OCI - New York Tracker

Here is the update: docs dispatched on March 11th...

----
Mailed: Jan 28
Ack: Feb 24
Scanned : Feb 24
Granted: March 3
dispatched: March 11
Recd at CGI NY.... ???

I still don't understand the OCI process. I doubt they actually print and post the cards from Delhi. They are made of the same material as passports, so they must have stock in consulates and embassies.

Vivek:
Nothing for our case either! I do see people going thru Travisa and getting "GRANTED". Has CGI kept the apps that were mailed just before the outsourcing happened to the side somewhere? I will send an email as well. I had done this before, but have not heard anything at all. I will do it again.

My friend applied her OCI thru travisa along with me and she got the email today saying her OCI is back from india, took less than a month.

here is my status as of now

Date/Time Action
02/18/2011 4:23pm EST India visa application completed online
02/23/2011 9:13am EST Passport and supporting documents received by Travisa Outsourcing, payment processed
02/23/2011 9:13am EST Outsourcing office has received visa application, but cannot process further. Application is on hold.
03/08/2011 6:03pm EST Travisa Outsourcing has received your fax, and we are preparing your documents to go to the Consulate shortly.
03/10/2011 2:09pm EST Documents prepared to go to Consulate
03/11/2011 8:32am EST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing to Consulate
03/11/2011 10:37am EST Documents received by Consulate

Hello,Need some assistance.

I am in a similar boat as shahgk. My wife became USC back in 2003. After becoming USC, her passport was cancelled (stamped as CANCELLED on the third page) when she got Indian visa.
Now, she applied for OCI and she got an email from Travisa that she has to pay $250.00 penality because her passport was not cancelled. I wrote them an email saying that it has already been cancelled back in 2003. They responded that your passport does not say "Canceled due to Acquired US Citizenship".

I told them that back in 2003 CGNY were calcelling all the passport with the same stamp ("CENCELLED"). They were not mentioning the reason for cancellation. I have not heard back from them so far.

Any suggestions?

I had become USC in 2007. I was intending to apply for OCI right away but kept postponing it. Then in mid-2010 I learnt that it was necessary to get surrender certificate even for getting a visa, forget OCI. So, I scrambled to apply for the certificate. This is despite the fact that I had already travelled on a visitor's visa to India prior to that, and my passport had "cancelled" endorsed on it. I paid 20 dollars per family member (who had held Indian citizenship previously), and got the certificates.

I don't get why you didn't just apply for surrrender certiticates before applying for OCI. I understand that your passports said "cancelled", but anyone who knows Indian mentality would have understood that they really want surrender certificates (and the 20 dollars or 175 dollars - depending on when you got your USC) from all OCI applicants.

You could still try to apply for surrender certificate now. I applied for the certificates, then applied for OCI.

Vivek:
Thanks for the update. I went to online status chk website and went to the forgot registration number link. I entered the passport number and dob and viola! This is what I see for both mine and my wife' case

Application Status
Photo/Signature Scanned On 09-MAR-2011 Registration Status UnderProcess
Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

Coincidentally just moved today!!! Try yours..see if you are in the same boat too for ur wifes app..

I checked my wife's application status and it was acknowledged today.
Applied: Jan 29,2011
Recieved: Jan 31,2011
Acknowledgement: March 14,2011

I checked my wife's application status and it was acknowledged today.
Applied: Jan 29,2011
Recieved: Jan 31,2011
Acknowledgement: March 14,2011

Good to know Vivek! That's a good sign..Mine is still sitting in the same status (Scanned and Under Process). Hoping for some movement this/next week

Travisa received it on March 8th via fedex, no updates yet.

I sent my renunciation request to Travisa and according to UPS, they received it on March 8th as well. No updates yet. I spoke with a customer service representative who said they are inundated with large volume of mail. I sent them an email as well. Here is the response I got:

Thank you for your email. Unfortunately, we are currently back logged due to high volume of mail coming in. As soon as your package is opened and processed you will be notified by an email notification. You can also track your status online on our website www.travisarenunciation.com, simply click on "Track Your Renunciation" and type in your application id no. and last name; you will be updated with the most recent information. Thank you for your patience.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.
Thank you,

Hi,
Here is the update

02/18/2011 India visa application completed online
02/25/2011 India visa application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsoucing
02/25/2011 Application assigned for processing
02/25/2011 Passport and supporting documents received by Travisa Outsourcing, payment processed
02/28/2011 Documents prepared to go to Consulate
03/01/2011 Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing to Consulate
03/01/2011 Documents received by Consulate
03/02/2011 Photos scanned
03/03/2011 Registration granted
03/07/2011 Documents Printed
03/11/2011 Documents dispatched
03/15/2011 Documents recd at NY

Thanks

Folks, I have been guilty of this as much as anyone, so I am not pointing fingers or riling anyone. Just one observation I have is that people get so eager to find out status after just a few days. I think we all have been through the long immigration process that took years, and we see OCI as the end of it all. We want it to finish quickly and get it over with. My point being, lets give these guys some breathing room and do their work and not create extra work by non-stop calling and emailing them. So what if we have not received an acknowledgement after say 5 days of the receipt, or so what if the status is the same after 6 days etc.. Have you forgotten your experience with USCIS, where a week would be a miracle to get anything done!! Lets not be overly worried until there is actually an issue and the processing goes beyond the expected timelines (30 days or 40 days).

Enough said...over to you guys..

sertra2002 - I don't really care how long it takes for them to process. I just want them to acknowledge that they have received the package. Let's assume for some reason (even though fedex / ups confirms they have delivered it) the package is misplaced / lost - do you realize the headache it would cost to get a replacement passport? In the event of an emergency travel to India, you are pretty much stuck!!!

Just venting out my concern. I understand your point as well, but please realize that everyone is different and everyone has different priorities....

Here is the update: docs dispatched on March 11th...

----
Mailed: Jan 28
Ack: Feb 24
Scanned : Feb 24
Granted: March 3
dispatched: March 11
Recd at CGI NY.... March 15..