OCI - San Francisco Tracker

I got mine through FedEx today. But, the final delay was from FedEx. Apparently, when I was mailing the application, I was asked if I need some 'upgrade' for the return and I said yes. So, they took more money for my return. Travisa sent out my passport on Friday (4/29). FedEx status was updated the next day and it said that the delivery date would be May 04th. I live in Fremont and Travisa sent it from SFO. I called FedEx and they said that the 'upgrade' I paid for 'guarantees' that the package will be delivered in 3 business days. So, they will deliver it in 3 business days. So, I paid for guaranteed delivery in 3 days and they *will* take 3 days even if they can deliver it earlier. I told them that I will come and pick it up. But, FedEx wouldn't budge. They said they cannot release it. They took my package from SFO to Oakland to Memphis to Oakland (yes, back to Oakland) to Sacramento to Union City to Fremont. This is efficiency for you.
Anyway, I am done with this. Good luck to you all.

This made me laugh and I have very mixed feeling:
1. Why is system so stupid?
2. Looking at problem faced by others... my problems are small.

Anyway Congrats ... but you may have to go through this mess again sometime later in life. This is my third time :D

I think i am giving up on the name change right now. I would have done it before the interview if I had known. it costs about 250$-ish plus the newspaper ads and i feel its not needed now since timing is more important for me.

Do we just apply for surrender certificate along with OCI application then with travisa? Im still lost on what the best order to do things. Any suggestions?
1. Get Naturalisation certificate
2. apply for passport in oath cermony vs in post office.
3. apply for ssn chnage and dmv change and let office know of change of status.
4. apply for surrender certificate.
5. apply for oci.

Which order is recommended for least time waste?

Here is the trend on number of days it takes to print (based on the immihelp oci tracker)
HxdHS.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think i am giving up on the name change right now. I would have done it before the interview if I had known. it costs about 250$-ish plus the newspaper ads and i feel its not needed now since timing is more important for me.

Do we just apply for surrender certificate along with OCI application then with travisa? Im still lost on what the best order to do things. Any suggestions?
1. Get Naturalisation certificate
2. apply for passport in oath cermony vs in post office.
3. apply for ssn chnage and dmv change and let office know of change of status.
4. apply for surrender certificate.
5. apply for oci.

Which order is recommended for least time waste?

1. Get Naturalization Certificate.
2. Apply for SSN change.
3. Apply for passport at the post office after making copies of the Naturalization Certificate (smart idea to keep copies)
4. You can apply for OCI and SC together.

Carrying Canceled Indian Passports after getting OCI ?

Once we get the OCI, do we have to carry the Canceled Indian Passports while traveling to India ? I have 2 of them.

Also my son has an old US passport. Do we have to carry that as Well ?

Carrying Canceled Indian Passports after getting OCI ?

Once we get the OCI, do we have to carry the Canceled Indian Passports while traveling to India ? I have 2 of them.

Also my son has an old US passport. Do we have to carry that as Well ?

No need to carry old Indian passport. Just carry the new valid US passport, the old US passport that has U-Visa stamp in it (if applicable), and the OCI booklet.

BTW Have your documents been dispatched from Delhi yet? Mine were dispatched on the 29th and after almost 10 days it still says, "Not Yet" received at SF. I wonder if babus at SF would ever update that.

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to carry old Indian passport. Just carry the new valid US passport, the old US passport that has U-Visa stamp in it (if applicable), and the OCI booklet.

BTW Have your documents been dispatched from Delhi yet? Mine were dispatched on the 29th and after almost 10 days it still says, "Not Yet" received at SF. I wonder if babus at SF would ever update that.

Hi speakamericano : Thanks for replying.

I have been waiting patiently for the status to be updated with NO luck so far. When you look at the immihelp tracker, for 4/25 dispatch the guys received on 5/4. Mine was dispatched on 4/28 but not received yet. Hopefully we should receive it by this week :)

Hi speakamericano : Thanks for replying.

I have been waiting patiently for the status to be updated with NO luck so far. When you look at the immihelp tracker, for 4/25 dispatch the guys received on 5/4. Mine was dispatched on 4/28 but not received yet. Hopefully we should receive it by this week :)

I'm in the same boat as you guys, my passport was dispatched on the 28th and still no update from SFO. Hopefully this week. On another note they finally opened my moms missing information which they had received on 4/7. Status changed online on 5/6 for missing name change.

Same here... dispatched on 4/28.. not received in SF yet... It is probably coming by sea.

haha seriously. I wonder why it takes them so long to send diplomatic mail. I've a feeling that even though the dispatch date shows 26 or 28.. i think they send the documents at the end of the week together...

I am seeing this message in the Online OCI Enquiry page -

"Please contact the Mission/Office after 10 days from date of despatch or any day after receipt of documents at the Mission/Office, whichever is earlier. "

This is a Flash message at the bottom of the page. Does this mean anything and how do we contact those guys ? I heard that they are very unresponsive to phone calls ?

"Please contact the Mission/Office after 10 days from date of despatch or any day after receipt of documents at the Mission/Office, whichever is earlier. "

This is a Flash message at the bottom of the page. Does this mean anything and how do we contact those guys ? I heard that they are very unresponsive to phone calls ?

DUBLIN I saw that message 3 days ago. I contacted the Mission office as well as the SF consulate, but NO ONE REPLIED TO MY EMAIL... maybe if we send them 100 emails about the same question then they will reply... I still haven't gotten an update on my dispatched documents, Have you?

DUBLIN I saw that message 3 days ago. I contacted the Mission office as well as the SF consulate, but NO ONE REPLIED TO MY EMAIL... maybe if we send them 100 emails about the same question then they will reply... I still haven't gotten an update on my dispatched documents, Have you?

Not yet Speakamericano. We both should get at the same time if at all. I do not know if going to the Consulate will be any good ? I was hoping to get it last week itself looking at others timelines that were just before us by 3 days.