OCI versus PIO

bkd52

Registered Users (C)
I just received my US passport. But I dont want to lose ties to India. I own property in INdia, and will probably buy another one. Plus I dont want to apply for a visitors visa every time.

What is better, OCI or PIO?

I read up a little on both, but wanted to hear from forum members what they think.

For financial and investment purposes you are considered a PIO with or without OCI card or PIO card. You can invest in stocks, open and maintain NRI bank accounts and buy/sell non agricultural property (with some restrictions in selling) just like any other NRI.

OCI and PIO cards are simply visas for long term stay in India. They also offer some other benefits like parity with NRIs regarding education, etc. OCI registration is a one time investment and is valid lifelong whereas PIO card needs to be renewed every 15 years and is more expensive than OCI.

If you want a permanent visa to India OCI is the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
For financial and investment purposes you are considered a PIO with or without OCI card or PIO card. You can invest in stocks, open and maintain NRI bank accounts and buy/sell non agricultural property (with some restrictions in selling) just like any other NRI.

OCI and PIO cards are simply visas for long term stay in India. They also offer some other benefits like parity with NRIs regarding education, etc. OCI registration is a one time investment and is valid lifelong whereas PIO card needs to be renewed every 15 years and is more expensive than OCI.

If you want a permanent visa to India OCI is the way to go.

So if OCI is just a permanent visa, does that mean that citizens of other countries have same privileges as Indians that take up US citizenship? Meaning that, any non-Indian citizen can buy non-agricultural property in India? I thought there were some restrictions on that.

Why PIO is expensive than OCI?

I will be applying for my visa (PIO or OCI) very soon but could not able to figure it out why PIO is more expensive than OCI where as it should be opposite and OCI is life time visa and PIO is for 15 yrs. Is there any drawback on getting OCI visa?

Gurus, pls input your comments? :)

I will be applying for my visa (PIO or OCI) very soon but could not able to figure it out why PIO is more expensive than OCI where as it should be opposite and OCI is life time visa and PIO is for 15 yrs. Is there any drawback on getting OCI visa?

Gurus, pls input your comments? :)

PIO card you get in 10- 15 days from Indian consulate. OCI takes about 2-3 months and is approved in India by government. if you get PIO and later you apply for OCI then I think you will only pay $25 for OCI as you will have PIO.

PIO card you get in 10- 15 days from Indian consulate. OCI takes about 2-3 months and is approved in India by government. if you get PIO and later you apply for OCI then I think you will only pay $25 for OCI as you will have PIO.

PIO card takes 45 business days in DC area -- I applied last month --still waiting --