OCI - San Francisco Tracker

Yes it went through fine, the acknowledgement shows the correct new name. Looks like no court papers required for family name change because of a marriage.

This was really surprising to me considering CGISF takes 60 days for ack.

Yup. It's a pleasant surprise!

Either CGISF has put in additional capacity or the no. of applications in its processing zone have decreased. I was expecting 3mo for the entire OCI, but looks like it will be less than 2. It'll help people with summer travel plans.

BTW, their website has instructions about the additional $0.25 for return postage.

Yup. It's a pleasant surprise!

Either CGISF has put in additional capacity or the no. of applications in its processing zone have decreased. I was expecting 3mo for the entire OCI, but looks like it will be less than 2. It'll help people with summer travel plans.

BTW, their website has instructions about the additional $0.25 for return postage.

Yup, good news for the people waiting acknowledgement. Thanks for postal information. I will attach the extra postage with the cover letter.

Hello Guys Quick Question::

When is the right time to send the passoprt to consulate?
1. After online Stats Check says documents recieved at CGISF
or,
2. File No Displayed in the list of cards recieved by CGISF

The reason I ask is #2 is not updated as soon as #1 is done, and sometimes taking more than a week.

or,

The reason I ask is #2 is not updated as soon as #1 is done, and sometimes taking more than a week.

It's OK to send them after 1.

or,

As Garg says #1 is enough, though in my case #1 and #2 happened at same time. I think there are people (andromeda?) whose #2 was never updated even after a week.

When to send passport for OCI?

The website shows that my documents were received by SF on May 8th. However, I haven't rececived any email or regular mail from them.

1. Do I need to wait for their communicaton or can I go ahead and mail them the passports?
2. Any document/fee I need to send along with it?

Thank you!

The website shows that my documents were received by SF on May 8th. However, I haven't rececived any email or regular mail from them.

1. Do I need to wait for their communicaton or can I go ahead and mail them the passports?
2. Any document/fee I need to send along with it?

Thank you!

You can send them your passports now. Follow the instructions on the CGISF website re cover letter and stamped USPS express mail envelope.

At what point after mailing the OCI applications can we expect some form of acknowledgement from anyone. From timelines in some earlier postings i am seeing a two month period. I understand it takes that long to process, but that long for an ack. ?

I guess i am wondering if you will know any sooner if there are any issues with your application(photo format, incomplete data etc.). Does the SF consulate check it first before sending it to India or does it go there and gets into the pipeline.

Thanks.

I heard here (please go through all posts in this forum, I did it) that if thete is a problem with photo etc, you will get an email from CGISF. If there is no communication it is all good and it is our responsibility to track the status website and send our passports once U visa and stickers are received in SF

Is it ok to send prepaid envelope later?

My apartment lease will expire in about two months, at that time I may move to a different address. One option I was thinking is send prepaid envelope for returning documents/passport later when OCI is approved and I send passport for stamping of OCI sticker.

I was wondering has anyone tried this?

Thanks

My apartment lease will expire in about two months, at that time I may move to a different address. One option I was thinking is send prepaid envelope for returning documents/passport later when OCI is approved and I send passport for stamping of OCI sticker.

I was wondering has anyone tried this?

Thanks

Yes, you can send the return envelope at the time you send the passports for U-visa sticker and OCI booklet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks AK!

Should I write a covering letter explaining that I'll send the envelope later?

Second and more important part, my daughter has PIO card and I'm applying OCI for her too, the instruction about PIO holders on cgisf.org says:

"You MUST SUBMIT a notarized copy of your PIO Card WITH your OCI application. Copy of your old Indian passport (first page) is also required."

Problem is notary said since this is not a contract, or any other kind of document with requires signature proof or individual verification, just the copy of PIO can not be notarized, is that correct? if yes, what is the way around it ? Also she was born in USA and never had Indian passport, so what should I send? I'm anyway enclosing copy of my passport to show her eligibility.

TIA

Should I write a covering letter explaining that I'll send the envelope later?

Second and more important part, my daughter has PIO card and I'm applying OCI for her too, the instruction about PIO holders on cgisf.org says:

"You MUST SUBMIT a notarized copy of your PIO Card WITH your OCI application. Copy of your old Indian passport (first page) is also required."

Problem is notary said since this is not a contract, or any other kind of document with requires signature proof or individual verification, just the copy of PIO can not be notarized, is that correct? if yes, what is the way around it ? Also she was born in USA and never had Indian passport, so what should I send? I'm anyway enclosing copy of my passport to show her eligibility.

TIA
PIOs are notarized. Though I do not endorse specific agencies, I got my kid notarized, same situation as yoursat http://www.sfbaynotary.com/ in Sunnyvale (2 notaries cince duplicate is required). Its only $5 per copy, most other places charge $10. I highly recommend this place.

Thanks desihai!

PIOs are notarized. Though I do not endorse specific agencies, I got my kid notarized, same situation as yoursat http://www.sfbaynotary.com/ in Sunnyvale (2 notaries cince duplicate is required). Its only $5 per copy, most other places charge $10. I highly recommend this place.

Thanks for not only explaining that it can be done, but also where it can be done. Really appreciate your help.

Do you think I need to say anything why I'm not sending self address postage paid envelope or they don't care? I'm just wondering if anyone has done that, I'll hate get the application returned for something that minor.

Do you think I need to say anything why I'm not sending self address postage paid envelope or they don't care? I'm just wondering if anyone has done that, I'll hate get the application returned for something that minor.

I have not done this, but I recommend to just mention why you are not sending now and you will send later with passports. I have found CGISF to be saner of most consulates and you should be ok. I have read others have done that in past.

Last edited by a moderator:
Document received at SFO consulate.

Online status indicates that documents have been received at SFO consulate.
April 2nd Filed Part A online
April 3rd Appplication mailed to CGISF
April 4th Application received at CGISF
May 12th Scanned
May 13th Granted and Printed
May 15th Documents Dispatched from Delhi
May 23rd Documents received at CGISF
May 23rd Mailed Passports to SFO Consulate

March 30 Filed Part A online
April 1 appplication recieved at CGISF
May 7 Acknowledged
May 8 status granted, photo signature scanned
May 9 Document Printed
May 13 Documents Dispatched from Delhi

I just can not believe it. Waiting eagerly to stamp my passports with U Visa,
Then a long awaited vacation in India. :):):):)

Thanks I did that too :)

Here is my summary

March 30 Filed Part A online
April 1 appplication recieved at CGISF
May 7 Acknowledged
May 8 status granted, photo signature scanned
May 9 Document Printed
May 13 Documents Dispatched from Delhi
May 23 Documents Recieved at CGISF (It is 22nd in USA)
May 22 Mailed Passports to CGISF

Kris, let's keep in touch and track the progress.

CGISF is turbo-charged ... Our OCI applications have now been ack'd in about 3 weeks since we mailed them.

CGISF is turbo-charged ... Our OCI applications have now been ack'd in about 3 weeks since we mailed them.

Congratulations :D
I hope they become turbo charged in mailing the documents back too :(
It has been 9 days and the return envolope is not in the tracking system yet.