OCI - San Francisco Tracker

This is probably how it was until few days back when the whole SC mess started (all part a + part b). They are asking now to attach the checklist for each applicant. And the checklist mentions

3. Two copies of part A (signed by each applicant)
4. Two copies of part B (signed by applicant / head of family)

So I am debating if it really means to attach 2 copies of Part B for each applicant.

Your interpretation is incorrect - Only one part B covering all applicants is required in each set. See below:

Set 1: Your partA+Wife's partA+daughter's partA+common PartB+supporting documents
Set 2: Your partA+Wife's partA+daughter's partA+common PartB+supporting documents

Cover letter and fees (can be one single money order for all applicants)

This is probably how it was until few days back when the whole SC mess started (all part a + part b). They are asking now to attach the checklist for each applicant. And the checklist mentions

3. Two copies of part A (signed by each applicant)
4. Two copies of part B (signed by applicant / head of family)

So I am debating if it really means to attach 2 copies of Part B for each applicant.

3. Two copies of Part A (signed by each applicant)
4. Two copies of Part B, (signed by applicant/head of family <in case for up to 4
members of family
>)
If there is only one applicant, he/she signs 2 copies of both part A and B. If it is a family, each applicant signs 2 copies of part A and the head of the family signs 2 copies of part B.

bhasi,

1) Did you know you could apply the SC and OCI together or you took your chances?
2) Tell us about your timeline from application to "Granted"?
3) Did you visit CGISF to submit your applications?
4) How did you package your application? Did you have separate envelopes for SC and OCI? Did you staple the application for SC and OCI separately?
5) Have you received your SC and Indian Passport already

1) Did you know you could apply the SC and OCI together or you took your chances?
bhasi>>>According to the new checklist on the CGISF website, if you have not already obtained SC you must submit SC + OCI applications together.
2) Tell us about your timeline from application to "Granted"?
bhasi>>>My packet had 3 applications - me + wife + minor kid (who was indian citizen). I sent current/expired Indian passports, US passports ..Mailed on May 21, delivered May 24. Acknowledged on Jun 14. Granted on Jun 15. Waiting for rest of the process to complete. I have sent $825 for OCI and $525 for SC. After a week of my submission, the rules changed about fee for SC $20 for US citizens before Jun 1. I just want to get the OCI + SC on hand first. Will worry about refund on my SC fee later.
3) Did you visit CGISF to submit your applications?
bhasi>>>No. I sent thro certified mail
4) How did you package your application? Did you have separate envelopes for SC and OCI? Did you staple the application for SC and OCI separately?
bhasi>>>I sent them together according to the order in the checklist
5) Have you received your SC and Indian Passport already[/QUOTE]
bhasi>>The latest status is "Granted" on Jun 15. No updates since then. Hoping the process will be complete and I get back all my papers/passports in the next 1-2 weeks. I will update my status on this forum when complete

New checklist for OCI

I canot post the URL here. Donwload the new checklist from (remove spaces) www . cgisf . org / oc / OCI%20checklist.pdf

They need color copies of Green Card? Geez!!! They just like making it hard on everyone. I just kept black and white copies of my GC. Any freaking application to the Indian consulate requires so many supporting docs. Shouldnt they just need ur Indian passport and US passport and thats it. Green Card/EAD..... what the hec?. They already want u to get a Surrender certificate before applying for OCI. Why do they need the Indian passport again? didnt quite understand the purpose of the surrender certificate (atleast for OCI purpose). 175$ for the Surrender certificate I can understand... they need the money to balance the Indian budget ;).... what a rip off.

Anytime I need to apply to the Indian Consulate here , it scares me coz u dont know if they will accept it, they dont respond to any queries, typical indian govt office. They will never Soodrao. I guess they have all records in those paper files. Atleast they have some online tracking for the OCI.

They need to come up with "Dual Citizenship".

3 questions I have :

1) For the surrender certificate, can I apply with just the Naturalization certificate or do they need both (US passport copy and NAT cert copy).
2) I guess, since I dont have the colorful copy of Green Card, I will send in my Indian Passport that I used to enter the US and that should suffice
3) For spouse, they need notarized affidavit. Can anyone post a sample of this? And these are to be notarized by a notary of are these to be self notarized?

Thanks guys....

N400 applied: 2/13/2010
RD: 2/16/2010
FP: 3/9/2010
Interview : April 27, 2010 (Los Angeles)
Oath: 5/18/2010 ( LA convention center)
PassP applied: 5/18/2010
PassP received: 6/10/2010
Naturalization cert received back on 6/11/2010

They need color copies of Green Card? Geez!!! They just like making it hard on everyone. I just kept black and white copies of my GC. Any freaking application to the Indian consulate requires so many supporting docs. Shouldnt they just need ur Indian passport and US passport and thats it. Green Card/EAD..... what the hec?. They already want u to get a Surrender certificate before applying for OCI. Why do they need the Indian passport again? didnt quite understand the purpose of the surrender certificate (atleast for OCI purpose). 175$ for the Surrender certificate I can understand... they need the money to balance the Indian budget ;).... what a rip off.

Anytime I need to apply to the Indian Consulate here , it scares me coz u dont know if they will accept it, they dont respond to any queries, typical indian govt office. They will never Soodrao. I guess they have all records in those paper files. Atleast they have some online tracking for the OCI.

They need to come up with "Dual Citizenship".

3 questions I have :

1) For the surrender certificate, can I apply with just the Naturalization certificate or do they need both (US passport copy and NAT cert copy).
2) I guess, since I dont have the colorful copy of Green Card, I will send in my Indian Passport that I used to enter the US and that should suffice
3) For spouse, they need notarized affidavit. Can anyone post a sample of this? And these are to be notarized by a notary of are these to be self notarized?

Thanks guys....

N400 applied: 2/13/2010
RD: 2/16/2010
FP: 3/9/2010
Interview : April 27, 2010 (Los Angeles)
Oath: 5/18/2010 ( LA convention center)
PassP applied: 5/18/2010
PassP received: 6/10/2010
Naturalization cert received back on 6/11/2010

Green card copy is required only if you don't have the original Indian passport used upon first entry into US. Apparently this requirement is to weed out those who came from India seeking (and obtaining) Asylum in the US. Indian government probably does not want former Asylees to get OCI.

Bhasi. Thank you for your response. Looking at the checklist, it tells you to submit the surrender certificate with the OCI application. It does not explicitly say submitting an application for the surrender certificate along with the OCI application. I believe I read somewhere that the 2 are processed by separate cells. Hence the confusion.

Last edited by a moderator:
question on "self attested copy " in OCI application

In one of the supporting documents they need a self attested copy of Indian pasport.
Is it sufficient if I do the self attestation ONCE" (on top) or every page of the passport copy needs to be self attested?

In one of the supporting documents they need a self attested copy of Indian pasport.
Is it sufficient if I do the self attestation ONCE" (on top) or every page of the passport copy needs to be self attested?

"10 Two self-attested photocopies of the first and last pages of US/ foreign passport"

Not Indian passport.

Bhasi. Thank you for your response. Looking at the checklist, it tells you to submit the surrender certificate with the OCI application. It does not explicitly say submitting an application for the surrender certificate along with the OCI application. I believe I read somewhere that the 2 are processed by separate cells. Hence the confusion.

I sent both OCI +SC application together on May 26th and it got returned to me on June 8th. I went to consulate and got my SC on the same day (Paid $35 extra) and sent the OCI package back on May 16.

It is not worth taking the risk. They sent me a letter clearly saying I need to apply for SC first and do the OCI next. THey returned my $175 cashiers check and I ended up paying $55 at the end for SC.

See the note form OCI Main page:

"All Naturalized US Citizens of Indian Descent: Please obtain SURRENDER CERTIFICATE berfore applying for any service

Please provide Surrender Certificate for your last held Indian Passport before applying for OCI. If the application is received without the surrender certificate, application would be returned to sender at sender's cost.
"

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Friends,

Please support the petition opposing renunciation of Indian citizenship at

http://www.petitiononline.com/OCIpeti/petition.html

with the subject: Opposition to mandatory renunciation of Indian Citizenship and request to consider OCI as a "standalone" document and make it a success by posting atleast 50000 signatures by July 15 2010.

Please circulate this url to all your friends by email.

Regards,

Deepak

"10 Two self-attested photocopies of the first and last pages of US/ foreign passport"

Not Indian passport.

My question is more about self attestation than which document.
Is it sufficient if I self attest once on the front page or need to self attest every page

The way I did is to write "true copy of the original" with my sign below on every page just to be on the safe side. Don't want to take any chance with these jokers.
My question is more about self attestation than which document.
Is it sufficient if I self attest once on the front page or need to self attest every page

The way I did is to write "true copy of the original" with my sign below on every page just to be on the safe side. Don't want to take any chance with these jokers.

I see a descrepency in the checklist and on the "What is required" section of website.

Item #11 in the checklist says "photocopies of documents submitted in #8"

Where as the "what is needed section" says

Item # 11: Pl. provide two self-attested photocopies of the first two and last two pages and US visa page of the Indian passport (if OPTION A is chosen in Serial No. 8 above) or of documents listed in OPTION B (if OPTION B is chosen in S. N. 8)

Which of the above should be followed ?

I sent both OCI +SC application together on May 26th and it got returned to me on June 8th. I went to consulate and got my SC on the same day (Paid $35 extra) and sent the OCI package back on May 16.

It is not worth taking the risk. They sent me a letter clearly saying I need to apply for SC first and do the OCI next. THey returned my $175 cashiers check and I ended up paying $55 at the end for SC.

See the note form OCI Main page:

"All Naturalized US Citizens of Indian Descent: Please obtain SURRENDER CERTIFICATE berfore applying for any service

Please provide Surrender Certificate for your last held Indian Passport before applying for OCI. If the application is received without the surrender certificate, application would be returned to sender at sender's cost.
"

I am surprised!!!. I sent OCI docs and 2 set SC application + docs together as per new OCI checklist on May 21. Acknowledged on Jun 11. My application status today says "Printed & Dispatched"

It says at the start of the OCI page-
I applied OCI on 5/4 and they sent back on 5/20 with the new checklist included (with SC as #2 item). I didn't want to take any chance and applied for SC separately. May be if I would have sent them together I might have it like you but who knows.
I am surprised!!!. I sent OCI docs and 2 set SC application + docs together as per new OCI checklist on May 21. Acknowledged on Jun 11. My application status today says "Printed & Dispatched"

Oci

I think this time its my turn to give you guys an update :-

Applied for OCI + Surrender Certificate together for my wife, me and a kid (PIO to OCI for Kid).

1. Sent everything in one packet but attached separate money orders e.g. 2-$275 1-$145 and 2-$20 for Surrender Certificate.

2. Packet had 3 files: One for each candidate and 2 additional files for SC.

3. I sent my US and India passport together. (Different opinions are there for sending together vs. separate).

4. For OCI each file had a checklist.

5. Pasted 2 photos on the OCI form and sent 2 additional photos for each of us.

Reached SFO on June 7th
Acknowledged: June 11th
Granted and Scanned: June 15
Printed: June 19th
Dispatched: June 21st
Reached SFO: xxxx

Thanks

Hello rseth123 ,

I think you are lucky that the processing is going on. Mine got rejected since I paid $175 for SC.

I got my SC and applied for OCI on June 16 th (CGI SF received on 17th June) and it is not acknoledged yet. I am getting worried a little now.

The package has everything inclucding SC and check list.

Hoping to see these morans accept my application.

Thanks