demanded 200 rupees in 1990 from my father. The rent we paid in a small town was around that much then for a month. Without that bribe, I would not have got the Indian passport.

Whatever Dr APJ says in his remarks, I dont think India is changing at its core. Yet most us yearn to go back one day! There is a personal side, spiritual side and a national side. The politicians dont change at all in India. Corrupt as ever.
If someone is as brave as Manjunath he gets gunned down, I am sure with the aide of politicians. http://manjunathshanmugam.blogspot.com/. Raju Narayanaswamy, first rank IAS officer who stands boldly to corrupt politicians gets transaferred every week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Desihai Thank you

Desihai Thank you for understanding the whole pain. I called again Indian Embassy and ask them if it is ok to report "US Department of State" that the passport has been lost so that I could reply for new passport. I don't know what happend the Indian Embassy employee frightened and told me to wait for his call and not to report anyone. Then he called me within two hour and said they find the passport and they will send passport and PIO card in 10 days(without even sorry or apology).

I am still waiting for my son's passport and PIO card. I will update again next week.

Orrisa good to hear they found it.I got call from them yesterday.she was all worked up .I had sent in my passport to get oci stamping done.This lady calls me and tell me that I have provided incorrect passport numbers.Turns out I missed a digit.LIKE SHOOT ME FOR THAT.I felt like saying what were you guys smoking when you recived the intial package and what about the folks in Delhi who are suppose to do a detailed check on your documents.This shows that there is flaws in the system.Anyways she was asking me to send in another 25$ to reissue OCI card.I am like "NOT", after reading all these threads on line.I was like just put an endorsment and I will be fine.last thing I want is my passports lying in embassy where anything can get lost.Still waiting to get in mail to see the outcome.Just thought I share it with you guys.I am do glad this OCI process is done.

Orissa - Please provide number you called

I am stuck at exactly where you are. Can you please provide the number you called. I cannot get through to anyone on the phone. The number on the website (202)939-9863 goes to extension 5863, but the person never answers and the voicemail box has been "full" since last 3 days so cannot leave a message. Have been trying to send email - NO replies yet. I hope some compassionate person at embassy will help. But if someone can at least answer the phone and give the estimated date it will be a big help.
I sincerely hope I will never have to deal with them again. It is very frustrating.

why can't the embassies just let us come and get the stamping done in person? i know its expensive to fly to get it done but it's much better than having to worry if the embassy lost / misplaced the passport.

spongebob007,

I understand the depth of frustratation because I am going through all that right now. I am typing all this number down here. You need lots of patience and courage to deal with Indian Embassy Washington folks. You may have to dial several time. Some time I have try 20 to 25 times by just pressing re-dial key in my phone.

Call this number - (202) 939-9832 ( His name is Mahi or Wahi I found this from his unclear voice mail.

I have another number (202) 939-9831

Try this two number and let me know.

I am stuck at exactly where you are. Can you please provide the number you called. I cannot get through to anyone on the phone. The number on the website (202)939-9863 goes to extension 5863, but the person never answers and the voicemail box has been "full" since last 3 days so cannot leave a message. Have been trying to send email - NO replies yet. I hope some compassionate person at embassy will help. But if someone can at least answer the phone and give the estimated date it will be a big help.
I sincerely hope I will never have to deal with them again. It is very frustrating.

PIO Card Isssue

For PIO card issue dial all this number. Make sure you speak to them in very sweet voice in return they will be very rude and unprofessional. Also use frequently "Sir" and "Jee Saheb" during your conversation otherwise they will never very helpful. They talk as if they are doing a big obligation to all Indian by leaving their office in New Delhi. After all India got its freedom from British in 1947 but practically slave thing is remain there.

We were all very fine with all this lazy indian official back in India, I guess we all used to before then. But now since we all living in USA and become used to great customer service every where in Post Office, DMV, Banks, Doctor Office and Hospital. Thats why it really frustrattion for all of us.

1 - (202) 939-9832 (Person name Mahi or Wahi)

2 - (202) 939-9831

3 - (202) 939-9867 x 5867

4 - (202) 939-9806

5 - (202) 939-7000 x 5863

6 - (202) 939-9862

7 - (202) 939-9851 (Passport lost)

I think we should launch a campaign (letter/email) to the chief consular officer. Also we should take this issue with the NRI organization in U.S. if any or Indian foreign ministry.
Abhuda

I also think the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas or whatever that is, should address all these concerns. They give out awards to Sunita Williams and Vikram Pandit on those meetings hoping the will bring dollars to India. Bit no one really cares or surveys how OCI/PIO etc is working.

As orissa, says we are used to a different customer service now. I just rented a car at Hertz in a major airport where thousands of car are rented in and out and it works without a glitch. The whole process for checking in/out takes probably 2 mins. Imagine if this was run by a Indian govt. We should have notarized documents of license, affidavit of self attestation of DMV registation forms, triplicate copies of insurance, 4 photos of size 3.25in x 5.6 cm ....

Also, these folks at the consulate never work out of the indian govt red-tape system. Egoish, super bossy, rude,....
Their boss, their super duper boss all are like that. As with most other indian govt employee, they think the indian citizen is at their mercy to get a service they deserve. They never realise they are being paid by indian tax money.

having said that, I do know there are some--- VERY FEW- who do their best and wanted to make life easier for everyone, but their numbers are VERY limited.

Although, it is slightly off topic - that of Embassy in Washington, I would like to share my experience. When I lived in Oregon few years ago, I had to deal with SF consulate for a variety of things (renewal of passport, visa etc). During that time, they were very professional in answering questions, processing the documents very promptly etc. All my experiences were pleasant (nothing to complain about). I am not sure how it is now.

But now I have to deal with Houston consulate, their attitude and professionalism is totally opposite. I have had several dealings with them and none of the experiences were pleasant.

Still Waiting for Indian Embassy Mercy

Last time (January 24, 2008) I spoke to Embassy the gentle man said your PIO and Passport will be delivered within 5 days. Today is sixth day and checked mail as always no mail from Embassy. Almost 6 week passed no delivery yet. Where as in Indian Embassy website they mentioned PIO will be done in two weeks time frame.

Note: I hope someday some how the HE. Ambassador Ronen Sen will read this forum and will take some action.

Got Passport and PIO

I received finally my son's PIO and Passport. Whole process took more than 6 weeks. While they claim 2 week in Indian Embassy Website.

Applied on - December 18, 2007.

Received on - February 2, 2008

Thank you Indian Embassy Washington DC.

Here is my status:

Status update:

Mailed OCI application for family of 4: 01-18-2008
Date Of Acknowledgment: 01-30-2008
Photo/Signature Scanned: 02-18-2008

--SRK

OCI Followup

I have applied for OCI and mailed my application on Jan 24th 2008. I have not received any acknowledgement.
Is any of you received acknowledgement who applied OCI at washington DC.

I have called and left a message to OCI for 3 times and no responses.

Hey,

I don't think you will get any acknowledgement.. All you can do is online status check. Online status should reflect the status.

--SRK

I have applied for OCI and mailed my application on Jan 24th 2008. I have not received any acknowledgement.
Is any of you received acknowledgement who applied OCI at washington DC.

I have called and left a message to OCI for 3 times and no responses.