OCI - San Francisco Tracker

I might end up asking back my passport with a visa before the oci. I understand your frustration. They have not printed any oci from CGISF after yours (on May 14th). They are printing ocis from other places though - NY, Houston etc. When they print from a batch from San Francisco, I am sure yours will be among the first few. When is your trip? Please keep us posted on "getting a visa while OCI pending" issue.

I as well have been frustrated with TRAVISA's non-existant customer service. They need to change the message while you are on hold when you call. It keeps on repeating "If you prefer emails over waiting on phone, please send us an email and someone will get back to you within 24 hours". I have not read even one post on any forum attesting to the fact that travisa got back.

sfo2blr, I am traveling on June 10th, so my stress level is gradually climbing with every passing day. I am refreshing my Travisa/CGI status queries more frequently than a India-Pakistan World Cup match!

About withdrawing OCI app, please see my other post in this thread: forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?324461-Travel-to-India-While-OCI-Pending&p=2303523#post2303523

sfo2blr, I am traveling on June 10th, so my stress level is gradually climbing with every passing day. I am refreshing my Travisa/CGI status queries more frequently than a India-Pakistan World Cup match!

About withdrawing OCI app, please see my other post in this thread: forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?324461-Travel-to-India-While-OCI-Pending&p=2303523#post2303523

See my post on the same web page you posted. Hopefully that should help

There are plenty of others like ginnu(has like 15 k posts!!!), speakamericano and others who are doing a thankless job by contributing to the OCI forum. I am sure there have been/are others.
Totally agree. Their selfless devotion to this forum is beyond parallel. And also Mr. RK who set the platform for this deed.

Thanks for the praising words idk :p and forum user.

So, I made an order or amazon for some dove products. It was shipped yesterday from Nevada and today I received the package at my house. Couldn't be more happier. I don't understand how Travisa claims that they shipped a package 3 days ago and some people still haven't received it.

It was shipped yesterday from Nevada and today I received the package at my house. Couldn't be more happier. I don't understand how Travisa claims that they shipped a package 3 days ago and some people still haven't received it.

I think Travisa may be wanting to set up their own courier business, which is why they believe that between FedEx and UPS, all we can expect is F'UPS.

I think they should start using carrier pigeons to send the documents, atleast then they can make more excuses which cannot be easily verified, e.g. sorry your documents were sent out by PigeonMail last week but based on the GPS tracking of the pigeon, the pigeon was probably shot dead by someone.

I think Travisa may be wanting to set up their own courier business, which is why they believe that between FedEx and UPS, all we can expect is F'UPS.

I think they should start using carrier pigeons to send the documents, atleast then they can make more excuses which cannot be easily verified, e.g. sorry your documents were sent out by PigeonMail last week but based on the GPS tracking of the pigeon, the pigeon was probably shot dead by someone.

Snailmail would be even better...ha

I don't understand how Travisa claims that they shipped a package 3 days ago and some people still haven't received it.

Here is a snippet from Travisa_sucks' post today on the other forum:

BTW, my documents appeared in the tracking system yesterday. so basically Travisa lied to me that they had mailed out the passport on Monday. They even lied to UPS when they had called Travisa in-order to put a trace. I had also mentioned that in case, Travisa claims that docs are mailed out and UPS claims that they receive documents, I would file a police report as this is a legal document. They did not even budge with the truth even after this. I may have sent more than 50 e-mails thru the whole process to NIC,Indian embassy and Travisa. What a waste of time, however I had no choice.

So now we have to threaten with a police complaint to get the documents back?

Last edited by a moderator:
@IDK.. i am also keeping track of Travisa_sucks' posts on immihelp. He's really having a bad luck with Travisa. Hopefully he will get the documents in time to go to India.

@IDK.. i am also keeping track of Travisa_sucks' posts on immihelp. He's really having a bad luck with Travisa. Hopefully he will get the documents in time to go to India.

Yes, he just posted that he got his OCI with just a few hours to spare before his flight to India.

For folks who are not following the other thread I mentioned about, here is an update I got from Mr. Shetty in India:
Sir

The printing problems have been resolved. The backlog is now being cleared, which may take upto two weeks to clear all the printing.

Regards
OCI Unit Delhi

Hopefully there should be some movement on the NIC status web page in the coming 2 weeks.

Yes, he just posted that he got his OCI with just a few hours to spare before his flight to India.

For folks who are not following the other thread I mentioned about, here is an update I got from Mr. Shetty in India:

Hopefully there should be some movement on the NIC status web page in the coming 2 weeks.

Are they palanning on clearing the backlog (in two weeks) first and then update the status of all applications? I thought they updated as they printed. Has the printing started yet?

... Has the printing started yet?

Based on posts here and on immihelp, this is how the reported printing data looks like -

05/13, 05/14 : San Francisco CGI cases
05/20, 05/21, 05/23, 05/31 : Houston CGI cases
05/23, 05/24 : NY CGI cases
05/27, 05/30 : Chicago CGI cases

Updated status

Travisa:
--------
04/06/2011 : Service order form completed online
04/07/2011 : OCI application mailed via USPS
04/08/2011 : OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing
04/21/2011 : Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
04/27/2011 : Documents prepared to go to Embassy
04/28/2011 : Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate

MHA:
------
Date Of Acknowledgment : 28-APR-2011
Photo/Signature Scanned On : 29-APR-2011
Registration Status Granted On : 29-APR-2011
Documents Printing Status : PRINTED
Documents Printed On : 13-MAY-2011, 14-MAY-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on : 16-MAY-2011
Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO On : 31-MAY-2011

Updated status

Travisa:
--------

MHA:
------

Mine got updated too...at least the one that was printed and dispatched:

Timeline

Travisa
04/03/2011 : Service order form completed online
04/13/2011 : OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing.
04/25/2011 : Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
04/30/2011 : Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
05/02/2011 : Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
05/02/2011 : Documents received by Consulate
05/05/2011 : Pending approval of the Government of India

MHA
Date Of Acknowledgment: 01-MAY-2011
Photo/Signature Scanned On: 03-MAY-2011
Registration Status Granted On: 03-MAY-2011

Kid #1
Documents Printing Status: PRINTED
Documents Printed On: 14-MAY-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: 16-MAY-2011
Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO On: 31-MAY-2011

Kid #2
Documents Printing Status: NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO: NOT YET

Found this on Travisa's home page (https://www.indian-visa.com/oci/homepage)

OCI Processing Change Alert - Original US/Foreign Passport
Effective June 15, 2011, original US/Foreign passport will not be required at the time of submission of the intial OCI application. Instead, applicants will be alerted when their OCI card is ready and they will need to provide their original US/Foreign passport only at that time.

Why did they not start the processing this way from March when they took over from the Consulate? Probably all the folks from this forum have helped bring about this welcome change, at least for future applicants.

For the rest of us who have already sent in US passport and need to travel, we will have to pull the passport out. At least now we will not lose the OCI processing money.

Finally some update. Looks like they are now clearing the backlog in printing.

Timeline

Travisa
04/03/2011 : Service order form completed online
04/13/2011 : OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing.
04/25/2011 : Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
04/30/2011 : Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
05/02/2011 : Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
05/02/2011 : Documents received by Consulate
05/05/2011 : Pending approval of the Government of India

MHA
Date Of Acknowledgment: 01-MAY-2011
Photo/Signature Scanned On: 03-MAY-2011
Registration Status Granted On: 03-MAY-2011

Kid #1
Documents Printed On: 14-MAY-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: 16-MAY-2011
Documents Received at SAN FRANCISCO On: 31-MAY-2011

Kid #2
Documents Printed On: 01-JUN-2011

Still waiting for an update to my moms OCI Card

Photo/Signature Scanned On 12-MAY-2011
Registration Status Granted On 12-MAY-2011
Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED

Updated status

Travisa:
--------
05/31/2011 : Outsourcing office has verified the OCI is processed correctly. Ready for pickup between 4:30pm and 6:00pm. If mail back, waiting for FedEx pick up and is likely to be mailed out tomorrow.
06/01/2011 : Passport mailed out. Please note that the tracking information may not be active for up to 1 business day

MHA:
------

Kid #2
Documents Printed On: 01-JUN-2011

miyengar, it is possible that OCI for Kid # 2 will get dispatched over the next day or the latest by 06/06.

Generally speaking, the consulate receives the OCI card and sticker within 2 days of dispatch. For e.g dispatched 05/16 arrived 05/18 in SFO, dispatched 05/25 arrived 05/27 in NY. (I am guessing that it is lot faster than this, as I read that they get dispatched by diplomatic mail, but I am going by the data that has been posted.)

You can continue to watch this until Monday and make a dash to the consulate, to get the passport/OCI for a photo finish, if not the passport withdrawal option still exists.

miyengar, it is possible that OCI for Kid # 2 will get dispatched over the next day or the latest by 06/06.

Generally speaking, the consulate receives the OCI card and sticker within 2 days of dispatch. For e.g dispatched 05/16 arrived 05/18 in SFO, dispatched 05/25 arrived 05/27 in NY. (I am guessing that it is lot faster than this, as I read that they get dispatched by diplomatic mail, but I am going by the data that has been posted.)

You can continue to watch this until Monday and make a dash to the consulate, to get the passport/OCI for a photo finish, if not the passport withdrawal option still exists.

Thanks, idk.

As planned earlier, I made the pilgrimage to Travisa's office today. Here is what happened:

1. Kid #2: I had faxed over the passport withdrawal application around noon yesterday. When I visited Travisa today morning, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the passport was already there to be collected (although they ask for a 72 hour turnaround). I immediately collected the passport and the lady at the counter assured me that the OCI process will continue. When I return the passport after travel is complete, they will send the OCI card and the passport after processing. However I see that the Travisa status has been updated thus:
OCI order withdrawn from Travisa Outsourcing without a OCI issued. Ready for pickup between 4:30pm and 6:00pm. If mail back, waiting for FedEx pick up and is likely to be mailed out tomorrow.
I hope that it only means that passport has been withdrawn; I have been told by multiple people (all Travisa, of course) that the processing will still continue.

2. Kid #1: They had earlier mentioned over phone that I should withdraw the passport (similar to kid #2) and apply for a visa since #1 does not have one. I was prepared; I had completed the visa application online and had all the supporting documents/fees/photos ready. However, I told the lady at the counter that NIC informed me that the OCI is already at the consulate (thanks, ari_immi). I asked if she could talk to the manager and call the consulate to get the OCI. She talked to the manager and got back saying it may come today or tomorrow. After pleading with her saying I need to travel next week and I cannot make the long drive again, she finally said she will get the file 'pulled' and it will be ready in the evening. We went back at 4.30 and another person said the OCI is not there! After some more asking and probing, he said there may be another courier coming in and asked us to wait another 30 minutes. Finally after a painstaking 30 minute wait, I went to the counter again and they had the OCI and the passport!

Finally we can be at peace knowing that we can travel without any issues. I will deal with #2's OCI when we get back from India.

I am really grateful to all the people who helped me on this forum (esp., idk, ari_immi, speakamericano). I gained a lot of understanding of the process and also speakamericano's directions to parking etc really helped me.

Good luck to everyone who is waiting for their OCI's.

OCI order withdrawn from Travisa Outsourcing without a OCI issued. Ready for pickup between 4:30pm and 6:00pm. If mail back, waiting for FedEx pick up and is likely to be mailed out tomorrow.
I hope that it only means that passport has been withdrawn; I have been told by multiple people (all Travisa, of course) that the processing will still continue.

I think this is probably standard verbiage or boilerplate text that they use in the system. You should be Ok and your next challenge might be getting them to find the OCI once you are back.

Here is my story -
I actually stopped by Travisa's office yesterday as I had elected to pick up the OCI in-person and was told that they shipped mine out via FedEx, as I had attached a FedEx air-bill.

speakamericano's buddy, the bald guy, Mr Morris I believe is his name, tells me it's my fault for also attaching the FedEx air-bill. I showed him the order form which said pick up in-person and instructions which asked to attach a prepaid shipping label even if picking up in-person. Then he said those instructions are there because the Indian govt asked them to put them there.

Anyway, my FedEx envelope is now in the system and I should get it in my hands over the next day or so.

I am going to add my lessons learnt to the sticky and hopefully it will be of use to those who apply at SF Travisa in the near future.

Have a good trip.