OCI - New York Tracker

Hello,
I am planning to send my wife's OCI application next week to NY center. I read through the instructions that the photo should have light ackgroud other than white, now where do i get that since most of the places here it is either white or dark blue.

Walmart, Sears or any place/studio that does photographs. Go for a passport photo with a light blue background. It will cost 5 bucks more now, but the peace of mind - priceless.

Also only 2 photos (one on each form) is required?

That would be correct.

The instructions does not require us to send original US passport whereas wesite says Original US passport needs to be sent right at the begining of the aplication, now what is true?

Look for the instructions here:

https://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/oci/display-requirements

You have to submit the US or foreign passport at the beginning of the application or they will return your application back to you.

If possible, drop off your OCI application and pick up your OCI/passport in-person. Will save you some time.

what I find funny in the requirements is this message under the Naturalization Certificate category:

If you are a former Indian national, a copy of your Naturalization Certificate is required. If a minor gained naturalization through his/her parents and possesses no separate naturalization certificate then a notarized written statement signed by both parents is required stating the circumstances that their child received his/her naturalization status and why the child does not possess his/her own certificate.

Finally, they changed the website and updated it. But the funny thing is why do they need a reason for a child not having his/her OWN naturalization certificate. From what I gather, it costs about $600.00 extra for N-400, which is why most parents avoid getting one. A valid US passport alone is a good proof of US citizenship. You only need one parent's Naturalization certificate in order to get a child his/her citizenship. But these idiots require both parents written explanation and that too notarized as if US Government issued a fake govt document to the child/parents.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a buch for prompt reply.

What about returning of the US passport, since website says to pick up in person or sedning a prepaid airbill (airbill with credit card is not accepted). I went to fedex and they only provide airbill with credit card number and prepaid is issued to account holders only which I am not. So will I have to go inperson to NY to pick up the passport?

Thanks a buch for prompt reply.

What about returning of the US passport, since website says to pick up in person or sedning a prepaid airbill (airbill with credit card is not accepted). I went to fedex and they only provide airbill with credit card number and prepaid is issued to account holders only which I am not. So will I have to go inperson to NY to pick up the passport?

You don't have to go in person to NY.

You can create a FedEx account at Fedex.com in under 5 mins. Then use that account # on the FedEx way bill.

Alternatively, you can get a USPS express or priority mail, pre paid mailing envelope from the post office.

My OCI documents are received at NY consulate. I am planning to pick them up next week in person.

03/13/2011 3:52pm EST Service order form completed online
03/30/2011 2:57pm EST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
04/05/2011 8:33am EST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate (Travisa sent documents to consulate, even though there was a missing document)
04/05/2011 10:46am EST Documents received by Consulate
04/05/2011 2:21pm EST Application is pending.
04/14/2011 3:41pm EST Travisa Outsourcing has matched up your documents, and we are preparing your application to go to the Consulate shortly.
04/20/2011 3:10pm EST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
04/21/2011 9:10am EST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate (Sent to Consulate 2nd time)
04/21/2011 10:28am EST Documents received by Consulate
04/26/2011 2:00pm EST Pending approval of the Government of India
04/26/2011 Photos Scanned
04/27/2011 Status Granted
05/23/2011 Documents Printed
05/25/2011 Documents Dispatched to concerned mission/office
05/28/2011 Document Received at NY Consulate

cafeconleche,
Did Consulate processed your renounciation application ?

In my renounciation application after not seeing any update for 5 weeks , last week on Thursday I applied for the tourist visa in person at Travisa NY and attached the status print out of my renounciation application from Travisa Website. I did the same for my wife also. Friday I got the email update that my renounciation application has been processed and later in the day I got the email from Travisa that my indian passport has been sent back to me. Then in the evening I got the email from Travisa that my visa has been processed and I can come and pick my passport. Yesterday evening I went to Travisa and picked up mine and my wife passport. I just applied for the 10 year tourist visa . I dont think I want to deal with Travisa/consulate any time soon. I am going for wait for OCI may be apply next year.

I dont think I want to deal with Travisa/consulate any time soon. I am going for wait for OCI may be apply next year.

Rajiv,
We all know we have to go through lot of frustration through this process. Starting from June 15, you don't have to send the original US passport with OCI application. I would suggest you send the OCI application after june 15 and let it keep processing. Since you already have the visa and you are willing to wait for an year, you can send the application and ignore it for a few months and get done with it. Just my thought.

rajiv, thanks for the update. They had rejected my application on 5/2 saying I had not attached my most recent passports. Idiots. AND, Travisa said they'd emailed me, WHICH THEY DIDN'T. So I had to call a week and a half ago, sit on hold for 30 hours and found this out. I explained that though my passport expired in 05, I had never needed it to travel and that I didn't realise it had expired. I was asked to write a letter explaining the circumstances, have it notarised, and fax it to Travisa, after which they resent the application (but only after I called 3 days later to ask if they had received my letter- they hadn't even checked!). So now, it says pending Indian govt. approval. I don't know what that means, but it's bull**** since I'm just renouncing my damn citizenship WHICH I HAVE ALREADY LOST! WHAT APPROVAL?

cafeconleche,
Insterestingly my renounciation application had the same status on last Thursday morning when I went to drop my VISA application and I was concerned that Travisa may not accept my visa application or consulate might reject my application. But they processed my renounciation application first and then my VISA application.
My guess is that this status "pending Indian govt. approval" is just another status where consulate can sit on the application for as long as they want. If I had not applied for my VISA last week then my renounciation application would be sitting in the same status.
Couple of weeks ago one of my friend applied for his wife VISA and renounciation togethor. Next day he got the email that both application has been processed. He picked the cancelled indian passport, renounciation certificate and US passport with visa next day.

Rajiv,
We all know we have to go through lot of frustration through this process. Starting from June 15, you don't have to send the original US passport with OCI application. I would suggest you send the OCI application after june 15 and let it keep processing. Since you already have the visa and you are willing to wait for an year, you can send the application and ignore it for a few months and get done with it. Just my thought.

Do we know what happens to the OCI applications for which the consulates already has passports?. Can we ask them to send the passports back and this can be resent when the original OCI application is approved.

Vivek

Do we know what happens to the OCI applications for which the consulates already has passports?. Can we ask them to send the passports back and this can be resent when the original OCI application is approved.

Vivek

There were some posts in the below thread saying that Travisa is allowing them to take the passports without cancelling the OCI process. But seems like nobody has done this so far.

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?324461-Travel-to-India-While-OCI-Pending

Hi,
Glad to inform you that approved documents are received by Travisa and my passports have been mailed out today and I hope to receive them by Tomorrow. See below for the timeline.

03/30/2011 2:57pm EST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
04/05/2011 8:33am EST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate (Travisa sent documents to consulate, even though there was a missing document)
04/14/2011 3:41pm EST Travisa Outsourcing has matched up your documents, and we are preparing your application to go to the Consulate shortly.
04/21/2011 9:10am EST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate (Sent to Consulate 2nd time)
05/28/2011 Documents Received at NYC consulate
06/01/2011 Outsourcing office has verified the OCI is processed correctly.
06/02/2011 Passports mailed out

cafeconleche,
I think at this time you better off just applying for the OCI and attached the renounciation application status printout with the application. After june 15th you do not need to submit the original passport with your OCI application.
You can try calling the Travisa and Consulate probably you will get a different answer and may not get the right information.

rajiv, I don't really intend to go to India. I'm not that close to family there, hence I have never gone since 1998. I will call them later or tomorrow maybe and ask why they need approval to cut me loose.

Hi,
Glad to inform you that approved documents are received by Travisa and my passports have been mailed out today and I hope to receive them by Tomorrow. See below for the timeline.

05/28/2011 Documents Received at NYC consulate
06/01/2011 Outsourcing office has verified the OCI is processed correctly.
06/02/2011 Passports mailed out
Thanks Samm174. It seems to be faster from the date of printing.

Mine is still showing granted status and going by your timelines I will get my passport around June 18th. Anyway I have to cancel our tickets for 9th (losing a lot of money) and rebook them :-(.

-----------------------------------------------
My Timelines:
Photo/Signature Scanned On 11-MAY-2011
Registration Status Granted On 12-MAY-2011

saw 2 case printed for sfo on 6/1 . last time NY happened after sfo in printing cycle so may be tomorrow is the day ... NY cases around end of April/First week of May were processed last time. So you should get it in this cycle. Me too if i am lucky.... ATB..