OCI - New York Tracker

Q.3265 VISA to NRIs

March 16, 2011

LOK SABHA
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO.3265
TO BE ANSWERED ON 16.03.2011

SHRI P.L. PUNIA:

Will the Minister of EXTERNAL AFFAIRS be pleased to state:

(a) whether the Government has formulated a scheme to provide lifetime visa to the Non-Resident Indians;
(b) if so, the details thereof;
(c) whether PIO and OCI cards are likely to be merged in this scheme; and
(d) if so, the details thereof?

ANSWER THE MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS (SMT. PRENEET KAUR)

(a) & (b) Yes. The Government has formulated ‘Overseas Citizen of India (OCI) Card’ which is issued to a foreign national (i) who was citizen of India any time after after 26th January, 1950 or (ii) who was eligible for citizenship of India on 26th January, 1950 or (iii) who is a citizen of another country, but belonged to a territory that became part of India after 15th August, 1947 or (iv) who is a child or grand child of such a citizen or (v) any person who is a minor child of a person mentioned in clauses (i) to (iv) above. No person who is or was a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh or such other country as the Central Government may specify shall be eligible for OCI card. The holder of an OCI card is entitled to multiple-entry, multi-purpose life long visa for visiting India and can take up studies, business, employment etc in India. The holder enjoys parity with Non-resident Indians in economic, financial and educational fields except for acquisition of agricultural land or plantation. The scheme is already in force.

(c) & (d) Yes. PIO and OCI cards will be merged with effect from 1st April, 2011. After merger, the holders of the two cards shall enjoy the same benefits and shall be subject to the same restrictions.

http://meaindia.nic.in/myprint.php?id=220217425&d=26&sz=c&m=&y=&pg=&flg=&searchdata1=

what do you guys think about this?

Did submit passports along with form in March. But get email alert saying "Your OCI Card has been received from Delhi and is now ready to be matched up with your original passport. You must now send in your original passport to the Travisa Outsourcing office where you submitted your OCI application". Is anyone in the same boat???

Last edited by a moderator:
ALL DONE! I received mine and my son's OCI docs (passport + book) this afternoon. My experience wasn't as bad, except for Travisa taking 4 weeks to open the application, and they sending me an email that passport was sent when in reality, FEDEX picked it up the next day. But overall, I think they are getting there and will eventually have the process down to a science.

FYI - I did my surrender certificate and OCI as two different processes.

Best of luck everyone. I'll be back in a couple of years when it is time for my son's new passport. Cheers!

Travisa Update
Date/Time Action
05/06/2011 1:14pm EST Service order form completed online
05/12/2011 6:21pm EST OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing. Please allow Travisa Outsourcing up to 7 business days before the application status changes. Note that your application will undergo several steps before the status is updated.
05/22/2011 3:26pm EST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
06/10/2011 11:52am EST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
06/12/2011 9:18am EST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
06/13/2011 11:24am EST Documents received by Consulate
06/16/2011 2:00pm EST Pending approval of the Government of India

MHA Update
Photo/Signature Scanned On 14-JUN-2011
Registration Status Granted On 15-JUN-2011
Documents Printing Status PRINTED On 04-JUL-2011 (automatically changed from 02-JUL)
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI Cell): NEW DELHI On 11-JUL-2011
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI On 15-JUL-2011

Travisa Update
07/19/2011 2:42pm EST Outsourcing office has verified the OCI is processed correctly. Ready for pickup between 4:30pm and 6:00pm. If mail back, waiting for FedEx pick up and is likely to be mailed out tomorrow.
07/19/2011 3:10pm EST Passport mailed out. Please note that the tracking information may not be active for up to 1 business day.

Fedex Update
07/20/2011 9:32pm EST Picked Up (Express Saver - Guaranteed Delivery by 7/24/2011 4:30pm)
07/21/2011 2:00pm EST Delivered

Hello,

amazed to see the Travisa/Indian Govt processing speed. got an email from Travisa NY to send in US passport for matcing up the OCI. Will be mailing in the passport tomorrow.

Affixing photos to application form

Is it permitted to apply transparent tape over the edges of photos affixed to the application form?

I am applying for OCI and renunciation together. So you know how should I arrange the document? I waiting for more than an hour on phone with Travisa, twice.

a. 2 sets of OCI documents with the renunciation documents inside OCI documents. The document list has 10th item under OCI as “10.Proof of Renunciation of Indian Citizenship:” OR
b. 4 sets – 2 for OCI and 2 for renunciation?

sanket_82: Good luck for speedy processing. Just curious to know your thoughts why you preferred to send your passport using USPS certified mail instead of Priority mail? Both provide proof of mailing and delivery confirmation. Any advantage of one over the other?

Update. Hope to recieve US passport by end-of-next week.

sanket_82: Good luck for speedy processing. Just curious to know your thoughts why you preferred to send your passport using USPS certified mail instead of Priority mail? Both provide proof of mailing and delivery confirmation. Any advantage of one over the other?

Just like that. I'm in no hurry for OCI so send it by reg mail rather than priority mail. I don't know if there is any price diff between the two.

ate/Time Action
05/20/2011 1:28pm EST Service order form completed online
05/25/2011 4:15pm EST OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing. Please allow Travisa Outsourcing up to 7 business days before the application status changes. Note that your application will undergo several steps before the status is updated.
06/02/2011 9:57am EST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
06/02/2011 10:01am EST Outsourcing office has received OCI application, but cannot process further. Application is on hold.
06/11/2011 12:57pm EST Travisa Outsourcing has matched up your documents, and we are preparing your application to go to the Consulate shortly.
06/20/2011 2:21pm EST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
06/21/2011 12:08pm EST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
06/21/2011 3:03pm EST Documents received by Consulate
06/24/2011 2:00pm EST Pending approval of the Government of India
07/15/2011 3:55pm EST OCI Card received at the Consulate from Delhi, India. Waiting for original US passport to be sent to Travisa Outsourcing. If the US passport is already at Travisa Outsourcing, no action needs to be taken.
07/22/2011 3:21pm EST Passport prepared to go to Consulate
07/25/2011 8:51am EST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
07/25/2011 5:39pm EST Documents received by Consulate
08/01/2011 12:46pm EST Outsourcing office has verified the OCI is processed correctly. Ready for pickup between 4:30pm and 6:00pm. If mail back, waiting for FedEx pick up and is likely to be mailed out tomorrow.
08/02/2011 9:51am EST Passport mailed out. Please note that the tracking information may not be active for up to 1 business day.

OCI for 3 week baby

Hi Guys, my wife and I got our OCI in Dec 2010. That time Travisa was not around. To get OCI for my daughter (3 week) I have to go thru Travisa. AM I CORRECT. And the money order for 290. Does that have to made out to Travisa too. Is it one money order for Consular and Travisa fees? Thanks for your help.

-Rajmandude

Also one more question. Does the US PP have to be sent with the OCI application to TraVISA. Please let me know. Thanks.

Hi Guys, my wife and I got our OCI in Dec 2010. That time Travisa was not around. To get OCI for my daughter (3 week) I have to go thru Travisa. AM I CORRECT. And the money order for 290. Does that have to made out to Travisa too. Is it one money order for Consular and Travisa fees? Thanks for your help.

-Rajmandude

Hi, Just a quick question. I heard somewhere from someone that a child can only get OCI with parent and not alone. Is that true? Just wanted to update my knowledge since I'm not sure if that info is correct or not?

Hello,

amazed to see the Travisa/Indian Govt processing speed. got an email from Travisa NY to send in US passport for matcing up the OCI. Will be mailing in the passport tomorrow.

Hi sanket_82, I need my OCI as soon as I can since I need an urgent trip. I want to be prepared. So can you please let me know the details of the email, like what all I need to send, so I can be ready. I really appreciate any help on this respect. Thanks

08/03/2011 8:33am EST Service order form completed online
08/04/2011 12:20pm EST OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing.
08/04/2011 6:35pm EST Application assigned for processing
08/05/2011 10:21am EST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
08/05/2011 11:54am EST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
08/08/2011 8:33am EST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
08/08/2011 11:36am EST Documents received by Consulate
08/11/2011 2:00pm EST Pending approval of the Government of India

From MHA:
Photo/Signature at Mission : Scanned On 09-AUG-2011
Registration Status at Mission : Granted On 10-AUG-2011
Documents Printing Status PRINTED On 10-AUG-2011
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ): NEW DELHI On 11-AUG-2011
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

What to send?

supan: It looks like your OCI process is progressing at a rapid clip. Within a week of receipt at Travisa your document has already been printed and dispatched as well. It should be received at NY CGI probably on 8/15/2011 or may be Tuesday as Monday is a holiday for CGI. You will receive the following email from Travisa within the hour the status at MHA changes to Documents received........ Basically, all you need to send is the passport along with a copy of Travisa email. I have seen in this forum that some send a copy of their renunciation certificate as abundant precaution. Good luck.

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Your OCI Card has been received from Delhi and is now ready to be matched up with your original US or non-Indian passport. You must now send in your original US or non-Indian passport by mail only (no in person submissions) to the Travisa Outsourcing office where you submitted your OCI application. It is strongly recommended to send in your passport by a track-able method such as FedEx or UPS.

Instructions:
• Print the attached mailing slip and attach it to the outside of your package to send your original US or non-Indian passport to the Travisa Outsourcing office.
• Print a copy of this email and include it inside your package with your original US or non-Indian passport.
• Mail your original US or non-Indian passport to the address provided in the attached mailing slip

Application ID: xxxxxxxxx
Manifest ID: xxxxxxxxxxx

Sincerely,
Travisa Outsourcing

Hi sanket_82, I need my OCI as soon as I can since I need an urgent trip. I want to be prepared. So can you please let me know the details of the email, like what all I need to send, so I can be ready. I really appreciate any help on this respect. Thanks

08/03/2011 8:33am EST Service order form completed online
08/04/2011 12:20pm EST OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing.
08/04/2011 6:35pm EST Application assigned for processing
08/05/2011 10:21am EST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
08/05/2011 11:54am EST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
08/08/2011 8:33am EST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
08/08/2011 11:36am EST Documents received by Consulate
08/11/2011 2:00pm EST Pending approval of the Government of India

From MHA:
Photo/Signature at Mission : Scanned On 09-AUG-2011
Registration Status at Mission : Granted On 10-AUG-2011
Documents Printing Status PRINTED On 10-AUG-2011
Dispatched From MOIA (OCI ): NEW DELHI On 11-AUG-2011
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

Renunciation

Thank you so much for the reply. I will have the passport handy so I can mail it to them immediately.

I applied for renunciation and OCI together. So I hope should not be a problem.
What all I can expect to get back from them? Will it be all together?
1. US passport with OCI stamp
2. OCI card
3. Original Indian passport with cancelled stamp
4. Renunciation Certificate

Thanks again.

supan: It looks like your OCI process is progressing at a rapid clip. Within a week of receipt at Travisa your document has already been printed and dispatched as well. It should be received at NY CGI probably on 8/15/2011 or may be Tuesday as Monday is a holiday for CGI. You will receive the following email from Travisa within the hour the status at MHA changes to Documents received........ Basically, all you need to send is the passport along with a copy of Travisa email. I have seen in this forum that some send a copy of their renunciation certificate as abundant precaution. Good luck.

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

Your OCI Card has been received from Delhi and is now ready to be matched up with your original US or non-Indian passport. You must now send in your original US or non-Indian passport by mail only (no in person submissions) to the Travisa Outsourcing office where you submitted your OCI application. It is strongly recommended to send in your passport by a track-able method such as FedEx or UPS.

Instructions:
• Print the attached mailing slip and attach it to the outside of your package to send your original US or non-Indian passport to the Travisa Outsourcing office.
• Print a copy of this email and include it inside your package with your original US or non-Indian passport.
• Mail your original US or non-Indian passport to the address provided in the attached mailing slip

Application ID: xxxxxxxxx
Manifest ID: xxxxxxxxxxx

Sincerely,
Travisa Outsourcing

Document receipt

supan: If you applied for renunciation along with OCI then the speed at which your case has progressed is amazing.

Yes, you will receive the 4 documents as per your list

Thank you so much for the reply. I will have the passport handy so I can mail it to them immediately.

I applied for renunciation and OCI together. So I hope should not be a problem.
What all I can expect to get back from them? Will it be all together?
1. US passport with OCI stamp
2. OCI card
3. Original Indian passport with cancelled stamp
4. Renunciation Certificate

Thanks again.