OCI - New York Tracker

Chances are extremely low of getting OCI in 40 days, my friend made that mistake - didn't get OCI in time and had to get Entry visa at the last moment. Instead just get PIO, and then upgrade to OCI for just $25, and you'll have all the time in the world to apply for OCI.

Well the difference this time is that the processing of the submitted OCI docs application will be handled by Travisa. You can definitely expect them to do that much much faster than the consulate which would take over a month just to open and review your submission. Assuming Travisa does this within a few business days of receiving the submission (and that your submission is complete in all respects), this will cut so much time in the processing. As long as the CGI babus don't get lazy about scanning the photos and signatures.

Any e-mails from CGI-NY for OCI apps

Hello:
Just wondering if anybody has recvd any email ack'ing the receipt of OCI application? Mine was delivered on 1/28/2011. But no news yet..

--------------------------

OCI Mailed 01/27/2011
Delivered 01/28/2011

Can we still collect in person

I see on the NY Consulate website that the information has changed...it no longer says anything about collecting OCI docs in person - has anyone tried doing this in the last few days? I cannot risk sending the passports by mail as we have to travel in a few weeks' time and if there are any delays, I will be stuck without passports.

I see on the NY Consulate website that the information has changed...it no longer says anything about collecting OCI docs in person - has anyone tried doing this in the last few days? I cannot risk sending the passports by mail as we have to travel in a few weeks' time and if there are any delays, I will be stuck without passports.

Check this link. The second bullet is about collecting OCI in person. I am going tomorrow to collect mine.

http://indiacgny.org/php/showContent.php?linkid=177&partid=100&sub=sub6

I got our OCI cards and Visa stickers on our US passports yesterday. It paid off going in person there. The consulate people put my wife's visa sticker on my son's passport and son's visa sticker on my wife's passport. I checked it right there and they corrected it. I think they just removed the visa stickers and pasted them back on the correct passport. This completes my OCI journey. Thanks a lot to everyone here , who posted useful suggestions. This website is serving the community very well. Thanks everyone again. I will keep on visiting the site and will post messages where ever I can.

I got our OCI cards and Visa stickers on our US passports yesterday. It paid off going in person there. The consulate people put my wife's visa sticker on my son's passport and son's visa sticker on my wife's passport. I checked it right there and they corrected it. I think they just removed the visa stickers and pasted them back on the correct passport. This completes my OCI journey. Thanks a lot to everyone here , who posted useful suggestions. This website is serving the community very well. Thanks everyone again. I will keep on visiting the site and will post messages where ever I can.

congrats.
did you get your SC also ? they ddi not send my SC with my OCI.

congrats.
did you get your SC also ? they ddi not send my SC with my OCI.

I did this a two step process and got the passports cancelled and the surrender certifcate first, and then start the OCI process. I took my SC with me, but they just aked for Cancelled Indian passports, which they returned after looking in the morning itself.

Finally got my wife and son's passport stamped and OCI cards. Sent passports my mail on Monday (2/14) and received them back today (2/18)!

FYI - for those who have lost their Indian passports, there is no need to get a police report, apply for SC/cancellation or anything special for NY consulate. Just write up a sworn affidavit and get it notorized. I did that and sent for both the OCI application and also when collecting the cards, had no problems. Of course things might have changed, now that Travisa is collecting the paperwork. My wife had also lost her naturalization certificate along with the old Indian passport and she did not have to submit that, but now seems like it is required with Travisa.

Any e-mails from CGI-NY for OCI apps

Hello:
Just wondering if anybody has recvd any email ack'ing the receipt of OCI application? Mine was delivered on 1/28/2011. But no news yet..

--------------------------

OCI Mailed 01/27/2011
Delivered 01/28/2011

I applied for the OCI for my wife on Jan 31 and we have not recieved an email acknowledging the reciept of the OCI application too. I guess just keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.

Vivek

Guys i have a weird problem with Travisa and i believe they are trying to make money out of the whole renunciation mess.

i had applied for an Indian Tourist visa with Travisa back in '09 and part of the requirement for the visa(first time visa), we are supposed to renounce the indian citizenship and i did and got my passport cancelled.

At that time, they did not have the bottom portion of renunciation for us to keep and they didnt write "cancelled, acquired US citizenship".

I applied for OCI yesterday thru Travisa and now they rejected it saying i did not

1. included my renunciation form
2. paid $250 fine for not cancelling/ surrendering my indian passport.

When i called them up they are like "its not our problem and you need to take it up to the consulate or pay up the fees "

What do you guys think ?

Guys i have a weird problem with Travisa and i believe they are trying to make money out of the whole renunciation mess.

i had applied for an Indian Tourist visa with Travisa back in '09 and part of the requirement for the visa(first time visa), we are supposed to renounce the indian citizenship and i did and got my passport cancelled.

At that time, they did not have the bottom portion of renunciation for us to keep and they didnt write "cancelled, acquired US citizenship".

I applied for OCI yesterday thru Travisa and now they rejected it saying i did not

When i called them up they are like "its not our problem and you need to take it up to the consulate or pay up the fees "

What do you guys think ?

So are you saying your passport got cancelled at that time but the stamp cancelling was the one which just said "Cancelled" instead of "Cancelled due to holder acquiring US citizenship"? As long as your passport was cancelled, you should be fine and need to point out to them that the passport was cancelled and is stamped as such.

OCI App Mailed 29th Jan,11 to CGNY
OCI Application Recvd. at CGNY 1st Feb,11
Still waiting for Ack! :(

Does any one know if for OCI Misc Services (Application for updating OCI with new passport particulars) the process is same as for applying for OCI the first time i.e it the docs gets approved and printed in India before they are sent back to CGNY?

Also Does any one has any idea on what are the current processing time at CGNY for application received before 4th Feb,11 considering that CGNY is no more handling OCI applications since then? I assume that delays should get shortened because of lesser load....or may be it is just my wishful thinking

Last edited by a moderator:
Waiting acknowledgment from CGI NewYork

OCI App Mailed 29th Jan,11 to CGNY
OCI Application Recvd. at CGNY 1st Feb,11
Still waiting for Ack! :(

Does any one know if for OCI Misc Services (Application for updating OCI with new passport particulars) the process is same as for applying for OCI the first time i.e it the docs gets approved and printed in India before they are sent back to CGNY?

Also Does any one has any idea on what are the current processing time at CGNY for application received before 4th Feb,11 considering that CGNY is no more handling OCI applications since then? I assume that delays should get shortened because of lesser load....or may be it is just my wishful thinking

My wife has applied on Jan 29 too and her application reached the consulate on Jan 31. She has not recieved her acknowledgement so far. On the other hand, I know of people whose application reached the consulate on Jan 18 and they already have recieved their OCI cards. Dont know the pattern here. I was expecting that since the consulate was not accepting any applications from Feb 4 thru Feb 15 they would clear all the pending applications but that does not look to be the case.

Vivek

JP,
That is exactly what happened with my son's OCI application. Prior to this renunciation mess, every Indian passport had a "Cancelled" stamp only instead of the Cancelled due to holder acquiring US citizenship" stamp. My son's application was solely rejected on the basis that fathers Indian passport needs to be cancelled.
I think that now you have to invariably get a surrender certificate and the new stamp for any future dealings with these idiots. This is atleast my assessment.
Vivek

Originally Posted by shahgk

What do you guys think ?

So are you saying your passport got cancelled at that time but the stamp cancelling was the one which just said "Cancelled" instead of "Cancelled due to holder acquiring US citizenship"? As long as your passport was cancelled, you should be fine and need to point out to them that the passport was cancelled and is stamped as such.

Yes, My passport is stamped with "Cancelled" all over but not the exact "Cancelled due to holder acquiring US citizenship". Based on that, Travisa is rejecting my application and asking for the $250 fine.

I did replied to their email stating that i processed the Tourist Visa thru Travisa and highlighted the requirement which clearly says that i must renounce my indian citizenship for applying the visa, i even forwarded the original visa application form i submitted along with the Visa copy issued to me.

Its been two days since i replied to them and no reponse yet, thinking about going to the Cosulate on Tuesday(March 1st) and talk to them about the mess.

Travisa info

shagk and Vivek, both of you need to present the argument that you both had correctly followed the process to cancel your Indian passports at the time when you had become US citizens. If I was in your positions, that is exactly what I would do. It makes absolutely no sense for a new surrender certificate to be created when you already have the Indian passport that has been cancelled.

This is from the Travisa site:

After acquisition of foreign citizenship, an Indian passport cannot be used for travel after three months of the naturalization date. If the Indian passport expires on or after Jan 1, 2005, and the Indian passport is not surrendered beyond three years after the naturalization date, a penalty of $250.00 will be charged. In addition, a penalty of $250.00 will be charged in each case of misuse of the Indian passport for travel after three months of acquisition of foreign citizenship, which may go up to $1250.00 total.

shahgk, you should be able to argue against the fine based on this info above.