Application Sent - 08/10/07
Application received by CGI NY - 08/13/07
Application acknowledged on - 08/28/07
Photo/Signature Scanned - 08/31/2007
Registration Status Granted - 09/07/2007
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 09/10/2007
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 09/14/2007

I went to CGI NY today and collected my OCI. I also got my Indian passport canceled at the same time. I was there around 10 am and it took me a while (almost half an hour) just to drop off my passports. They asked me to come back at 12:30 to collect my passports and that part went smoothly. The consulate is pretty cramped and things are a disorganized mess there as you might expect. But all things considered I would still say that getting my OCI was a relatively quick and painless process.

I can finally say I am all done with my immigration journey once and for all :cool:

-KM

Last edited by a moderator:
Photo Scanned today :)

Application Received: 8/21/07
Application Acknowledged: 9/7/07
Photo Scanned: 9/14/07

Whew, I thought there was a problem with my application. Maybe they process applications in batches. Applications received later for that batch end up on top and get updated earlier maybe? Anyway, anticipating my journey will also be soon over.

My application was received at NY on August 21, and was acknowledged on September 7, yet I do not see any Photo/Signature Scanned field on the enquiry web page. People whose application was received later than mine seem to be in better shape.

I wonder if this indicates a problem with my application, or with the photographs sent with the application. Has anyone had any success reaching the OCI cell (phone number is 212-774-0605)? It just rings and rings, and no one picks up.

Congrats ! and farewell :)

I went to CGI NY today and collected my OCI. I also got my Indian passport canceled at the same time. I was there around 10 am and it took me a while (almost half an hour) just to drop off my passports. They asked me to come back at 12:30 to collect my passports and that part went smoothly. The consulate is pretty cramped and things are a disorganized mess there as you might expect. But all things considered I would still say that getting my OCI was a relatively quick and painless process.

I can finally say I am all done with my immigration journey once and for all :cool:

-KM

Congrats ! and farewell :)

Thanks dandan123 ! Just because I am done doesn't mean I am going anywhere. I hope to stick around on this forum and post responses whenever I can (maybe not as frequently as before) if I think I can be of any help to other forum members.

-KM

Yes, I know what you mean.

During my GC process I used to log on here everyday for a couple of years and during the process made many friends, after I got my GC I hung around for a while answering questions but gradually over a period of time I stopped logging in, it wasn't a conscious decision it just happened.

-KM

Congrats and Thanks for posting your experience at NY Consulate.

-Thanks

If any of you plan to go to CGI NY to collect your OCI in person, here are a few tips that might help

1) When you enter the consulate you will see two rooms one on the left for passport services and one on the right for visa services. For some reason they decided to group OCI with passport services and not visa services and so you will need to go to the room on the left.

2) Most people have to pick up a token (instead of a token dispenser they have an actual person handing out the tokens) and wait their turn. Again for some reason OCI applicants are not issued tokens. They can go directly to counter #7 which is reserved for OCI applicants. The fact that you may not find anyone at counter #7 is a different matter (I had to wait almost half an hour for someone to show up !).

3) Be sure to take a printout of the status page because you will be asked for your application number which is not the same as the registration number. You need to drop off your US passport and Indian passport (the latter is not mandatory). You will be asked to come back at 12:30 pm to pick them up. You have to pick up the passports at the exact same place (counter 7) where you dropped them off.

Hopefully this will save you a bit of time and aggravation.

-KM

Registration Granted

OCI Application received at Consulate: 8/21
Acknowledged: 9/7
Scanned: 9/14
Registration Granted: 9/17

Final OCI Status Update:
-----------------------------------------
Application Sent - 08/14/07
Application received by CGI NY - 08/16/07
Application acknowledged on - 08/30/07
Registration Status Granted On 07-SEP-2007
Photo/Signature Scanned On 04-SEP-2007
Documents Printed On 12-SEP-2007
Documents Despatched From Delhi On 14-SEP-2007
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI On 18-SEP-2007

Almost there

Looks like I will be done within a week.

Documents Printed: 9/20
Documents Dispatched: Not Yet
Documents Received at NY: Not yet

Dispatched today

Documents dispatched today: 9/24
Documents received at NY: NOT YET

I plan to collect this in person. My journey should end this week.

Looks like I will be done within a week.

Documents Printed: 9/20
Documents Dispatched: Not Yet
Documents Received at NY: Not yet

Help!!! - OCI Application Returned.

Our OCI application was returned because I didn't have my old Indian passports copies. I became Canadian Citizen in 1989. Either I have lost my old expired passport or I was asked to surrender it during my visit to India. It has been almost 18 years and I just don't remember what happened. Bottom line is I don't have the old passport or copies of it.

I submitted my birth certificate certified by the Thasildhar, my schoool/college certificates and my marriage certtificate (all from India). My Canadian passport and my US Green card states that I was born in India. Still my application was returned.

Is there anybody here who had similar experience. Any advice will be immensely appreicated. Thank you.

Application received - 8/31/07
Ack - 9/17/07
Photo/Sig scanned - 9/20/07
Granted - 9/26/07
Printed - 9/26/07

Documents Dispatched on 25-SEP-2007

Date Of Acknowledgment: 12-SEP-2007
Photo/Signature Scanned On 14-SEP-2007
Registration Status Granted on 22-SEP-2007
Documents Printed On 22-SEP-2007
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on: 25-SEP-2007
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI : 04-OCT-2007 (even though today is 3-oct-07)

Application Sent today

After delay of 2 weeks, finally today I finished all steps and sent my application to NY consulate by priority mail. Thanks for all posters on this board who helped me answer questions.

Date Mailed: 9/26/07
Date Recd@ Embassy:
Acknowledged on :
Photo/Sign Scanned :
Registration Status :
Documents Printing Status :
Documents Despatched From Delhi On :
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI :

(3) Applications Received by CGI-NY - 9/2
Ack on: 9/19, 9/20

Still waiting for photo and signature scans. It seems that mine is taking longer than other applications on this forum.