Photo/Signature Scanned: October 19th
Registration Granted: November 4th
Documents Printed: November 4th
Documents Dispatched: November 6th
Documents Received at NY: Nov 13th

I have not yet gone into the city to receive them

Status Updates

Folks,

For me and my family OCI was printed on 10 Nov 2009, Dispatched on Nov 13, 2009 and received at NYC on Nov 20, 2009.

For me it seems that the dispatch is happening on Fridays. All of the OCI printed that week seem to be dispatched on the Friday.

NYC, CGI is acknowledging the OCI dispatch the next Friday. At least, I have not seen cases to the contrary.

Hope this helps

Hi, I changed the last name during the Naturalization process. Newark Nj, USCIS did not give the name change certificate/court order along with the Nat. Certificate. Having issue in getting the DL changed as well as OCI.

Now the USCIS is mentioning that I have to file Freedom of Information Act form or G-884(return of original document). these process is very time consuming.

Did any one in the forum went through the issue? How to get the name change certificate/court order asap?

Thanks for Input.

Regards.

PIO Card

Is it ok to self attest PIO copy of the child? I saw on the NY consulate web site, that it should be notarized ?

Also, self attestation means signing the document. Is that right?

Is it ok to self attest PIO copy of the child? I saw on the NY consulate web site, that it should be notarized ?

Also, self attestation means signing the document. Is that right?

Self Attest vs Notarized varies from consulate to consulate to MHA.

Self Attestation means stating "True Copy of Original" and signing below that. I also put in a verbiage under the signature saying "[ Father ]", which I think is optional.

OCI Acknowledgement

We applied for OCI Oct 16th 09 and still waiting for the acknowledgment.

1) US Citizen Feb 09
2) Applied OCI Oct 16th

Still waiting for Acknowledgment, any one with same experience...

Accessed URL: ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp
Entered the Online Registration No: USANI*** and get the following message, tried to call consulate by no one picks up the phone.

>>Application with this number not yet Acknowledged<<

Is this normal or any suggestions how to find the status, just the carrier tracking number is not a great way to find that you application is received by the consulate.

regards,
IndianAmericana

>>Application with this number not yet Acknowledged<<

Is this normal or any suggestions how to find the status, just the carrier tracking number is not a great way to find that you application is received by the consulate.

Unfortunately, this is the way short of getting hold of someone in the consulate - but even their helpfulness is doubtful - not because they do not want to help, but because of the limited amount of information they track.

Notarized Copy - New York?

Is a notarized copy of PIO card needed while applying OCI in new york?

I am not sure but in my opinion (formed on the basis of conversation with a friend at DC embassy); the thumb rule is that for any document for which you are also mailing the original; you may not need a notarized copy and for the rest its better that you do. I do not have a PIO but I did notarize my US passport copies before mailing to DC embassy. However I did not get Indian passport copies notarized (only self-attested) since I also sent in the original Indian passports. Of course rules may vary from consulate to consulate, the type of application and the individual processing the case; so please re-verify before you send.

Any one please?

Two things...

1. It took me less than 10 seconds to find the following on http://indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=175&partid=100&sub=sub6

Notes for PIO Card Holders

* Holders are required to surrender the PIO Card in order to receive an OCI Card.
* Holders must submit a notarized copy of the PIO Card with the OCI application.
* Holders are also required to surrender Indian passports in case of those holding valid ones. (The Indian passport will be canceled and sent back).
2. When there is already a NY tracker thread on this forum, what is the need to start a new one?

Last edited by a moderator:
An update - no acknowledgement yet. I'll try calling them on Wed or thursday at 2p as someone suggested.

I'll post when things change.

I called and talked to the embassy twice. Both times, they promised to look into why my application was not showing up in the system. The very next day (11/9), it arrived here by mail because they deemed it incomplete.

I did what they asked for and shipped it out on 11/10. They received it on 11/13, but to date, it still shows up as "unacknowledged". I guess I just have to wait for another two months!

how do we apply for oci

how do we apply we oci . I am searching for the link and failed find one .Could you please help me to get one please

Does anyone know if the Consulate is opened on Sat? and will they refund the $20 for mailing fee if we pickup at window?

Here is my time line

Application packet sent 15-OCT-2009
Date Of Acknowledgment 09-NOV-2009
Granted on 26-NOV-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned On1 2-NOV-2009
Documents Printed On 27-NOV-2009
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 30-NOV-2009
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI On 08-DEC-2009

Does anyone know if the Consulate is opened on Sat? and will they refund the $20 for mailing fee if we pickup at window?

Here is my time line

Application packet sent 15-OCT-2009
Date Of Acknowledgment 09-NOV-2009
Granted on 26-NOV-2009
Photo/Signature Scanned On1 2-NOV-2009
Documents Printed On 27-NOV-2009
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 30-NOV-2009
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI On 08-DEC-2009

They are closed Saturdays (see bottom of http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=89&parentid=0). Re. the refund of mailing fee, I doubt it.