OCI - New York Tracker

Not sure why or how this is done, but I have seen many applications being processed out of turn. If you note the USANI number, then you will also find that these are much newer applications than your own which probably has been waiting at the consulate just to be acknowledged. My application has USANI34xxxxx which I mailed the same day on which I registered online, but I am still waiting for the OCI to be printed. Typically this out of turn processing is done towards the end their workday for processing the applications (by lunch time?) and will show the date of the following day for us (already next day in India).

It is also appears that there is no systematic way to acknowledge and process the applications in the order in which they are received.

But how come this application was processed in just one day. I went to immihelp website for OCI Tracker NY and looked at previous 200 applications of last 2 years; none have been ack, photo scanned and granted in one day!!

The consulate until lunch had ack file # USAN02061010 and then they stopped at this number as usual on any day. After 2-3 hrs this ack came up USAN02061110 and hence raised an alarm for me - OCI IN ONE DAY.

I am pretty sure there are some kickbacks for this application. I wish it is not and may be this applicant if reading the forum can clarify !!

Dear All

Yesterday the last OCI processed at the consulate was USANI4466910. It was Ack, Photo scanned and GRANTED in one day. How is this possible? May be related to the consulate or paid extra under the table.

We have been waiting for more than one month. The consulate is sending our applications back for small f*****g reasons. Can we write or complain to someone above this consulate for this injustice?

Let us all get together and do something? Any ideas to protest this?

I have submitted my OCI on Sep 11th and delivered on Sep 13th with Prepaid priority postage. I missed Original PIO card while submitting. Now, I got back my package on Sep 30th. I have re-submitted with PIO card again with prepaid postage:). Let us see how it goes.

When did you re-submit your OCI application? The CGI NY is not accepting any OCI applications till further notice. This is what their website says:

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - Due to technical problems in the OCI processing website, the Consulate General of India will not accept fresh OCI applications till further instructions.

I am not sure what is going to happen with your application. Worse they will refuse delivery and send it back. Any OCI applicants faced this problem...kindly share your experience!!

I have submitted my OCI on Sep 11th and delivered on Sep 13th with Prepaid priority postage. I missed Original PIO card while submitting. Now, I got back my package on Sep 30th. I have re-submitted with PIO card again with prepaid postage:). Let us see how it goes.

IT Power of the world!

OCI processing stopped because of an issue with a web site? Great news coming out of a country which claims to be on top of everything IT related! Looks like these guys are waiting for an excuse to stop working.

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT - Due to technical problems in the OCI processing website, the Consulate General of India will not accept fresh OCI applications till further instructions.

I am not sure what is going to happen with your application. Worse they will refuse delivery and send it back. Any OCI applicants faced this problem...kindly share your experience!!

Actually I applied through SFO office and my application is granted but struck before printing.. Below is the message I see on CGI SFO site..

"There are certain technical difficulties in printing OCI cards in India. OCI process will take about 60 working days. If you have to travel within 60 days, please defer your OCI application or request return, at your cost, of your US passport."

Date Of Acknowledgment 15-SEP-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On 16-SEP-2010
Registration Status Granted On 16-SEP-2010
Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED

Its not a fresh application. I posted at on Oct 2nd, 2010. As of now, its been accepted in NY Office (usps -
Status: Delivered). If i get my application back, i will update in this forum

When did you re-submit your OCI application? The CGI NY is not accepting any OCI applications till further notice. ...

I had posted the following on 9/29 and got no feedback. Would appreciate any response from folks on this forum.

OCI Application Returned

I have a peculiar problem that I am facing. I had asked for simultaneous cancellation of my passport at the time of applying for my OCI. It took them a month to return it!

My OCI application was returned by CGNY with the following comments:
1.'Name Change' Petition from US authorities as the name in the US passport does not tally with the name in Indian Passport
2. Proof of address in our jurisdiction

On the 2nd point, I had already provided a copy of my NJ Driver's license with the address showing!

On the 1st point, my original Indian passport had a long name eg
My name + Father's name + a composite family name; typical of Goan family names! Just as an example "Sachin Ramesh Shenvi Tendulkar"
While issuing the Green Card, the INS did not use the 1st part of the family name and it suited fine, as there was no discrepancy. Thereafter the Citizenship was also granted that way! "Sachin Ramesh Shenvi Tendulkar" was turned into "Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar" -- without the Shenvi.
Now the Consulate is asking for "Attach name change petition copy from court order"

Any clues on how I can go about resolving this? My Green Card was issued over 20 years ago and my US Citizenship over 10!

I had posted this earlier on but appears nobody saw it! Does anybody on this forum have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Got Surrender certificate and Cancelled passport back. It took 4 weeks to cancel a passport and ofcourse $175.
Time to apply for OCI...
Guess what OCI site is down technical glitches. I wish we could have been told our customers like this and take week of a vacation.
Where my $175 working ?

Last edited by a moderator:
What a difficult situation to be in. I submitted my OCI + Indian passport surrender application together over two months ago. My kids' PIO cards (original) were also sent with the application. The thing is, till this is sorted, I can't travel to India. Not sure how long we will stay in this limbo/trishanku situation.

Sent/Delivered Aug 6/Aug 9 2010
Date Of Acknowledgment 03-SEP-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On 17-SEP-2010
Registration Status UnderProcess
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

I would suggest you to go to any nearest US court. There is a free counselling cell in the court. Approach them and ask for a petition of name change. If all goes well may be this will be done in one hour else it can be done in few days. Take all your documents and paper work. You can also research on the website and may be on these forums. I came across many situation where people did this name change. DO some google search and hope it helps.

The address proof need to be 2 different kind. Hence send 2 copies of DL and 2 copies of utility bill or bank statement.

Please make sure that you follow what the consulate requires. As this is very important that you must satisfy or fulfill the consulate rules.

You can also send an email to the Consulate General for clarification of the name change rule. Hopefully he will reply and that is posted on his website "Please contact the CG for any unresolved matter"

Wish you the best....

I had posted the following on 9/29 and got no feedback. Would appreciate any response from folks on this forum.

OCI Application Returned

I have a peculiar problem that I am facing. I had asked for simultaneous cancellation of my passport at the time of applying for my OCI. It took them a month to return it!

My OCI application was returned by CGNY with the following comments:
1.'Name Change' Petition from US authorities as the name in the US passport does not tally with the name in Indian Passport
2. Proof of address in our jurisdiction

On the 2nd point, I had already provided a copy of my NJ Driver's license with the address showing!

On the 1st point, my original Indian passport had a long name eg
My name + Father's name + a composite family name; typical of Goan family names! Just as an example "Sachin Ramesh Shenvi Tendulkar"
While issuing the Green Card, the INS did not use the 1st part of the family name and it suited fine, as there was no discrepancy. Thereafter the Citizenship was also granted that way! "Sachin Ramesh Shenvi Tendulkar" was turned into "Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar" -- without the Shenvi.
Now the Consulate is asking for "Attach name change petition copy from court order"

Any clues on how I can go about resolving this? My Green Card was issued over 20 years ago and my US Citizenship over 10!

I had posted this earlier on but appears nobody saw it! Does anybody on this forum have any suggestions?

Thanks!

procedure to pick up OCI

My OCI is approved what do I need to know while collecting it personally.

1. What time of the day
2. What documents to take with you
3. I think they are open on Oct 11th.

Thanks
BK

I am also in a similar situation as you. See my signature for my application time lines. With the OCI printing on hold now, I am actually planning to apply for an Entry Visa soon as I have to travel to India later this month. Have you got your canceled Indian PP back yet? If yes, you may want to try and get an Entry Visa for yourself. Consulate may be able to return your kids' PIO cards if there is an urgent need for you to travel. Try contacting the consulate and if you don't get a reply from the lower echelons, then email Deputy Consul General or the Consul General.

What a difficult situation to be in. I submitted my OCI + Indian passport surrender application together over two months ago. My kids' PIO cards (original) were also sent with the application. The thing is, till this is sorted, I can't travel to India. Not sure how long we will stay in this limbo/trishanku situation.

Sent/Delivered Aug 6/Aug 9 2010
Date Of Acknowledgment 03-SEP-2010
Photo/Signature Scanned On 17-SEP-2010
Registration Status UnderProcess
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI NOT YET

My oci application was acknowledged on 9/13, photoo scanned on 9/23 and that's it - no change in status since then. Not sure if this due to the "web site being down syndrome". Any ideas guys?

I believe the problem was not with the web site per se, but it was with printing the actual cards (news from SF and Chicago consulates). I have noticed that their system was under maintenance more often than not as it was in the past. However the printing problem appears to have been sorted out by now and they have started printing the cards again; they printed a considerable amount of cards today.

My oci application was acknowledged on 9/13, photoo scanned on 9/23 and that's it - no change in status since then. Not sure if this due to the "web site being down syndrome". Any ideas guys?

I believe the problem was not with the web site per se, but it was with printing the actual cards (news from SF and Chicago consulates). I have noticed that their system was under maintenance more often than not as it was in the past. However the printing problem appears to have been sorted out by now and they have started printing the cards again; they printed a considerable amount of cards today.

Hi usindus,
How did you come to know that the problem has been resolved. Does this mean that all the applications are again being processed.

Thanks