OCI - New York Tracker

Is this right?...

The documents to send to get the OCI card:

(i) Cover Letter (with File No. and Reg No.)
(ii) Original US and Indian Passports , PIO card
(iii) USPS Envelope (Is this required?)
(iv) One $20 cashier cheque for entire family (4 of us)

anything else???

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother has applied for OCI card 10/8/08 in express mail but he lost that tracking number. When he checked online it says the "Application with this number not yet Acknowledged" that means they have not yet received it. Usually how many days will it took to update the status online? I tried calling them but not able to reach them.

Any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks

The 'Date Of Acknowledgment' will be apprx 3-4 weeks after the mailed date.

My brother has applied for OCI card 10/8/08 in express mail but he lost that tracking number. When he checked online it says the "Application with this number not yet Acknowledged" that means they have not yet received it. Usually how many days will it took to update the status online? I tried calling them but not able to reach them.

Any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks

document received at cgny today 11/6

(i) Cover Letter (with File No. and Reg No.) + Status Page printout
(iii) One $20 cashier cheque for document return - for entire family (4 of us)
(iv) Self Addressed USPS Envelope (Is this really required?)

anything else??? Please let me know.

(i) Cover Letter (with File No. and Reg No.) + Status Page printout
(iii) One $20 cashier cheque for document return - for entire family (4 of us)
(iv) Self Addressed USPS Envelope (Is this really required?)

anything else??? Please let me know.

(iv) is not required if you're sending $20 cheque. Everything else is perfect.

I dropped my passport on 10/30, I reached at 12:15 pm and was told that the OCI window is open between 9:30 and 11 am, he even showed me a print out, which I was told was from the website (however, I could not find it on the CGI NY website). On requesting him further, I was asked to submit the US passport on window no 4, however the officer there told me that i can submit but won't get on the same day. I was OK with that. I went on Monday 11/3 at 12:30 pm to collect it, and it took less than 10 minutes to get the stamped passport as well as the OCI booklet back.

Hope that will help someone in future.

Friends,

I am planning to apply for OCI for my family. Should I send individual cashier checks ($275 for me and my wife + $ 25 for the kid) or one cashier check for the whole family ($575)?

What have you observed in your experience?

Thank you for your help,
Sayam

I dropped my passport on 10/30, I reached at 12:15 pm and was told that the OCI window is open between 9:30 and 11 am, he even showed me a print out, which I was told was from the website (however, I could not find it on the CGI NY website). On requesting him further, I was asked to submit the US passport on window no 4, however the officer there told me that i can submit but won't get on the same day. I was OK with that. I went on Monday 11/3 at 12:30 pm to collect it, and it took less than 10 minutes to get the stamped passport as well as the OCI booklet back.

Hope that will help someone in future.

going2paris: If you had dropped off your passport before 11am, would they have then returned it to you with OCI visa and booklet the same day? Or are two trips to the consulate required?
Thanks.

Friends,

I am planning to apply for OCI for my family. Should I send individual cashier checks ($275 for me and my wife + $ 25 for the kid) or one cashier check for the whole family ($575)?

What have you observed in your experience?

Thank you for your help,
Sayam

Sayam: Yes, the fee can be consolidated in one cashier check/money order. The Indian Consulate website says, "The OCI fee for more than one applicants, including mailing fee, can be consolidated in to one certified check/money order.".

The 'Date Of Acknowledgment' will be apprx 3-4 weeks after the mailed date.

Thanks for your reply. Today We are able to see that his documents are received by CGINY and acknowleged on Nov 6th. We have another question. We have planned to visit india for our sister's marriage. When I check the timelines of others it shows total process it is taking 1 month 10+ days from the date of acknowledge. Our trip plan is on Dec 20. Will that be suffecient time to get U visa. Is there any way to speed up the process or do we again need to get visiting visa.

Thanks in adavce

OCI status granted but not printed - CGINY

I wonder whats keeping them. In other cases, they have managed to send out the documents to NY the next day. I guess, its a waiting game.

Ashin2, Rockingdrk

I am in a similar situation. OCI granted on Oct 22nd but not yet printed/dispatched.

Please let us know if you have received your documents now.

For me it took 1 month+5 days after acknowledgment, and so he may make it just in time. Anyway, ask him to go to NY and get the OCI/visa personally.

Thanks for your reply. Today We are able to see that his documents are received by CGINY and acknowleged on Nov 6th. We have another question. We have planned to visit india for our sister's marriage. When I check the timelines of others it shows total process it is taking 1 month 10+ days from the date of acknowledge. Our trip plan is on Dec 20. Will that be suffecient time to get U visa. Is there any way to speed up the process or do we again need to get visiting visa.

Thanks in adavce

Hi, My OCI application got accpeted and mailed to CGI NY on OCT-16-2008. I am interested in sending in my US Passport for stamping. I am planning to send the following:

i) Cover Letter (with File No. and Reg No.) + Status Page printout
(ii) Original US and Cancelled Indian Passports

when i applied for my application i sent a Money Order for USD 275 + USD 20 = USD 295. I am assuming that the USD20 was for returing my stamped Passport. Is that correct assumption?

Also do I still have to send a self-addressed envelop?

would appreciate the help.

thanks

-Krish

Hi, My OCI application got accpeted and mailed to CGI NY on OCT-16-2008. I am interested in sending in my US Passport for stamping. I am planning to send the following:

i) Cover Letter (with File No. and Reg No.) + Status Page printout
(ii) Original US and Cancelled Indian Passports

when i applied for my application i sent a Money Order for USD 275 + USD 20 = USD 295. I am assuming that the USD20 was for returing my stamped Passport. Is that correct assumption?

Also do I still have to send a self-addressed envelop?

would appreciate the help.

thanks

-Krish
You should be good. No need to send a self-addressed stamped envelope again.

vbharathi, udays21, Ashin2, Rockingdrk,

Please update on your cases. I think my wife's case stuck in similar status (granted but not dispatched), where as my son's and my case were ok.

vbharathi, udays21, Ashin2, Rockingdrk,

Please update on your cases. I think my wife's case stuck in similar status (granted but not dispatched), where as my son's and my case were ok.

Still no movement in my case. I contacted CGINY by email using the link in the Contact section of their site. Got a boilerplate reply after a week asking me to check the status online. Nothing pertaining to my specific case.

Someone in this forum had suggested emailing the Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs. I have sent an email there as well but have not heard back.

Will keep this forum posted.

The CGI NY website says 2 photos are needed. Is this in addition to 2 photos that needs to be pasted on each app?

i.e, do we need to get 2 photos or 4 photos in total or 6?

Below is status of my application. Has anyone around the same dates?

OCI Appl Mailed: Oct 27,2008
OCI App Received at CGNY: Oct 29,2008
OCI Acknowledged: Nov 19, 2008
Registration Status: Under Process
Documents Printing Status:
Documents Dispatched:
Documents Received at CGNY: