OCI - San Francisco Tracker

If anyone got their passports back from Travisa, can you let me know? I am a little concerned that no one knows the status of the passports. Is it normal for SFO to sit on these passports for a while before releasing them to Travisa.

I know 1 other person from a different website's forum. His passport was also held at the San Francisco Consulate for over a month. God knows what they were doing, but he had gotten his passport back after a month. Also, the passport never went to Travisa, he received the passport straight from the embassy.

Here's my timeline.

04/06/2011 Service order form completed online
04/07/2011 OCI application mailed via USPS
04/08/2011 OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing
04/21/2011 Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
04/27/2011 Documents prepared to go to Embassy

I think Travisa may have signed an agreement to adopt some of the best practices that the consulate folks had in place previously. Sucks indeed!

Travisa is weird. It takes them a week to open the mail. But if you drop in person, they will accept the papers on the same day, cash your money order on the same day. The next day they will dispatch the docs to the embassy. I don't know what takes them so long to open an envelope.

Travisa is weird. It takes them a week to open the mail. But if you drop in person, they will accept the papers on the same day, cash your money order on the same day. The next day they will dispatch the docs to the embassy. I don't know what takes them so long to open an envelope.

After seeing your timeline, I kicked myself for not going there and dropping it off in person.

I guess they don't give a f@#k, as they know we have no other option but to put up with their nonsense.

After seeing your timeline, I kicked myself for not going there and dropping it off in person.

I guess they don't give a f@#k, as they know we have no other option but to put up with their nonsense.

Travisa is just the mini version of the SF consulate. In my opinion, both have their flaws. Travisa won't correct the incorrect name on the Indian passport and Indian Consulate outsourced the service to Travisa without giving them complete sheet of instructions. Only thing Travisa is after is a Court document for name change. According to Travisa, there's no such thing as a name correction. It's all about court orders.

As someone in one of the previous posts mentioned, whoever outsourced the service to Travisa must have gotten good money. I see a lot of complaints where people are paying $250.00 penalty fee for surrendering their Indian passport. Passports that were made in 2003 or in India do not carry a stamp that states, "this passport must be surrendered." When I renewed my passport in 2008, luckily they had put a stamp in it that said Passport must be surrendered.

Either way, the system is corrupt. I don't mind paying the fee, but when they're lazy to do their job or when they put incorrect responses... annoys me.

My OCI Status

OCI mailed on : 3/19
OCI Recd at TraVisa : 3/21
OCI dispatched to CGI : 4/6
Date Of Acknowledgment: 4/6
Photo/Signature Scanned: 4/7
Registration Status :Granted on 4/7
Documents Printing Status : Documents Printed on 4/23
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: 4/28

04/14/2011 3:25pm PST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed (dropped by in person at 2pm)
04/16/2011 11:27am PST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
04/18/2011 8:41am PST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate

MHA:
Date Of Acknowledgment.................17-APR-2011
Photo/Signature Scanned On...........19-APR-2011
Registration Status Granted On........19-APR-2011
Documents Printing Status...............PRINTED
Documents Printed On....................25-APR-2011
Documents Dispatched ..................29-APR-2011
Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO...........NOT YET

Updated status

Travisa:
--------
04/06/2011 Service order form completed online
04/07/2011 OCI application mailed via USPS
04/08/2011 OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing
04/21/2011 Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
04/27/2011 Documents prepared to go to Embassy
04/28/2011 Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate

MHA:
-----
Date Of Acknowledgment: 28-APR-2011
Photo/Signature Scanned On: 29-APR-2011
Registration Status Granted On: 29-APR-2011

Last edited by a moderator:
My OCI Status
The wait time to open the envelope is about a week - it is no longer three weeks -- It appears that the volume of applications here follows the same pattern that checkout-stands at stores follow -- it comes in spurts.

04/21/2011 12:55pm PST Service order form completed online
04/22/2011 12:41pm PST OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing.
04/29/2011 4:46pm PST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
05/02/2011 5:44pm PST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.

My OCI Status
The wait time to open the envelope is about a week - it is no longer three weeks -- It appears that the volume of applications here follows the same pattern that checkout-stands at stores follow -- it comes in spurts.

I liked that observation. How I wish they offered a self service check-out process.

I think with Travisa and our Consulate it is more a case of indifference than anything else. They don't give a rat's a$$ about our plight, the consumer. For the clerks/officers at the consulate there is no incentive[chai paani] to move the files.

Their operation makes the CA DMV look like a well oiled machine.

My OCI Status

04/21/2011 12:55pm PST Service order form completed online
04/22/2011 12:41pm PST OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing.
04/29/2011 4:46pm PST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
05/02/2011 5:44pm PST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.

I will say you are lucky ... My application was received by them on 4/19 and it is already two week today and they have not opened.

Emails are unanswered ... phone wait time at least 1 hour along with message send us email we will reply in 24 hour .... yes ... you bet.

and these guys are rude on phone... one of the worst.

This is even worse than before ... service provider are suppose to help the process not make it worse.

I will say you are lucky ... My application was received by them on 4/19 and it is already two week today and they have not opened.

Emails are unanswered ... phone wait time at least 1 hour along with message send us email we will reply in 24 hour .... yes ... you bet.

This is even worse than before ... service provider are suppose to help the process not make it worse.

I got mine through FedEx today. But, the final delay was from FedEx. Apparently, when I was mailing the application, I was asked if I need some 'upgrade' for the return and I said yes. So, they took more money for my return. Travisa sent out my passport on Friday (4/29). FedEx status was updated the next day and it said that the delivery date would be May 04th. I live in Fremont and Travisa sent it from SFO. I called FedEx and they said that the 'upgrade' I paid for 'guarantees' that the package will be delivered in 3 business days. So, they will deliver it in 3 business days. So, I paid for guaranteed delivery in 3 days and they *will* take 3 days even if they can deliver it earlier. I told them that I will come and pick it up. But, FedEx wouldn't budge. They said they cannot release it. They took my package from SFO to Oakland to Memphis to Oakland (yes, back to Oakland) to Sacramento to Union City to Fremont. This is efficiency for you.
Anyway, I am done with this. Good luck to you all.

I got mine through FedEx today. But, the final delay was from FedEx. Apparently, when I was mailing the application, I was asked if I need some 'upgrade' for the return and I said yes. So, they took more money for my return. Travisa sent out my passport on Friday (4/29). FedEx status was updated the next day and it said that the delivery date would be May 04th. I live in Fremont and Travisa sent it from SFO. I called FedEx and they said that the 'upgrade' I paid for 'guarantees' that the package will be delivered in 3 business days. So, they will deliver it in 3 business days. So, I paid for guaranteed delivery in 3 days and they *will* take 3 days even if they can deliver it earlier. I told them that I will come and pick it up. But, FedEx wouldn't budge. They said they cannot release it. They took my package from SFO to Oakland to Memphis to Oakland (yes, back to Oakland) to Sacramento to Union City to Fremont. This is efficiency for you.
Anyway, I am done with this. Good luck to you all.

can u share ur timeline?

Sent to Travisa on 3/13
They opened it on 3/23
Sent it to Consul 3/24
Approved on 4/15
Back in SFO 4/25
Travisa ack' 4/28
Passport @home 5/3

Thank you!
Can you please tell me how many days it took for the application to arrive in san francisco since the application was dispatched from delhi.
I am already going on the 5th day. I've read in some posts that OCI website doesn't update after the application has been sent from delhi... please let me know if you saw the last day that shows documents received at...
Thanks!

I liked that observation. How I wish they offered a self service check-out process.

I think with Travisa and our Consulate it is more a case of indifference than anything else. They don't give a rat's a$$ about our plight, the consumer. For the clerks/officers at the consulate there is no incentive[chai paani] to move the files.

Their operation makes the CA DMV look like a well oiled machine.

I like the idea of self service. I do not understand why the OCI stickers "must be printed in Delhi." CGI should be authorized to print then here. Well, I think in that case, people doing this job in India would run out of thing to do.

adawra, It is interesting. I am trying to construct a picture of how they function based on information we share here. It appears that your application ended up on the table of someone not-so-efficient. Please keep on sharing your time-line as it gets updated.

Speakamericano, Did you do a name change? Can you give me some details offline? I think I'm in the same boat as you for the most part. :)

Speakamericano, Did you do a name change? Can you give me some details offline? I think I'm in the same boat as you for the most part. :)

My name on birth certificate is Amandeep Sidhu. (not my real name, but as an example). At the passport place in India, it was assumed that my last name is Kaur (as it was my mom's last name when I was a minor) So my very first Indian passport was issued under Amandeep Kaur. I had previously lost my Indian passport, so the second passport I got was valid for 1 year only due to it being an emergency Passport. I tried getting it corrected at the Chandigarh passport agency. They said since the passport is valid only for 1 year, I could have it corrected at the Indian Embassy in the US. When I tried getting it corrected at the SF Consulate, they asked for newspaper ads and what not. During the same month, I had an emergency India travel. So, I didn't get it corrected. When I came back I placed ads in the US newspaper and Indian newspapers as mentioned by the consulate. But by that time, service was outsourced to Travisa. Travisa needed a court order. I couldn't get a court order as my never was never changed. It was Amandeep Sidhu on green card, SSN, DL.
So, I went to the USCIS office and the officer gave me a G-24 (Certification of Documents) form which mentioned my correct name. I took it to the Travisa, proved to those idiots that in fact I am the same person. They accepted the notarized copy of G-24.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...8tJUvHnKBCaN583Ww&sig2=PiIYnbSME9uZsGXF3ljQag is an example of G-24 only difference is they couldn't locate the person in the google example.
Good Luck!

I just saw the post where you tried to do a name change at the interview in san jose. USCIS don't do name change in san jose now. You have to go to the supreme court if you want to get a name changed. the address of the court is here
191 North 1st Street
San Jose, CA 95113-1091

http://www.scscourt.org/self_help/probate/namechange/namechange.shtml is the website you can print your name change forms from. if you want to go to court in person you can also do that.
*ps. parking at the garage is suggested as the street parking could get you a ticket at times.

adawra, It is interesting. I am trying to construct a picture of how they function based on information we share here. It appears that your application ended up on the table of someone not-so-efficient. Please keep on sharing your time-line as it gets updated.

Yes, looks like it depends on who handles your packet.

I don't say it was not happening when we were dealing with consulate directly but at that time we had mind set to accept these kind of delay but now I pay $12 extra and get worst service. Yes $12 is not too much but just imaging how many application they handle. This process is adding at least 15 more days to already 30 day process.

Yes, looks like it depends on who handles your packet.

I don't say it was not happening when we were dealing with consulate directly but at that time we had mind set to accept these kind of delay but now I pay $12 extra and get worst service. Yes $12 is not too much but just imaging how many application they handle. This process is adding at least 15 more days to already 30 day process.

I feel your frustration. I have had misfortune of dealing with travisa and cgi in the past. There got to be a more efficient way to auto-check-cross-verify several of the facts about an applicant and make a decision within three to five days.