OCI - San Francisco Tracker

I did send my OCI + SC app together on 25/May/2010 and it is not acknoledged yet.

My application did not move an inch however, my daughters application is already printed. I applied for me and my daughter together. She is a USC by birth so no SC crap.

I checked with my bank about the cashiers checks and they told me that the consulate did not use my 175,275 checks yet but cashed the check with $145 for my daughter application.

It's been 2 weeks so I am planning to visit CGI SF Monday.

Is it because they are processing your SC first and then start the OCI because if we go with this logic then SC takes 2 weeks and then OCI begins.

I am in the very same boat as you. My OCI packet was sent on 5/2 - returned on 5/24 saying apply for SC. Sent SC apps for 3 people with $175*3 = $525 memorial weekend - reached CGISF on Jun 1 - again to see them returning back on Jun 4. I sent again this weekend.
I was initially planning for travel in July then August but now don't see much hope. With so much issue not at all certain if I can take the risk of booking travel now - but the price is going up every day. No acountability on CGISF side except a little note saying "Any inconvenience is regretted".

When did you send your SC application sg930? I sent two SC applications on 05/21 with $175 fee for each application. I see that the fedex tracking for the return shipment started. They might have sent back them as CGI is too lazy to refund $155. My OCI package (applied on 5/5) was returned for missing $175 fee. I wasted 5 weeks and $90 for this back and forth. I planned my India travel in July. I need to start all over again next week. 2 weks for SC + 4 - 6 weeks for OCI. Looks like the earliest I can get OCI is 1st/2nd weeks of Aug.

Irony is that no one at MHA or CGI is/wiil be fired for causing so much of pain to several customers.

Just a piece of info - when CGISF returned my SC application they attached a page saying
Fee has been reduced from $175 to $20. Please attach the appropriate fee in Money order / Cashier's check as below -
1. SC application fee of $20 (with a hand written note - for each people)
2. $20 for return mail fee
3. $10 for returning the documents

So I believe they are asking an additional $10 for returning the documents.

Just a piece of info - when CGISF returned my SC application they attached a page saying Fee has bee

I went in person to cgi sfo last thursday for SC and all they took from is $20 for SC (I provided the pre paid envelope) they told me that they will return the passport and SC once it is processed.

There is no $10 involved for return of documents.

Contact them and clarify with them before sending

That piece of paper was included along with the other docs when my packet was returned. It was physically signed by somebody from CGISGF (No name). I have tried to contact them many times - phone / email but no answers till date. Physically its 10 hrs away from where i live which is why its difficult to go visit them in person. really really tired of these jokers sitting there and playing with our time and money

I went in person to cgi sfo last thursday for SC and all they took from is $20 for SC (I provided the pre paid envelope) they told me that they will return the passport and SC once it is processed.

There is no $10 involved for return of documents.

Contact them and clarify with them before sending

Need Info on OCI supporting documents

I'm trying to gather all the documentation needed for OCI application and I have the question regarding proof of residence address:

The cgi sfo website mentions the following:

9. Please provide one:

Driving license
or
PG&E, Water or landline telephone bill displaying applicant’s address
or
House Lease Agreement

What do they mean by "Driver License" are they expecting a copy of the driver license ? If they want the original then that is absurd.

Can some one who went through the OCI process shed some light on it?

Also what should be included as proof of residence for my 2 year old daughter?

What is required is a copy of driver license.
For children, parents' proof of residence is acceptable (i.e. parents' driver license)

On Friday I went to the SF consulate and applied for Surrender Certificate. I also asked them to expedite it. They charged me $35 extra per application and gave me the surrender certificate on the same day.

With the surrender certificate I have applied again on Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed. I had to waste the whole day to get the surrender certificate. But it was worth it.

Refund of $155 - Please send email to Ambassador / GOPIO / CG

Please see the link in renouncedindian.blogspot.com regarding mass appeal for refund of $155.

Let us all send emails to ambassadoroffice@indiagov.org,gopio-intl@sbcglobal.net, cg@indiacgny.org
with content as under :

While I welcome the decision of the Indian Govt for revising the surrender certificate fee to $20, I'd like to represent that I have not been treated justly. On May xx, 2010 , as I had to obtain VISA/OCI to visit India, I was forced to submit applications for the Surrender Certificate with the Consulate General of India along with the fees of $175 each for every member of my family . I had no option then but to adhere to the rules. Also penalties applied if we didnt act quick enough.

With the amended rule, I request you to refund a sum of $155.00 . There is no justification for charging differential amounts for the same category of people (all who obtained naturalization by June 1 , 2010). CG is trying to justify that $175 was the prevaling fee between May 4 and 28. The $175 fee is an aberration and not a fee that stood for several months and hence that argument is invalid.

A special camp was held by CGNY on May 29 and they collected $175 from thousands of people who stood for several hours in lines without food and water to comply with the law, only to know that the next day the fee is brought to the new $20 level.

The differential amount is a huge sum for me. Please do not punish people like me for trying to follow the law to the fullest , correctly and quickly all the time.

On Friday I went to the SF consulate and applied for Surrender Certificate. I also asked them to expedite it. They charged me $35 extra per application and gave me the surrender certificate on the same day.

With the surrender certificate I have applied again on Sunday. Keeping my fingers crossed. I had to waste the whole day to get the surrender certificate. But it was worth it.

Hmm... When you asked for expedite process for SC how did they arrive at $35 extra price for each SC ? Looks like they have no rules and came up with some thing out of their mind. Looks like they took advantage of your eagerness to get SC as fast as possible.

When I visited them last thursday for SC, they told me there is no expedite process for SC.

I am resending my OCI application with SC this time. It was said to attach $10 money order for my returned application.
I am planning on giving theym two money orders - one ($10) for the return that they sent me and second ($20) for the return mail that they will send me.

Does this sound right?

In mine they said you can combine all fees and send one single Money order / Cashiers check
I am resending my OCI application with SC this time. It was said to attach $10 money order for my returned application.
I am planning on giving theym two money orders - one ($10) for the return that they sent me and second ($20) for the return mail that they will send me.

Does this sound right?

I sent the declaration of renunciation form + $175 on 5/21. I received yesterday the cancelled Indian passport and one of the two copies of declaration form I sent with a stamp at the bottom in the "for official use" box - "Passport cancelled vide DRL No. XXXXX on Jun 02 and returned to holder on acquiring US nationality". They didn't even sent me the receipt for the $175 along with it.

I am now confused - is the declaration form with a stamp at the bottom considered "surrender certificate" or will CGI-SF be sending any certificate in prescribed form (as mentioned on the web site) in mail later? CGI -DC declaration of renunciation form is atleast clear on it. That form has a section at the bottom for Surrender Certificate.

Has any one got a separate certificate or is the stamp at the bottom of the declaration form we send to CGI is considered surrender certificate?

I sent the declaration of renunciation form + $175 on 5/21. I received yesterday the cancelled Indian passport and one of the two copies of declaration form I sent with a stamp at the bottom in the "for official use" box - "Passport cancelled vide DRL No. XXXXX on Jun 02 and returned to holder on acquiring US nationality". They didn't even sent me the receipt for the $175 along with it.

I am now confused - is the declaration form with a stamp at the bottom considered "surrender certificate" or will CGI-SF be sending any certificate in prescribed form (as mentioned on the web site) in mail later? CGI -DC declaration of renunciation form is atleast clear on it. That form has a section at the bottom for Surrender Certificate.

Has any one got a separate certificate or is the stamp at the bottom of the declaration form we send to CGI is considered surrender certificate?

That sh***y piece of paper you got IS the surrender certificate.

OCI Application Form

Just a dumb question:
When we print the application after on line registration can we print the application on back 2 back pages or on seperate pages (no back 2 back allowed ?)

That sh***y piece of paper you got IS the surrender certificate.

to get a seperate surrender form here is the price list
1. a certificate in black and white : $199 , $99 for each addl copy . for lamination add $ 87 each addl
2. surrender certificate in color : $499 , $199 for each addl copy. for lamination add $ 127 each addl
3. PDF version : $49.

take it easy

Finally Acknowledged...

OCI application sent: 21-MAY-2010
USPS confirmed delivery: 24-MAY-2010
Acknowledgement date: 11-JUN-2010
Registration Status: Under Process