Application Mailed - 09/10/2007
App'n received by CGI NY - ??
Application acknowledged on - 10/01/2007
Photo/Signature Scanned on - 10/09/2007
Registration Granted on - 10/10/2007
Documents Printed on - 10/14/2007
Documents Dispatched on - 10/17/2007
Documents Received at CGI NY on - 10/22/2007
OCI Printed on Passport - 10/24/2007. Dropped passports at 10:30 and collected them at 12:30.

Application received by CGI NY - 09/27/2007
Application acknowledged on - 10/11/2007
Photo/Signature Scanned on -10/19/2007
Registration Granted on - 10/24/2007
Documents Printed on - 24-OCT-2007
Documents Dispatched on - 30-OCT-2007
Documents Received at CGI NY on - 02-NOV-2007 (IST)
Personally went to NY Consulate on 02-NOV-2007(EDT) and got OCI Visa and Card
Thanks,
-dnagraj

Status update.

Date Mailed: 9/26/07
Date Recd@ Embassy: 9/28/2007
Acknowledged on : 10/18/2007
Photo/Sign Scanned : SCANNED 10/26/2007
Registration Status : GRANTED 10/31/2007
Documents Printing Status : PRINTED 11/2/2007
Documents Despatched From Delhi On : Not yet
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI : Not yet

Documents are dispatched from Delhi but not received at NY CGI. I am hoping they will receive it in day or two. I am planning to go in person to get it stamped. Once online status shows that documents have been received, do I have to wait for their call before I go there? I am planning to travel soon and so want to get it stamped as soon as I can. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Date Mailed: 9/26/07
Date Recd@ Embassy: 9/28/2007
Acknowledged on : 10/18/2007
Photo/Sign Scanned : SCANNED 10/26/2007
Registration Status : GRANTED 10/31/2007
Documents Printing Status : PRINTED 11/2/2007
Documents Dispatched From Delhi On : 11/6/2007
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI : Not yet

Last edited by a moderator:
They won't be calling you or sending you any kind of notice saying that the OCI is ready to be picked up. Once the online status says that the documents have been received at NY you should be able to go to the consulate the very next day (or same day if you see the online status update early enough in the day) to collect the OCI. Be sure to take a printout of the online status page, US passport and Indian passport (if you need it canceled).

-KM

In Process for a week..

My OCI application has been in process for a week. I noticed that most applications are being granted in 2-3 days.
Should I be concerned yet? How will I know if there is a problem with the application? Calling the consulate has been of no use- either they don't pick up or they hang up on me.

Date Mailed: 10/18/2007
Date Received at Consulate: 10/22/2007
Acknowledged on : 11/05/2007
Photo/Sign Scanned : SCANNED 11/07/2007
Registration Status : NOT YET
Documents Printing Status : NOT YET
Documents Dispatched From Delhi On : NOT YET
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI : NOT YET

They won't be calling you or sending you any kind of notice saying that the OCI is ready to be picked up. Once the online status says that the documents have been received at NY you should be able to go to the consulate the very next day (or same day if you see the online status update early enough in the day) to collect the OCI. Be sure to take a printout of the online status page, US passport and Indian passport (if you need it canceled).

-KM

Thanks. My status has been updated and I will visit consulate on Monday for stamping.

Question on Notarization and photograph

I'm just getting ready to send the OCI application to CGI NY. A couple of questions to the experts:

I will be sending 2 copies of 3 sheets each (Part A and B together). Along with this, do I need to send two sets of notarized copies of both US and Indian Passports? Is this correct? In which case, should both sets of PP copies (US and Indian PP) be notarized?

How many photographs in total?
Is it just 2 photographs which has to be pasted on the space provided (1 photograph each on page 1 of Part A)?

I previously remember reading in this forum, that each page of Part A and B should be self attested as well. Is this still true? In such a case, I don't see this being mentioned in OCI instructructions as well as instructions on CGI NY. Can some one please clarify?

Thanks!

I will be sending 2 copies of 3 sheets each (Part A and B together). Along with this, do I need to send two sets of notarized copies of both US and Indian Passports? Is this correct? In which case, should both sets of PP copies (US and Indian PP) be notarized?

Yes you need two sets of documents as well. Self-attesting the documents has worked for a lot of people and so you may want to save yourself the cost of getting them notarized.

How many photographs in total?
Is it just 2 photographs which has to be pasted on the space provided (1 photograph each on page 1 of Part A)?

3 photographs in total - 2 affixed to the forms and 1 additional copy.

I previously remember reading in this forum, that each page of Part A and B should be self attested as well. Is this still true? In such a case, I don't see this being mentioned in OCI instructructions as well as instructions on CGI NY. Can some one please clarify?

That doesn't make sense. You just have to sign in the space provided on the forms but the forms themselves don't have to be self-attested. The self-attestation is just to declare that the copy in question is a true and correct copy of the original document. And so it is needed only for documents (such as passport) where you are not enclosing the original.

-KM

Thank you, kagemusha.

So, from what you're saying, the US and Indian PP copies need not be notarized by a Notary! Wow.. that does save me a lot of trouble looking for a notary in the area. Just self attesting all the PP copies (i.e. all pages that were required to be copied), serves the purpose for CGI NY? OK .. in that case, is there any particular literature when some one self attests the copy? Does this suffice?

I attest that this is a true copy
(signature)

Name of the person signing
Date

Just summarizing, so I don't leave anything out in the packet that goes in the mail tomorrow to CGINY:

2 sets of Part A and B - Filled and signed (this need not be self-attested)
2 sets of Indian and US PPs (self attested, need not be notarized by a Notary)
A MO for $275 in favor of "Consulate General of India, NewYork"
1 photgraph each affixed on the space provided on Part A
And a Additional photograph clipped to the set. (which makes it 3 in total)

Can some one who got their OCI from CGI NY recently, please confirm this is all is needed?

Thank you!

Thank you, kagemusha.

So, from what you're saying, the US and Indian PP copies need not be notarized by a Notary! Wow.. that does save me a lot of trouble looking for a notary in the area. Just self attesting all the PP copies (i.e. all pages that were required to be copied), serves the purpose for CGI NY? OK .. in that case, is there any particular literature when some one self attests the copy? Does this suffice?

Self-attestation worked for me. I think some people who simply sent copies without any attestation of any kind also got their OCI granted and so I don't think CGI NY is very strict about this. In my case I tried to get the documents notarized but gave up and went with self-attestion when the notary would not accept any documents issued by foreign governments (my Indian passport). Other people have had better luck but why spend the $$ when self-attestation works just as well ?

I attest that this is a true copy
(signature)

Name of the person signing
Date

Yes, that should be it.

Just summarizing, so I don't leave anything out in the packet that goes in the mail tomorrow to CGINY:

2 sets of Part A and B - Filled and signed (this need not be self-attested)
2 sets of Indian and US PPs (self attested, need not be notarized by a Notary)
A MO for $275 in favor of "Consulate General of India, NewYork"
1 photgraph each affixed on the space provided on Part A
And a Additional photograph clipped to the set. (which makes it 3 in total)

Can some one who got their OCI from CGI NY recently, please confirm this is all is needed?

I got my OCI back in September. From what I recall that should be it in terms of what you need to send.

-KM

OCI Status

Thank you Kagemusha for your response.

My OCI Status:

Application received by CGI NY - 11/30/2007
Date of Acknowledgement: 12/18/2007
Photo/Sign Scanned : 12/19/2007
Registration Status : GRANTED on 12/22/2007
Documents Printing Status : PRINTED on 12/22/2007
Documents Dispatched From Delhi On : 12/24/2007
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI : 01/03/2008
Stamped at NY CGI : ?

Thank you Kagemusha for your response.

My OCI Status:

Documents Dispatched From Delhi On : NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI : NOT YET

Wow that's a pretty quick approval. It looks like an OCI app filed with CGI SF takes around 2-3 months. I filed my application with CGISF on Dec 6 and haven't gotten an acknowledgement yet.

My son's OCI -

12/01 - Mailed app
12/03 - Recvd by CGINY
12/20 - Ack
12/22 - Scanned
12/28 - Granted/Printed
01/01 - Dispatched from Delhi
01/03 - Received at CGINY
01/04 - Mailed passports to CGINY
01/12 - Received OCI booklet and passport with OCI stamp.

Documents received at NY CGI

Online enquiry shows my OCI docs were received at NY.

I'm planning to visit the Consualte to get my OCI docs.
My Indian PP was cancelled previously.
Do I take both my Indian PP and US PP there?

Documents Dispatched From Delhi On : 12/24/2007
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI : 01/03/2008
Stamped at NY CGI : ?