OCI - New York Tracker

Mr.Sharma is active

Only Mr. Sharma/Ever ministry replied to my repeated request about the SC rules and validaity of the retroactive implementation - I do not know whether he has any power but atleast once soul has considered our request

Dear mission,

With reference to e-mail dated 13.05.2010, received from Mr., it is intimated that the OCI documents are ready since 23.04.2010. OCI fees is US $275 and no other charges to be given by the applicant for this purpose. However, mission may please be clarified the observations of the applicant regarding surrender certificate under intimation to this Ministry.

Regards
Ever Ministry

What a royal mess...can someone help me

Folks - I read ALL of the topics around the SC and OCI situation, and am still confused :(

Here's my summary - NAturalized on Dec 21, 2009. Sent OCI application (first time) in Feb 2010 and it was returned for additional documentation. The second time it was acknowledged on 26 April and my OCI application was approved on May 7. The documents were dispatched on May 10 and the website showed them as having been received on May 26

So two questions
1. Do I need a SC?
2. What is the process for getting the OCI card - do I go to the consulate, or do I HAVE to mail in my papers?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Folks - I read ALL of the topics around the SC and OCI situation, and am still confused :(

Here's my summary - NAturalized on Dec 21, 2009. Sent OCI application (first time) in Feb 2010 and it was returned for additional documentation. The second time it was acknowledged on 26 April and my OCI application was approved on May 7. The documents were dispatched on May 10 and the website showed them as having been received on May 26

So two questions
1. Do I need a SC?
------Before you collect OCI you need to get SC by paying $175 +20 if sending by mail
2. What is the process for getting the OCI card - do I go to the consulate, or do I HAVE to mail in my papers?
------------You Can mail Form for SC (three Copies) signed by you before Notary +Indian passport+ $175+$20 mailing charge. Once you get the SC by mail then again Send your US passport, Copy of SC and First page of canceled Indian passport with red stamp.
Or
if you get SC by mail and have to travel then with SC and US passport, Indian canceled Passport go to Consulate to collect the OCI
Thanks!
---------------

Do I need a SC with an already cancelled Indian pp

---------------

My OCI appln is pending with scanned status for almost 3 weeks.
My Indian pp was cancelled 10 years back (Canadian citizenship)
Now I have applied for OCI based on US citizenship.

Do I need to preempt and send in the SC (after these 10 years) so that OCI blockage is cleared.
I am asking because these nincompoops sitting in the Consulate are not going to contact, I am sure.

Yes PennUSC. I did go there on 29th and got my OCI.....

I reached there 9:15AM. There were so many people and i was standing in Madison Ave... :) while joining the line./..

By the time i reach the counters.. it is 3:15 PM.... Yeap it is 3:15PM.... literally...
it should have been much earlier.. but... few (about houndred) of our "GREAT INDIAN PEOPLE"..... joined the line in between and we got screwed up....

Finally,when i was there at the counter...just a step behind.. some consulate lady asked me to give way for a parent as their kid was giving trouble... so let them in...

In return i asked her for some favour... as
I sent my SC application through mail (USPS) on 19th May, i show her the "tracking" receipt and asked her to look into it. Initially, she said it might not be possible to locate the application in the big lot of applications.. i requrested her and told her that my OCI is received by CGI-NY and i need to travel in next couple of weeks.
She took my tracking receipt and told that, if she can not locate the application, she will provide for issueing my OCI... so nice of her :)

----- It seems you sent Indian passport by express mail to get SC with the fees, form and Indian passport and you went to consulate on29 to get SC and OCI. you reached counter(OCI counter or SC counter?) and told the lady that you have mailed your Indian passport on 19th with Fees and you have Tracking reciept with you so she took the Tracking reciept and came back after with SC application and give you SC. is that correct info?
She went in, and returned in couple of minutes.... and SHE HAD MY SC APPLICATION IN HER HAND....
ALL SIGNED FINISHED....... :) :) :)
---She came with SC and Indian passport with Cancelled stamp?
She gave it to me with a big smile and asked me to go to first floor... and get my OCI.
--Please explain what is first floor do you mean you can go to first floor from the window you met lady for SC?

I thanked her and went to 1st floor and handed over my OCI received status page along with my USA Passport and showed my SC to the person there. He took my application and asked me come back after an hour and collect my OCI...
---do you mean first floor has many windows or you met ony only one person to collect OCI. did you gave him Copy of OCI online status page, +SC+US passport and cancelled Indian passport?

It is 3:30 PM and we are out and went to central park, had some "FOOD" relaxed for some time and came back to Consulate at 4:40PM.
Went in and waited for 10 minutes... Some other lady from OCI section came and enquired about ourselves as i said i am here to collect OCI and told her that i gave the application an hour back.
She looked into a big tray where there were few OCIs were there, she located our OCIs and gave them to us...
We are out by 5 PM.

Overallll there were hell a lot of people..... each at an average have 3 passports... so it is like at least couple of thousands of applications...

:)

Good thing is CGI-NY processed all the applications and people were there in the line at 5PM. There were at least couple of hundreds. Consulate said they are going to process all the applications.

Thanks for the detailed update.
Good Luck!!

My OCI appln is pending with scanned status for almost 3 weeks.
-------------They will not grant if you dont submit SC
My Indian pp was cancelled 10 years back (Canadian citizenship)
------ did you sent your US Address proofs like DL copy/Utility bill copy with your OCI application?
Now I have applied for OCI based on US citizenship.

Do I need to preempt and send in the SC (after these 10 years) so that OCI blockage is cleared.
------------------Yes, they need SC Before the GRANT the OCI.
Many OCI applications are acknowledged and scanned but NOT GRANTED as they need SC BEFORE they Grant the OCI. Once you submit SC then only they will GRANT the OCI and once you will see the GRANTED on OCI status page then Delhi prints the OCI Card in 2-3 days. OCI is GRANTED by Consulate and then printed in Delhi.

I am asking because these nincompoops sitting in the Consulate are not going to contact, I am sure.
They will NOT contact you and they will not send you any email. you should get SC by going to Consulate or by sending your Indian passport(even if it has cancelled stamp) and $175+$20 Mailing charge to consulate to get SC and send by Express mail.. once you get SC then go to consulate and inform them your Registration number and File number so that they can attach the Copy of SC with your pending OCI application. Or mail(express mail) the SC copy with all your information so that they attach the Copy of SC and Copy Cancelled Indian passport with OCI application. going to consulate will save the time.
Good Luck!!

Good Luck!!

Yes, I did send the US address proof with the application along with copies of cancelled Indian pp and visa bearing pages of the Canadian.

I don't understand 'SC' after 10 years with a cancelled pp. I simply don't undertstand this madness.

What next "charge repeatedly for carrying an Indian name ?"

Yes PennUSC. I did go there on 29th and got my OCI.....

I reached there 9:15AM. There were so many people and i was standing in Madison Ave... :) while joining the line./..

By the time i reach the counters.. it is 3:15 PM.... Yeap it is 3:15PM.... literally...
it should have been much earlier.. but... few (about houndred) of our "GREAT INDIAN PEOPLE"..... joined the line in between and we got screwed up....

Finally,when i was there at the counter...just a step behind.. some consulate lady asked me to give way for a parent as their kid was giving trouble... so let them in...

In return i asked her for some favour... as
I sent my SC application through mail (USPS) on 19th May, i show her the "tracking" receipt and asked her to look into it. Initially, she said it might not be possible to locate the application in the big lot of applications.. i requrested her and told her that my OCI is received by CGI-NY and i need to travel in next couple of weeks.
She took my tracking receipt and told that, if she can not locate the application, she will provide for issueing my OCI... so nice of her :)
She went in, and returned in couple of minutes.... and SHE HAD MY SC APPLICATION IN HER HAND....
ALL SIGNED FINISHED....... :) :) :)
She gave it to me with a big smile and asked me to go to first floor... and get my OCI.
I thanked her and went to 1st floor and handed over my OCI received status page along with my USA Passport and showed my SC to the person there. He took my application and asked me come back after an hour and collect my OCI...
It is 3:30 PM and we are out and went to central park, had some "FOOD" relaxed for some time and came back to Consulate at 4:40PM.
Went in and waited for 10 minutes... Some other lady from OCI section came and enquired about ourselves as i said i am here to collect OCI and told her that i gave the application an hour back.
She looked into a big tray where there were few OCIs were there, she located our OCIs and gave them to us...
We are out by 5 PM.

Overallll there were hell a lot of people..... each at an average have 3 passports... so it is like at least couple of thousands of applications...

Good thing is CGI-NY processed all the applications and people were there in the line at 5PM. There were at least couple of hundreds. Consulate said they are going to process all the applications.

Thank you to all of you, whoever is on this forum, for your queries, great comments, suggestions and help.

Special thanks to ginnu brother, Dutta ji and others, who actively share there knowledge and suggestions.

I will keep looking into different threads on this forum and will try to help others, as much as i can.....

THANK YOU ALL :) :) :)

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE.....

Anybody got their SC by mail yet?

I applied by mail on May 19th and was receicved (tracking) by consulate on 20th. I used the older form. Anybody applied on or after ay 19th got their SC back by mail yet?

I applied by mail on May 19th and was receicved (tracking) by consulate on 20th. I used the older form. Anybody applied on or after ay 19th got their SC back by mail yet?

Hi smodak,

You might receive your's shortly by mail, why i am saying this is....

When i went to CGI-NY on 29th (I sent my SC application via mail on 19th may and was received by cgi-ny on 20 may.. same as you), one of the consulate employee looked for it and it was all ready to be posted back to me... she even handed over the printed USPS mailing slip along with my application contents...

I am guessing basing on your application dates.... and my personal experiance at CGI-NY....

I too applied SC by express mail on 14th May 2010 and received by CGI-NY on 17th May 2010. I used 7th May form and notarized.
Waiting !!!!!!!! Waiting !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hope, before the end of this week we will get.

Have you guys, who have already obtained OCI cards before the new rule (Surrender Certificate) started, applying for Surrender Certificate?
Do you guys think that because of the public outcry, Indian Government will grandfather (non-retroactive) this new policy? In which we could all save some money and adminstrative burden for not acting promptly to comply with this new requirement. i.e Does procastanating help us in this type of situation? :)

Have you guys, who have already obtained OCI cards before the new rule (Surrender Certificate) started, applying for Surrender Certificate?
Do you guys think that because of the public outcry, Indian Government will grandfather (non-retroactive) this new policy? In which we could all save some money and adminstrative burden for not acting promptly to comply with this new requirement. i.e Does procastanating help us in this type of situation? :)

My understanding is that those of us who have got their OCI/PIO/visas and have their Indian passports canceled with "canceled since acquired US nationality" stamp need not get a surrender cert. If Indian passport has not been canceled as part of OCI/PIO/visa application process, then it might be a good idea to get it done some time in the future before any consular service is requested from indian missions.

My understanding is that those of us who have got their OCI/PIO/visas and have their Indian passports canceled with "canceled since acquired US nationality" stamp need not get a surrender cert. If Indian passport has not been canceled as part of OCI/PIO/visa application process, then it might be a good idea to get it done some time in the future before any consular service is requested from indian missions.

This part of the debate has not been settled yet. Yes, many CGNY/SF websites say something similar, but it is because they have not encountered too many of these cases. Once they do, and they realize they can make USD 175, things will change. I give it maximum 6-12 months before it happens.

Ups or fedex

Please let me know if new york embassy sends OCI card in UPS or FEDEX ? Thanks in advance

Surrender Certificate - thoroughly confused

Hi folks,

I became a US citizen on March 4th, 2010, got my US passport on March 8th and got a visa for India on March 12th from the NY consulate (applied in person) as I needed to go to India for some urgent business. As part of the visa application, I gave them a form for renunciation of my Indian citizenship and got a cancelled stamp on my US Passport.

I applied for my OCI a few weeks back and now my online status says, it has been granted and has been received at the NY consulate. While getting my package ready with my US passport to send to NY, I noticed that they are now asking for a Surrender Certificate along with the US Passport. This has thoroughly confused me -
1. Do I need to separately apply for this and pay US$175, get that and then send my US Passport;
2. Should I just send my cancelled Indian Passport along with my US Passport and that should take care of it, or,
3. Should I send a renunciation form, US$175 and my US Passport for the OCI stamp as part of the same package?

Will appreciate a response and guidance. Thx.