OCI - New York Tracker

Updated signature for my case.

1/2/2013: OCI dispatched by MOIA.
1/4/2013: OCI Received by CGI NY
AND Travisa e-mail received, requesting US passport AND Mailed US PP to Travisa by USPS Priority Mail
1/7/2013: US PP delivered to Travisa (As per USPS Tracking)
1/8/2013: US PP received by Travisa System (1PM)
AND Passport prepared to go to Consulate (4PM)
1/9/2013: Passport sent to CGI, NY (8.39AM) AND Passport received at CGI, NY (2.26PM)
Predictions:
1/10/2013: OCI Processing Completed
1/11/2013: OCI with US PP mailed to me by Travisa
1/14-15/2013: US PP with OCI on it received (Or maybe sooner)[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:
Update: see my signature

Fedex website shows my PP package was delivered to Travisa on Monday 01/07 but mothing happened on my case for last 2 days & today I have this message - Passport prepared to go to Consulate

Travisa fedexed our OCI yesterday and today I received only my kids OCI, passpotrts but not mine and my wife. Contacted Travisa and they say that they sent out all 4 sets in the same envelope. Now they are asking me to contact Fedex and if they cannot find reapply by going through all processes including applying for new US passport etc. Any one has this experience. I am frustrated with this guys. what to do?

Your story is unbelievable..

Your story is unbelievable..While responding to my earlier posting, you responded - "Every day in India is Holiday". Probably they heard your sarcastic remark & did not sent your/your wifes passport & OCI. ;)

Travisa fedexed our OCI yesterday and today I received only my kids OCI, passpotrts but not mine and my wife. Contacted Travisa and they say that they sent out all 4 sets in the same envelope. Now they are asking me to contact Fedex and if they cannot find reapply by going through all processes including applying for new US passport etc. Any one has this experience. I am frustrated with this guys. what to do?

Malia thanks for your comment, I just warned that it could happen to anyone applying for OCI and imagine that you are getting ready to travel. Even they are not ready to issue a duplicate certificate, you have to go through the entire process once again.

I understand your travel urgency good_y..

Sorry to hear that you are in fix at crucial moments of travel. I understand your travel urgency good_y and have quick questions for you.

Looking at your signature, I don't see much info about your case but did you received all messages that usually seen while docs are transferred between Travisa & CGI? Not sure how to confirm that when PP & OCI package was sent from CGI to Travisa was carrying 4 passports (that is your/your PP & OCI) was dropped at CGI or while sending PP/OCI package from Travisa dropped your/your wifes PP/OCI. Messages seen on website mentioned docs transferred but never mentions the "Contnet" how many docs (in your case 4 PP & 4 OCI) were sent across Travisa/CGI and Applicant. Thats the catch.

Also, its ridiculous to ask applicant to re-apply & re-start the process. Can you get hold of Counsel (at CGI) or some officer/sr person at Travisa?

Good Luck.

Malia thanks for your comment, I just warned that it could happen to anyone applying for OCI and imagine that you are getting ready to travel. Even they are not ready to issue a duplicate certificate, you have to go through the entire process once again.

Hi Malia, thanks for the concern.
My documents was with DC that is why I did not put it here, the other site is very inactive so I come and see the NY site. When you look at my signature you will understand why I said "everyday is a holiday in India".
everything was alright until they fedexed, and now Travisa says we sent it out and we don't know whether you get it or not, Fedex is to be blamed. what a rediculous system we have! You can talk to some one at Travisa but the guy repeat the same thing over and over and no way you can contact the consulate.
It is really a big mess, after reaching at the last stage I never imagined of something of this sort. There is no support from embassy or from Travisa and now you are on yourself.
Is very unfortunate .
See the case status.
1. 10/03/2012 Service order form completed online
2. 10/07/2012 Mailed documents to Travisa by FedEx
3. 10/09/2012 Travisa Received documents.
4. 10/11/2012 Documents sent by Travisa/Received by Consulate
5. 10/17/2012 Pending approval of the Government of India
Consulate1. 10/13/2012 Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing to Consulate
2. 10/17/2012 Documents received by Consulate
3. 11/17/2012 Photo/Signature Scanned
4. 12/08/2012 Registration Status Granted
5. 12/10/2012 Documents Printing Status PRINTED
6. 12/13/2012 Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on DISPATCHED
7. 1/4/2013 Documents Received at WASHINGTON
Travisa9. 01/02/2013 OCI Card received at the Consulate from Delhi, India. Waiting for original US passport to be sent to Travisa Outsourcing. If the US passport is already at Travisa Outsourcing, no action needs to be taken.
10. 01/04/2013 - Mail package acknowledged at Outsourcing Office.
11. 01/04/2013 - Passport prepared to go to Consulate
12. 01/07/2013 - Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
13. 01/07/2013 - Documents received by Consulate
15. 01/09/2013 - Outsourcing office has verified the OCI is processed correctly. Waiting for mail courier pick up and is likely to be mailed out tomorrow.
16. 01/09/2013 - OCI & passport dispatched thru FEDEX
17. 01/10/2013 - OCI & passsports received for kIds and missing adults complete set- US pp, indian pp, oci card)

Here are some inputs for you...

Thanks for clarifying that your case is from Washington, DC and not from NY. I am keeping relevant portion of your signature for our discussion.
1. Are your kids minor? Hope so. If they are 18+ then you would have filed 4 OCI cases separately.
2. SR# 4,5,6, 7 shows that OCI was "Granted" & sent to WASHINGTON. Did you received 4 messages for every ones case as - "Granted"? It means that your/your wife OCI was approved & India govt do not have ANY objections to hold OCI of you/your wife.
3. SR# 11 & 12 - Passport prepared to go Consulate - hope Travisa sent 4 passports to Consulate
4. SR# 15 - did they verified 4 passport/OCI...we are not sure on this? Right? and I am not sure who to ask these questions - to CSR or Officer in Counsulate/Travisa. CSR will give "parrot" like info which appears in message & will not give "right corrective action". "Short cut" answer of she/he (CSR) will be to - "re-apply". BUT why to re-apply when OCI is granted by Delhi?
5. SR# 16 OCI & passport dispatched thru FEDEX. How many 4 OCI/Passports? Not sure...because you received only 2 for your kids. So, here is the catch & not sure how to confirm this. Here is "benefit of doubt" and they are passing buck to FedEx. Which is totally wrong because FedEx guys will never OPEN any packages.

My suggestions:
1. Get hold of responsible guys either at Travisa/Consulate regarding questions I raised in SR# 3, 4 & 5 and get his/her name to send your re-application docs to her/him to shorten re-application process.
2. Re-apply & shorten this process:
2.1 Re-apply for US passport for you/your wife. Sorry, to say but you have to spend $ 360 (2 x 180). You will get US passport in 2-3 days.
2.2 When you get US passport, get hold of the person you identified in step 1 and tell him/her that my/my wife's OCI is "Granted" & sent from Delhi to Washington, so if they have a copy of that docs then ask them to print & endorse your US passport. If they say that they don't have copy of your OCI then ask them to call Delhi Office & to re-print your/your wifes OCI. This will save your 20 days as OCI printing & sending to US is taking only 3-4 days.
2.3 If this can be done in person, then its good
2.4 Keep cool & do not show any dis-pleasure while talking with anyone, these guys are not happy as you are no longer Indian citizen & adopted US citizenship.

Hope this helps & that's what I think on top of my head. Keep posted regarding your events to help out fellow members!!

Good Luck.

See the case status.
Consulate
4. 12/08/2012 Registration Status Granted
5. 12/10/2012 Documents Printing Status PRINTED
6. 12/13/2012 Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on DISPATCHED
7. 1/4/2013 Documents Received at WASHINGTON
Travisa
11. 01/04/2013 - Passport prepared to go to Consulate
12. 01/07/2013 - Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
15. 01/09/2013 - Outsourcing office has verified the OCI is processed correctly. Waiting for mail courier pick up and is likely to be mailed out tomorrow.
16. 01/09/2013 - OCI & passport dispatched thru FEDEX

Hi Malia ,
Thanks a lot for your inputs, after 48h , Fedex told me they have located some of my documents and are shipping to me, they said it is two passports and OCI cards I am not sure until I get it in hand.
As you asked, I got all the 4 emails for the consulate approval, and 4 e mails from Travisa for sending the passport.
Still I am waiting for the documents to arrive. Fed ex told me that they have several passports, so I am so surprised how many people are loosing it. The lady from FEDEX called me because the renunciation certificate had my phone number.
I will update as soon as I get the Fedex shipment.
Anyway keep an eye and if possible and if you are near to the Travisa go and collect it, that is my advice.

good_y..you gave me partial good news...hope for good..

good_y..you gave me partial good news...hope for good. Also, its shocking & scary what FedEx guy told you -"Fedex told me that they have several passports"..Its very dangerous and now my BP going high & waiting for pp/OCI as I am planning back home end of Feb.

Keep posted & give us good news that you/your wife did received pp/OCI.

Fed ex told me that they have several passports, so I am so surprised how many people are loosing it

Hi Malia,
Great news, Fedex just now delivered me the mine and my wife's US passports, Indian PP, OCI card and the renunciation certificate- missing my renunciation certificate. Thank GOD, finally the real headache is over.
I do not think FEDEX is going to recover my certificate- is it required for the travel do I contact embassy to send me another copy of the certificate.
I will contact Travisa and let know.

I don't understand how can Fedex deliver your passports, once Travisa seals the envelopes, how can something go missing out of them. Maybe Travisa using Fedex shipping staff to fill and mail envelopes, I didn't know that is possible and if so, it is very irresponsible of them to hand over such important docs to Fedex guys to fill and seal envelopes with such docs.

Hi Malia,
Great news, Fedex just now delivered me the mine and my wife's US passports, Indian PP, OCI card and the renunciation certificate- missing my renunciation certificate. Thank GOD, finally the real headache is over.
I do not think FEDEX is going to recover my certificate- is it required for the travel do I contact embassy to send me another copy of the certificate.

Hi Malia,

You don't need the renunciation certificate for travel. Carefully check your Indian passport - is there a stamp "Passport Canceled after acquiring US citizenship.." or something to that affect?

good_y..thats great news...

good_y, that's great news. Renunciation certificate is NOT required for travel but may require for any other purpose in "FEATURE" but I am not sure when these will ask for it. Check your/your wifes Indian passport has marked as "Cancelled as acquired US citizenship". Check your US passport have "U" stamping. ALso, followup with Travisa/CGI, NY regarding missing Renunciation certificate. If Travisa/ CGI lost it in transit then you have to spend $80 (2 x $40) to get new Renunciation certificate. Keep updated on new story, if any.

Have Happy & safe journey.

Hi Malia,

Thanks malia, nkm-oct23, and mogambo1,
Yes the passports are stamped "Passport Canceled after acquiring US citizenship.." . But I heard that the certificate of renunciation is required if you want some power of attorney or similar in future to deal with the Indian embassy, so I think I have to get it from the embassy.
Mogambo1-I do not know who is packing, but is very carelessly put inside the envelope and they did not seal properly, and it has fallen off during transit. It is a miracle to recover from the FEDEX huge sorting facility in Memphis TN. If travisa has put all the documents in a separate envelope and put in FEDEX envelope then this would not have happened. But who cares? According to them they handle hundreds of passports a day, so this may happen. The most unfortunate thing is nobody take responsibility and we are the one to suffer.
Goodluck with you guys,and hope and pray that this will not happen to any of you.

Good luck, at last the nightmare is over. Maybe this was your last dealing with Travisa/ CGI, NY ;)

My passport reached Travisa on 7th and since 9th my status is showing as "Docs received at consulate", so I don't know what do they do sitting on our passport for 4/5 days to one week.

Thanks malia, nkm-oct23, and mogambo1,
Yes the passports are stamped "Passport Canceled after acquiring US citizenship.." . But I heard that the certificate of renunciation is required if you want some power of attorney or similar in future to deal with the Indian embassy, so I think I have to get it from the embassy.
Mogambo1-I do not know who is packing, but is very carelessly put inside the envelope and they did not seal properly, and it has fallen off during transit. It is a miracle to recover from the FEDEX huge sorting facility in Memphis TN. If travisa has put all the documents in a separate envelope and put in FEDEX envelope then this would not have happened. But who cares? According to them they handle hundreds of passports a day, so this may happen. The most unfortunate thing is nobody take responsibility and we are the one to suffer.
Goodluck with you guys,and hope and pray that this will not happen to any of you.

Oh, great, just a moment ago (1/14/2013, 11.58am) my status changed to: "Outsourcing office has verified the OCI is processed correctly. Waiting for mail courier pick up and is likely to be mailed out tomorrow."

Now I think Travisa will send their guys to pick it up from CGI, most likely today or tomorrow. I should then expect Travisa to USPS Priority Mail my PP to me either tomorrow or day after. I think I will receive it by Thursday or Friday or (1/17-18/2013).

Good luck, at last the nightmare is over. Maybe this was your last dealing with Travisa/ CGI, NY ;)

My passport reached Travisa on 7th and since 9th my status is being showing as "Docs received at consulate", so I don't know what do they do sitting on our passport for 4/5 days to one week.

Just received an email from Travisa and status again at 12.02 (1/14/2013) changed to:"Passport Mailed out".

I think I will receive it in 2-3 days, so maybe hope for 1/16/2013.

Oh, great, just a moment ago (1/14/2013, 11.58am) my status changed to:

Outsourcing office has verified the OCI is processed correctly. Waiting for mail courier pick up and is likely to be mailed out tomorrow.

Now I think Travisa will send their guys to pick it up from CGI, most likely today or tomorrow. I should then expect Travisa to USPS Priority Mail my PP to me either tomorrow or day after. I think I will receive it by Thursday or Friday or (1/17-18/2013).

Update: Pl see my updated signature - PP/OCI mailed out

Pl see my updated signature. Hope PP/OCI will reach by Friday 01/18.