OCI - New York Tracker

I had submitted original OCI application with passport cancellation request on August 23rd, 2010.
They returned the application with a note saying that my name did not tally and sought 'Name change petition from US Authorities' on September 29th.
I returned the application on October 18th with additional docs and copy of old GC and that there had never been a change of name.
Nothing happened till middle of December. Nobody picked up the phones!
I sent an email to Consul General and Consul OCI from one of the links which lists
all the phone numbers and links to e-mails. Regular e-mails don't help at all.
One person called on December 18th. I explained that I had not changed my name at all.
Then nothing till January 14th. After January 14th, the process was quick.
PS. I am unable to put any URLs, due to the 15 posts or more restriction

Photo/Signature Scanned On 14-JAN-2011
Registration Status Granted On 19-JAN-2011
Documents Printing Status PRINTED
Documents Printed On 20-JAN-2011
Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on 21-JAN-2011
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI On 25-JAN-2011

Congratulations Goanboy.. Looks like the most wait is till the application is acknowleged, after that it seems moving fast.

I sent a email to New york consulate several weeks back to find out if I need a surrender certificate if my passport has the 'cancelled' stamp on it and got a reply stating that no surrender certifcate is required. The cancelled stamp on the passport is proof that you cancelled your indian citizenship. They probably aren't looking at the documents correctly.

JP
Thanks for the information. I am preparing to apply for my wife's OCI and will be applying for my son's PIO. I dont think I want to apply my son's OCI until I get my surrender certificate back from CGI NY even though my passport has been cancelled.

I wanted to know if parents who have acquired USA citizenship and have their Indian passport cancelled can apply for PIO for their son. I was told that if the parents are USA citizens then they only can apply for OCI for their children.

Your response will be appreciated.

Thanks
Vivek

It took a little more than 2 months as advertised.

OCI Application Mailed - 26-NOV-2010
Acknowledged by Consulate - 07-DEC-2010
Date of Acknowledgment - 14-JAN-2011
Photo/Signature Scanned - 14-JAN-2011
Granted - 25-JAN-2011
Documents Printed On - 27-JAN-2011
Documents Dispatched - 31-JAN-2011
Documents Received at NEW YORK CGI - 04-FEB-2011

Also I had sent the OCI application and Passport renunciation application together in one envelope.
To get back the canceled passport, it took about 5 weeks (instead of ordinarily 2 weeks). But other than that delay there was no issue.
All the best to all who are waiting.

Vivek,

Any particular reason for applying PIO and not OCI for son.

For others update

OCI email from Ny CGI : Dec 7th 2011
Acknowledgment : Jan 20
Granted : Jan 27
Printed : Jan 31st
dispatched to NY CGI on Feb 2nd.

Regards

At123

Any Recent Experience in getting the OCI Cards in Person in NYC Consulate ?

My OCI got approved and printed and I hope should reach New York in next 2 weeks. I live in Philadelphia and planning to go in person to get the cards and U visa. Has anyone got the OCI cards in person recently ? Please share the experience.

Finally wait is over. OCI docs reached NY CGI today

SC received: 11/30/2010
OCI applied: 12/3/2010
email from NYCGI: 12/7/2010
Ack date: 1/19/2011
Scan date: 1/19/2011
reg granted: 1/26/2011
doc printed: 1/28/2011
dispatched: 2/1/2011
reached NYCGI: 2/7/2011

Getting OCI Card in person

My OCI got approved and printed and I hope should reach New York in next 2 weeks. I live in Philadelphia and planning to go in person to get the cards and U visa. Has anyone got the OCI cards in person recently ? Please share the experience.

I went to NY to receive OCI card in person recently. Between 9:30 and 10:30 drop US passport and the OCI status printout indicating CGNY has received it. They ask to see your canceled Indian Passport.
Pick up stamped US passport and OCI card between 4:30 - 5:00 pm.

They have a dedicated counter for OCI cards - so process is less than 5 minutes in morning and evening.

I went to NY to receive OCI card in person recently. Between 9:30 and 10:30 drop US passport and the OCI status printout indicating CGNY has received it. They ask to see your canceled Indian Passport.
Pick up stamped US passport and OCI card between 4:30 - 5:00 pm.

They have a dedicated counter for OCI cards - so process is less than 5 minutes in morning and evening.

Thanks a lot pgboston. I appreciate the information.

If you decide to mail in your US passport to collect your OCI, one thing I have observed is that the CGI-NY seem to process an entire week's mailed passports on Mondays and then mail those back out to people on Mondays. Since everyone who mails in for their OCI have to also include a prepaid USPS Express Mail envelope, you will get your OCI back on Tuesday. I chose not to go to NYC to collect in person and mailed in for mine and while my package reached the CGI-NY on a Monday, I got everything back the following week on a Tuesday. Saw two other people who submitted via mail like this at different times of the week also get their OCIs back the following week on Tuesday.

If you decide to mail in your US passport to collect your OCI, one thing I have observed is that the CGI-NY seem to process an entire week's mailed passports on Mondays and then mail those back out to people on Mondays. Since everyone who mails in for their OCI have to also include a prepaid USPS Express Mail envelope, you will get your OCI back on Tuesday. I chose not to go to NYC to collect in person and mailed in for mine and while my package reached the CGI-NY on a Monday, I got everything back the following week on a Tuesday. Saw two other people who submitted via mail like this at different times of the week also get their OCIs back the following week on Tuesday.

That is a very good observation. So if I decide to send them by mail , I should send them on a day so they reach CGI by Friday. Thanks JPBoston.

That is a very good observation. So if I decide to send them by mail , I should send them on a day so they reach CGI by Friday. Thanks JPBoston.

That is my theory based on my observations. I think during the week, they focus on preparing the OCIs in passports for those people who come in person for same day service. Everything that arrives by mail during the week is kept aside and they start processing those on the weekend and mail out on Monday of the new week.

Of course this only applies to those who have already gotten their OCIs in process. Once Travisa begins their involvement, you have to submit your US passport along with the OCI application right from the beginning.

Last edited by a moderator:
OCI Stamping

OCI Documents finally reached NY consulate!
If I want to send my passport by mail for U stamping, what do I need to include?

1) Original US Passport
2) Printout of status
3?) Surrender certificate?
4?) Cancelled Indian passport?

If you read some of the comments which I have posted earlier, then you would know that my wife and son's OCI was rejected and the reason given to us was that my Indian passport was not cancelled. We lost 2 months for this stupid mistake.
I recieved my OCI back in November 2009 and there was no surrender certificate rule at that time. The Indian passport was stamped cancelled when I sent my US passports for the U sticker.

CGI New York has outsourced its OCI services to Travisa Outsourcing and they mention that you need to send the US passports at the time of application. I have no confidence in these idoits in CGI NewYork and do not want my son's US passport to be stuck there. For the PIO card, it is 14 days from the time of application and not the 60 days as mentioned for OCI. It would have been good if my wife and sons application was processed before but for a stupid officer overlooking the fact that my Indian passport was already cancelled.
This time I have also taken a surrender certificate from CGI NewYork for $20 even though the passport already has a cancelled stamp.

If I want to send my passport by mail for U stamping, what do I need to include?

1) Original US Passport
2) Printout of status

This is from their website...
The documents required for collection of OCI card and U visa are as follows:
(i) US passport in original;
(ii) a print out of the online status (it can be obtained by accessing http://ociindia.nic.in/ociindia/OnlineOCIenquiry);
(iii) original PIO card in case the applicant is a PIO card holder;
(iv) return mailing charges of US$20 by way of postal money order (for up to 4 passports) if documents are to be received by mail;
(v) cancelled Indian passport/surrender certificate.

This is the link..
http://www.indiacgny.org/php/showHighLightDet.php?h_id=174&key=0

1) Original US Passport
2) Printout of status

This is what I had submitted recently and got everything back without any issues:

1. Cover letter clearly detailing the contents I was submitting as well as the file/acknowledgment number of my OCI application.
2. Online OCI status printout
3. US passport
4. USPS Express letter size envelope with stamp for $18.30 stuck on it as well as the completed address label stuck on the front
5. Copy of surrender certificate
6. Copy of the Indian passport pages where the "Cancelled" stamp was put.

I sent the entire submitted package inside a Priority Mail legal size envelope which allowed me to include the Express Mail letter size envelope without needing to fold it. You can get legal size envelopes for both Priority Mail and Express Mail services. So while I did mail the package out by Priority Mail, I obviously had to include an Express Mail return envelope because that is what they instructed. Do this instead of mailing the $20 because it speeds things up for you and I think this is the current expectation. As usual, these idiots put conflicting info on their website because they say to send a prepaid, prelabeled Express Mail envelope in one place and $20 in another.

Last edited by a moderator:
pgboston,

Can you please post all the dates? I have sent docs for OCI misc for my daughter 3 weeks ago (Jan 16) and haven't got any email from NYC office. Also status did not changed even to Acknowledgement. My phone calls and emails are not answered. I think something's seriously wrong.

Do you get email confirmation from them even for OCI misc? These babus are getting into my nerves:mad:

The Travisa site says OCI application is 40 days from the time they sent to the Indian consulate for NY.
Are they processing faster than consulate? Are the visas printed in NY nowadays?
I am traveling end of April and have to choose between PIO and OCI, at the same time apprehensive about sending the passport right at the beginning of the application.

The Travisa site says OCI application is 40 days from the time they sent to the Indian consulate for NY.
Are they processing faster than consulate? Are the visas printed in NY nowadays?
I am traveling end of April and have to choose between PIO and OCI, at the same time apprehensive about sending the passport right at the beginning of the application.

Chances are extremely low of getting OCI in 40 days, my friend made that mistake - didn't get OCI in time and had to get Entry visa at the last moment. Instead just get PIO, and then upgrade to OCI for just $25, and you'll have all the time in the world to apply for OCI.