OCI - New York Tracker

Help please

After no response to all the phone messages and emails I left, I took the trip to NY yesterday and tried to find about the whereabouts of my application. It took them few minutes to look for my application, then at last they found it. Now why it was not processed from April was, because there was the application of my wife and she cannot apply because she is not from India and has no immediate from her family in India. I assumed that she is my wife and I am getting OCI, so she can get through me, but that doesn't work. My kids can get but not her, she can get PIO or other tourist visa. Ok so something new I learned which is not clear in the info on website. So the person said now change the money order for 3 people rather than 4 people, which I did. Now let's see how fast this process will go from July 9, 2008, officially application submitted. After all this drama, my biggest question was why nobody responded, even just one line through email would have saved all these months wasted for waiting since April 17. The answer I got was just a gentle smile, which I accepted with respect and meant a lot to me. Let me be clear the employee of CGINY was helpful and polite. Mera Bharat Mahaan

I sent my application on June 18th. After waiting for two weeks, I started calling the consulate and every time the recording said not enough space to leave a message. I sent 12 emails and finally some one called me. After getting my details, he told me that they never received our application. I went to the post office and they informed me that the letter was delivered on June 20th. Since then I have called numerous times but no response. We have our tickets to travel in Mid August
Naved...whom did you see when you went there last week. Will they accept another set of application from me personally with a new Bank Check.

Just applied for OCI last week. Timeline in Signature.

Mals, good to see you here...we are almost on same timeline.

mals and gvjagan: I am a month ahead of you guys...

I will update my time line as the necessary updates come through... Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent my application on June 18th. After waiting for two weeks, I started calling the consulate and every time the recording said not enough space to leave a message. I sent 12 emails and finally some one called me. After getting my details, he told me that they never received our application. I went to the post office and they informed me that the letter was delivered on June 20th. Since then I have called numerous times but no response. We have our tickets to travel in Mid August
Naved...whom did you see when you went there last week. Will they accept another set of application from me personally with a new Bank Check.

I am sorry to reply so late as I didn't check the forum. I hope you made some progress in your process, if not my guess is there may be something missing with your application and it must be sitting in this department. Like in my case no one replied for the phone calls I made. I had to take the trip to CGNY and it did work out. You just go down to the basement in that building and go to window 3 (which is dealing OCI issues), they open from 9am to 11am, I guess. Make sure you have your OCI registration number from the application you sent. They will track it and I don't see any reason to send another application with another money order, because it may end up the same way if something is missing. Good luck.

I had asked these questions in another thread, but wanted more input from other people:
1. I think I have misplaced my indian passport. When I send for my OCI sticker, is it necessary to have the INdian passport cancelled or is it just recommended.
2. Since I am in a hurry to go back to India, can I mail my US passport as soon as it shows online that OCI documents have been dispatched from India?

Thanks

I had asked these questions in another thread, but wanted more input from other people:
1. I think I have misplaced my indian passport. When I send for my OCI sticker, is it necessary to have the INdian passport cancelled or is it just recommended.
2. Since I am in a hurry to go back to India, can I mail my US passport as soon as it shows online that OCI documents have been dispatched from India?

Thanks

Re. 1: I got my US citizenship in 1999 and, as far as I remember, never got my Indian passport canceled. A few months ago, when I was applying for OCI, I couldn't find my last Indian passport, but the one previous to that I did find. I used a copy of the latter with the OCI application. My OCI process completed successfully without having to send Indian passport for cancellation. I have been to India 5-6 times since then and never had any problem getting in and out.

Re. 2, my recommendation is to keep everything ready and express mail it to the consulate on the day you see status change to 'received at <consulate city>' and it will arrive there next morning (check for post offices staying open late in your city, in case your local post office has closed by that time - they will guarantee next day AM delivery if received by xyz PM, with xyz being 7 or 8 pm, etc.). My fear is if you send it too soon, they might file them away and when your batch comes in, might get busy with responding to newly arriving US passports and not get to yours immediately.

Thank you akgarg for your detailed answers.... ya I think I will mail my us passport only after it shows that it has reached ny consulate. Do you think they will hurry things up if I send my itinerary?

Thank you akgarg for your detailed answers.... ya I think I will mail my us passport only after it shows that it has reached ny consulate. Do you think they will hurry things up if I send my itinerary?

Yes, that may be a good idea.

Hi gvjagan. I mailed my wife's application to NYC on the 10th but dont see any updates. I wanted to make sure that you are checking the status using the number they give you when you first fill the application online? Something like USANI#######.
Hope I see something this week. I didnt see any update from Mals also who seem to have applied in the same timeline
See signature. All 4 applications acknowledged.

okay... this is a little weird...

It shows online for me that my Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI on 02-AUG-2008.

But today is 1st Aug...

Still gladly mailed my US Passport, hope to receive OCI within a week and then off to India!

Hi takshila1 - I have very similar timelines to yours....Really appreciate if you add to your signature the time taken to get the OCI booklet from the CGINY ( unless you went there in person :)