OCI - San Francisco Tracker

Thanks Punk. Looks like it takes 10 days to receive back stamped passports by Express Mail. Do you've tracking info for return envelope? My guess is you should get it today or tomorrow latest.

I plan to send our Indian passports for cancellation along with our US passports when the time comes to mail them for our 'U' visa stickers and OCI cards.

Question is -

1. Do we just send the Indian passports alone or is there any sort of letter or formal cancellation application required to accompany it also ?

2. I have seen some people state that they did not receive the cancelled Indian passports back along with their US passports. Is this the norm or was that in just one or two particular cases. Anyone seen a trend ? I saw someone advising that the Indian passports be sent separately from the US passports.

Thanks.

==

I plan to send our Indian passports for cancellation along with our US passports when the time comes to mail them for our 'U' visa stickers and OCI cards.

Question is -

1. Do we just send the Indian passports alone or is there any sort of letter or formal cancellation application required to accompany it also ?

2. I have seen some people state that they did not receive the cancelled Indian passports back along with their US passports. Is this the norm or was that in just one or two particular cases. Anyone seen a trend ? I saw someone advising that the Indian passports be sent separately from the US passports.

Thanks.

==

1. I think a simple cover letter is good enough; AFAIK, there is no form for passport cancellation.

2. Generally, people get their cancelled passports back. It maybe a good idea to have a photocopy of relevant Indian passport pages for any future reference before sending them the Indian passport.

Congratulations!

For us, it shows Registration status as under process and no entry for 'Documents Scanned'. Is it the same for you?

Yes.

=========

Update:

It now shows Photo/Signature Scanned On 03-JUN-2008

Yet another update :) :

Granted on 03-JUN-2008

That was fast.

======

==

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations Sho, things are really moving fast. :)

Amicus, Yes, I have the tracking number for the return envolope. Still it shows Item not in record in USPS.
Anyway nothing to do but wait, Kris is giving me hope, his dispatch date and mine are the same.

Yes.

=========

Update:

It now shows Photo/Signature Scanned On 03-JUN-2008

Yet another update :) :

Granted on 03-JUN-2008

That was fast.

======

==

Yes. Same updates for us after 12pm and 5pm yesterday. Now it shows documents printed. Looks like scanning and granting is done by CGI, SF and printing of docs in Delhi.

Documents printed on 30th May were despatched on 3rd June (IST). We should make it to the next despatch (probably by this friday).

Congratulations Sho, things are really moving fast. :)

Amicus, Yes, I have the tracking number for the return envolope. Still it shows Item not in record in USPS.
Anyway nothing to do but wait, Kris is giving me hope, his dispatch date and mine are the same.

Looks like CGI, SF has speeded up the frontlog but not the backlog. Given that the backlog involves US passports, they should turn them around faster.

Since Kris is in the same boat, there's nothing to worry about. Hang in there punk, you'll be wrapping up the process in a matter of days.

Yes. Same updates for us after 12pm and 5pm yesterday. Now it shows documents printed. Looks like scanning and granting is done by CGI, SF and printing of docs in Delhi.

Documents printed on 30th May were despatched on 3rd June (IST). We should make it to the next despatch (probably by this friday).

Yup. Printing done too on 3rd June.

=======

Wooooooo Hoooooooooo

Recieved my U VISA, OCI Booklet, Cancelled Indian Passports right now.

The Journey is finally over, 65 days from filing online to geting the documents in hand.

Funny thing is they have returned the 3rd photograph enclosed with the application, do not know why.

Good luck to everyone, I hope Kris will get the documents today too.

Now a 6+ months vacation in India. :D:):D

Recieved my U VISA, OCI Booklet, Cancelled Indian Passports right now.

The Journey is finally over, 65 days from filing online to geting the documents in hand.

Funny thing is they have returned the 3rd photograph enclosed with the application, do not know why.

Good luck to everyone, I hope Kris will get the documents today too.

Now a 6+ months vacation in India. :D:):D

Congratulations, punk. Enjoy your nirvana from all the officialdom of the past year or so ...

A long vacation in India is definitely called for ...

Congratulations, punk. Enjoy your nirvana from all the officialdom of the past year or so ...

A long vacation in India is definitely called for ...

Thanks Amicus, the painful journey of immigration process along with Silicon Valley work pressure has burned me out completely. I think it is time to enjoy the freedom little bit and explore oppertunities.

Good Luck!!

Thanks Amicus, the painful journey of immigration process along with Silicon Valley work pressure has burned me out completely. I think it is time to enjoy the freedom little bit and explore oppertunities.

Good Luck!!

I whole-heartedly second you on that, punk. Best luck with your future endeavors!

Wow SFCGI is on a roll

Sent documents to SFCGI on May 16, recd. May 17
Now it says application granted and documents printed on Jun 6
Not yet dispatched.

That is fast.

Wow SFCGI is on a roll

Sent documents to SFCGI on May 16, recd. May 17
Now it says application granted and documents printed on Jun 6
Not yet dispatched.

That is fast.

Yes, but they have only speeded up the frontlog (i.e. incoming applications). The backlog (i.e. applications for which docs were despatched from Delhi) is getting delayed. Looks like CGISF opens one despatch once a week every Thursday. Currently at least the following despatches are pending, 27thMay, 30thMay, 3rdJun, 4thJun, 6thJun. So, the overall processing will probably still be about 2mo.

Let's hope they do something about the backlogs as well.

Send return envelop/Fee again?

Hi Guys,
I am getting ready to send US and Indian passports for stamping of U visa and Cancellation of Indian passports. I had already included one self addressed stamped priority mail envelop with the original envelop. Do I need to send another self stamped envelop? Also Do I need to send mailing fee even if I had sent the stamped return envelop?

TIA

Here are my dates
Applied online - 05/13/08
OCI granted - 06/04/08
Documents Despatched - 06/06/08
Documents Received - Not yet

Hi Guys,
I am getting ready to send US and Indian passports for stamping of U visa and Cancellation of Indian passports. I had already included one self addressed stamped priority mail envelop with the original envelop. Do I need to send another self stamped envelop? Also Do I need to send mailing fee even if I had sent the stamped return envelop?

TIA

Here are my dates
Applied online - 05/13/08
OCI granted - 06/04/08
Documents Despatched - 06/06/08
Documents Received - Not yet

No, you don't need to send another stamped envelope - though I hope you have read the following addendum to the CGISF instructions re. dispatch of OCI docs:

IMPORTANT NOTE: FOR APPLICANTS WHO HAD ALREADY ENCLOSED USPS EXPRESS MAIL PREPAID ENVELOPE: Kindly send extra postage stamp of 25 cents as the rates for USPS express mail have increased (US $16.50 instead of US$ 16.25)