OCI - New York Tracker

ulyhemi ron

Hi all, this may have been discussed earlier. I'm an Indian citizen with an EB GC. I'm planning to apply for N-400 pretty soon and I'm debating whether to apply for an OCI card or a PIO card after N-400. Does OCI card holder need Indian visa to travel to India? I was told that the PIO card holder doesn't need Indian visa to travel to India.

Given the present time-line for N-400 in Phoenix and presuming everything remains normal, I might have to travel to India in a non-emergency situation right after I get the US passport. What's the best course of action - (1) apply for PIO card; (2) OCI card (it takes close to 2 months:(); (3) apply for an Indian visa, along with the renunciation of the Indian passport. Thanks!

Finally, status changed to dispatched from MOIA on 12/19/12.

How long it takes to reach after dispatching form MOIA. Mine was dispatched on 12/13/12 and still not reached the consulate.

OCI card holder DO NOT need Indian visa to travel to India, they get U visa which is life-long..

OCI card holder DO NOT need Indian visa to travel to India, they get U visa which is life-long. Also, you can wait for 5-6 years for GC, 4 months for N400 then why you are in so hurry for OCI and have no time to wait for 2 months? :cool:

Hi all, this may have been discussed earlier. I'm an Indian citizen with an EB GC. I'm planning to apply for N-400 pretty soon and I'm debating whether to apply for an OCI card or a PIO card after N-400. Does OCI card holder need Indian visa to travel to India? I was told that the PIO card holder doesn't need Indian visa to travel to India.

Given the present time-line for N-400 in Phoenix and presuming everything remains normal, I might have to travel to India in a non-emergency situation right after I get the US passport. What's the best course of action - (1) apply for PIO card; (2) OCI card (it takes close to 2 months:(); (3) apply for an Indian visa, along with the renunciation of the Indian passport. Thanks!

akayal1973, your papers may reach to CGI, NY by next week - 12/24 or 12/26

akayal1973, looking at few signatures over here, I am sure your papers will reach to CGI, NY by next week - 12/24 or 12/26. Keep fingers crossed!!

Still hasn't been dispatched from MOIA even though it was printed on Dec. 13.

Yes, mogambo1...our case activity dates do match..

Yes, mogambo1...our case activity dates do match. Our cases may get delayed because of holidays in USA. You know that Christmas holidays are slow weeks in USA. e.g. look at Travisa website message - San Francisco office is closed on 12/24, 12/25, and yesterday Chicago office was closed early because of bad weather.

However, I am positive and feel that we will get our OCI by mid January 2013.

Your case dates are same as mine, lets keep track of our cases to see how they are progressing.

Today (MOIA website: 12/22/12; U.S. date: 12/21/2012) status changed to OCI received at NY CGI. Not yet Updated at Travisa's end. Does Travisa send you an alert as to how to send your original U.S. passport for final stamping? Do they have any scannable barcode sheet or something like that you need to enclose with the original U.S. passport?

Congrats....you are end of this process now...Need more inputs.at the time of sending US passport...

Received the e-mail alert from Travisa today. FedExed the US Passport to Travisa this afternoon (12/24/12).

Congrats...Need more inputs.at the time of sending US passport...You asked following question in your earlier posting that - Do they have any scannable barcode sheet or something like that you need to enclose with the original U.S. passport? Can you shed some light on what one need to send along with US passport? Thanks.

Congrats...Need more inputs.at the time of sending US passport...You asked following question in your earlier posting that - Do they have any scannable barcode sheet or something like that you need to enclose with the original U.S. passport? Can you shed some light on what one need to send along with US passport? Thanks.

This is the e-mail that I received (The mailing slip has a scannable barcode).

Dear XXXXXX,

Your OCI Card has been received from Delhi and is now ready to be matched up with your original US or non-Indian passport. You must now send in your original US or non-Indian passport by mail only (no in person submissions) to the Travisa Outsourcing office where you submitted your OCI application. You must send the exact same passport that you entered on your OCI application form.
It is strongly recommended to send in your passport by a track-able method such as FedEx or UPS. Do not provide a handwritten or manual UPS or FedEx air bill. Handwritten and manual airbills cannot be used by our office.

Instructions:

Print the attached mailing slip and attach it to the outside of your package to send your original US or non-Indian passport to the Travisa Outsourcing office.
Print a copy of this email and include it inside your package with your original US or non-Indian passport.
Mail your original US or non-Indian passport to the address provided in the attached mailing slip.

Application ID: XXXXXXX
Manifest ID: XXXXXXXX

Travisa Outsourcing

I have the same question as yours. Can I send my passport before they ask me to send so that I save 2-3 days for mailing the passport and then 2-3 days of their acting on it. By sending it in advance they will have it ready with them (Travisa) so that as soon as Travisa/CGI, NY will receive the OCI approval they can begin processing my passport. Can I do that? Like send me passport with a cover latter stating this and sending it with the bar code containing my original OCI bar code etc.

Can you share the content of your email (like Cut and Paste) here, you can remove your case specific info? That would be of great help.

Today (MOIA website: 12/22/12; U.S. date: 12/21/2012) status changed to OCI received at NY CGI. Not yet Updated at Travisa's end. Does Travisa send you an alert as to how to send your original U.S. passport for final stamping? Do they have any scannable barcode sheet or something like that you need to enclose with the original U.S. passport?

Don't send it before you receive the Travisa e-mail asking you to send. I have a strong suspicion that if you send without receiving the e-mail from Travisa, your passport might get misplaced. In terms of text of e-mail, I posted it earlier in the day in response to malia's e-mail. Please check above.

Thanks for your prompt reply. Looking at your email text posted in response to another poster, it seems you might have same "App ID", but another new entity that I see there is a "Manifest ID", which I don't have. Maybe that is used as tracking number for your passport?

Don't send it before you receive the Travisa e-mail asking you to send. I have a strong suspicion that if you send without receiving the e-mail from Travisa, your passport might get misplaced. In terms of text of e-mail, I posted it earlier in the day in response to malia's e-mail. Please check above.

your response posted to another poster...

Looking at your response posted to another poster (the poster in hurry to send his/her passport before receiving email from Travisa) is right one.