OCI - New York Tracker

Well. That's great if we could sue them. Unfortunately we cannot sue the Foreign Mission and they know it. We can sue them in Indian courts but you know...

I think you can ask them to treat that as "lost passport" issue, since it is their fault. I recall seeing on CGNY website that there will be some "fee" for lost passports, but they would still process the SC in that case. That might be less time consuming than going after them. Just 2 cents.

Just a printout of online status page and original US passports, nothing else.
You don't have to stand in the line to collect OCIs, you can directly go to the OCI counter

You do stand in a line (Or at least the day I picked mine last time) to collect. To submit in the morning a Printed Status page & US passport with atleast one empty/blank page. I gather looking at the passports returned, that people who previously carried an Indian passport (expired/cancelled) had to show the old passport too.

You do stand in a line (Or at least the day I picked mine last time) to collect. To submit in the morning a Printed Status page & US passport with atleast one empty/blank page. I gather looking at the passports returned, that people who previously carried an Indian passport (expired/cancelled) had to show the old passport too.

We collected our OCIs last Thursday.
The moron at the OCI counter didn't ask us about cancelled/expired passports, just handed him a printout of status page and US passports. In fact we didn't have cancelled passports with us, collected them on the same day from another moron after we dropped off US passports at OCI counter.

Fascination with signing in green ink, all day and everyday: This is what Pushpa Kumar does all day (it must be 3 to 4 hours per day if not all day), she personally signs on all OCI cards and U-visas in green ink. Its hundreds of cards and visas every day (not to mention how many times they have to sign on copies they retain). As if the guys at arrival terminals in India can recognize her signature and find fake visas, what a waste, no country is doing that anymore, those are symbolic signatures which are machine printed and not hand written, but these Indian bureaucrats LOVE signing in green ink all day. Imagine half a dozen other morons running in her office to collect these green droppings for us, and Bajaj doing the same thing in another office. How about stopping this green ink signature nonsense and answering some phone calls, that must be 3 or 4 hours per day, enough time to answer every phone call. These guys will never change, its deliberate, its their way of protecting no-personal-risk, no-career-risk, once-joined-no-open-competition, no-accountability, out-of-touch-with-real-world life style that they are used to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fascination with signing in green ink, all day and everyday: This is what Pushpa Kumar does all day (it must be 3 to 4 hours per day if not all day), she personally signs on all OCI cards and U-visas in green ink. Its hundreds of cards and visas every day (not to mention how many times they have to sign on copies they retain). As if the guys at arrival terminals in India can recognize her signature and find fake visas, what a waste, no country is doing that anymore, those are symbolic signatures which are machine printed and not hand written, but these Indian bureaucrats LOVE signing in green ink all day. Imagine half a dozen other morons running in her office to collect these green droppings for us, and Bajaj doing the same thing in another office. How about stopping this green ink signature nonsense and answering some phone calls, that must be 3 or 4 hours per day, enough time to answer every phone call. These guys will never change, its deliberate, its their way of protecting no-personal-risk, no-career-risk, once-joined-no-open-competition, no-accountability, out-of-touch-with-real-world life style that they are used to.

I recall this law in India that only Gazetted officers of Govt. can sign in Green Ink (they are like Justice of Peace) to distinguish that they are authorized Govt. official. I think it is the law that they need to sign in Green Ink. If you check your old Indian Passports, you will notice the same.

Some facts about other stages

Hi,
I think we have been criticising personnel at Indian consulate out of frustration, but the following are some of the facts about the so called developed countries:

(1) It takes more than 5 years (and forever in some cases) for green card to arrive and there is no rhyme or reason in the order in which they process them. Those with earlier priority dates could get the GC later than those who applied afterwards
(2) In the N-400 application, for the oath dates, they give random dates, based on what they like
(3) The "renunciation fee for US citizenship" is $450 from July 13th and it was $0 before
(4) When we call a customer service, all they know is what is written on their screen - nothing more and nothing less (this is sometimes worse than not having customer service), and that too after hours of wait in some cases. They ask us for all information so the call could be routed well and then they transfer it to some other department, which asks for the same information again and again
(5) They charge 10 times more money than any other country charges for both tourism or anything we want in life

However, we all understand that the US citizenship is certainly a matter of convenience, as we can do visa-free travel to most countries :)

Beaurocracy is in every country - whether the officials wear suits or cotton clothes. I wish we focus more on issues and timelines than criticizing authorities and others!

Hi,
I think we have been criticising personnel at Indian consulate out of frustration, but the following are some of the facts about the so called developed countries:

(1) It takes more than 5 years (and forever in some cases) for green card to arrive and there is no rhyme or reason in the order in which they process them. Those with earlier priority dates could get the GC later than those who applied afterwards
(2) In the N-400 application, for the oath dates, they give random dates, based on what they like
(3) The "renunciation fee for US citizenship" is $450 from July 13th and it was $0 before
(4) When we call a customer service, all they know is what is written on their screen - nothing more and nothing less (this is sometimes worse than not having customer service), and that too after hours of wait in some cases. They ask us for all information so the call could be routed well and then they transfer it to some other department, which asks for the same information again and again
(5) They charge 10 times more money than any other country charges for both tourism or anything we want in life

However, we all understand that the US citizenship is certainly a matter of convenience, as we can do visa-free travel to most countries :)

Beaurocracy is in every country - whether the officials wear suits or cotton clothes. I wish we focus more on issues and timelines than criticizing authorities and others!

And please don't misunderstand me - I'm not trying to portray myself as the "good-guy" or "patriotic guy". I too was frustrated as it took more than 5 weeks to get my surrender certificate and I had to send many emails to them. All I wanted to say is the service levels from a country with 3 times more population, but with lot of poverty cannot be expected to be better than that of a developed country! And moreover, they seem to be improving process - for example, the OCI facilitation camp and other camps etc.

And please don't misunderstand me - I'm not trying to portray myself as the "good-guy" or "patriotic guy". I too was frustrated as it took more than 5 weeks to get my surrender certificate and I had to send many emails to them. All I wanted to say is the service levels from a country with 3 times more population, but with lot of poverty cannot be expected to be better than that of a developed country! And moreover, they seem to be improving process - for example, the OCI facilitation camp and other camps etc.

Population and poverty have nothing to do with whether they can run a consulate in an efficient manner. The problem with the CGI-NY is that they do not think things through at all and hastily put up very poor information and processes that actually get vetted through the resulting problems that are created and the complaints that are generated. Since all the consulates here in the US are basically autonomous, I put a lot of the blame on the CGI-NY on the way things are managed at the CGI-NY. Of course, while the idiots in India who make sudden decisions that change policy also get half the blame, the woes of the CGI-NY are mostly self-inflicted. There is no culture of improving efficiencies. With the requirement of redundantly renouncing your already defunct Indian citizenship for an exorbitant fee, they have introduced more delays into the OCI process. Have they hired and trained more staff to deal with the inevitable flood of applications for SC? Why not? They have a ton more money now, so cost isn't the issue. They could also move into a much bigger space somewhere else but choose to stay in the same dinky, dark hole and move at a snail's pace for everything. Meanwhile the backlog of SC and OCI applications grow bigger and bigger every day (reminds me of the US national debt in a way). Having OCI camps is not a reflection of them improving efficiency, it is more a sign of them being forced to do these because the ineptitude of their entire management and their desperation to try to reduce numbers of files. Maybe they are worried the sheer volumes of applications submitted in duplicate with supporting docs in duplicate, will crowd them out of their precious office space there. These morons constantly miscommunicate info, post contradictory info, post confusing info and then they wonder why people flood their phone lines and emails with clarifications, questions and follow-ups. Until they hire more resources, bring efficiency into the way they think, do and communicate things, this problem is only going to get worse, not better.

Here endeth the CGI-NY Optimism Report.

Indian consulate OCI camp

This camp is crap, they organized this camp just to prepare some reports to Indian govt. that these guys are working hard and serving people. I went their driving 2:30 hrs and spent 5 Min their and returned without any resolution. When I went in I saw a person got time out by one of the officer, this is ridicules as that guy trying to explain something and they did not listened to him at all. They did not even listened to me and said " You are ok" and when I asked that I guy do you know why i'm here and he said he will take care of my issue (without knowing the problem) and I can go home. The officers are useless and fit for nothing... CGNY should not organize these kind of camps for nothing. There is no security in building and I saw bunch of applications in boxes and I could have grabbed some and no one will notice. Now i'm more worried about my lost Indian passport, i'm pretty sure they might have thrown it some where.

One interesting thing... I heard if you go through some travel agents you will get your OCI and SC ASAP, I should have got hold of someone who take some bribe .....these guys will never change.

Simple question

This camp is crap, they organized this camp just to prepare some reports to Indian govt.

Let me ask you guys (not you alone Kat999) a simple question. You'll (most that I see whining here) are freshly made US citizens. Why are you all in a rush to become a near OCI within days ? Some have even started the process before becoming a citizen? Does it somehow become an overnight love-hate relationship with the country of birth ?

If all you'll want is visit your home country during summer and winter; wouldnt another Visa be sufficient ? Before I had an OCI, had a Business visa, before that a Tourist visa. I do travel a few times a year to India, as do I to Brazil (both are Visa-countries) I have found both countries do need patience which to an outsider is a bit trying. But you guys should have more tolerance and patience than us.

Or is there a complete different psychology at work, that I am missing here ?

Just want to know how much time they take now to acknowledge OCI applications? When I applied for mine in late Feb, they acknowledged in 10 days. Recently, my friend applied (first week of July) and they haven't acknowledged yet. I also applied for my daughter's OCI - Miscellaneous Services (new Passport) and it is about 2 weeks and they haven't acknowledged.

Let me ask you guys (not you alone Kat999) a simple question. You'll (most that I see whining here) are freshly made US citizens. Why are you all in a rush to become a near OCI within days ? Some have even started the process before becoming a citizen? Does it somehow become an overnight love-hate relationship with the country of birth ?

If all you'll want is visit your home country during summer and winter; wouldnt another Visa be sufficient ? Before I had an OCI, had a Business visa, before that a Tourist visa. I do travel a few times a year to India, as do I to Brazil (both are Visa-countries) I have found both countries do need patience which to an outsider is a bit trying. But you guys should have more tolerance and patience than us.

Or is there a complete different psychology at work, that I am missing here ?

I will make a few broad assumptions here but anyway: Most people here have a strong link with India because we spent some significant part of our lives there, have close family there, probably aging parents, probably personal interests like investments, homes or real estate that we stand to inherit or already own. We also probably have a damn good time when we go back on holiday or send the kids on the school summer vacation (not me yet). Emergencies can happen at any time (especially those with concerns about aging parents or other close family members) and one wants to be prepared for it when it does arise and be able to get there ASAP. With many of the reasons listed above, you have much more flexibility and way less complications as an OCI than as a foreign visitor. Therefore it makes good sense to get a lifelong OCI status over something like a temporary 10-year visa and that too, as soon as you can. I am someone who likes all his ducks in a row and definitely applied as soon as I was eligible (Incidentally, nobody can apply for an OCI before becoming a US citizen). I am just glad that I had to deal with Indian govt on a very limited basis since I moved to the US many years ago but every time I have had to, I am reminded of how the pathetic inefficient bureaucracy is alive and well. Nobody has ever loved this part of Indian governance culture when they lived in India but after years of being used to things more efficient here, it is jarring to see no progress in the desi babu mindset. Just my two cents.

Just want to know how much time they take now to acknowledge OCI applications? When I applied for mine in late Feb, they acknowledged in 10 days. Recently, my friend applied (first week of July) and they haven't acknowledged yet. I also applied for my daughter's OCI - Miscellaneous Services (new Passport) and it is about 2 weeks and they haven't acknowledged.

I suspect that ever since they introduces the SC requirement nonsense, things have slowed down quite a bit in the over all OCI process. I did start a very recent thread on tracking the timelines and feel to add your daughter's case to that: Tracker thread

Most of the people who complained here have dealt with CGI-NY in recent weeks/months, they are not WHINING, just explaining their experience. You are the one who is WHINING. You don't even know what is required at the time of collecting OCI, you posted wrong information based on your experience which is totally outdated now. Your comments are very offensive to people who share their experiences and trying to help each other.

You'll (most that I see whining here) are freshly made US citizens. Why are you all in a rush to become a near OCI within days ? Some have even started the process before becoming a citizen?

You may love to deal with these guys.... I don't have patience to deal with guys who has no respect, when i give respect to them, i demand the same from them too. Planning is good and most of them they plan before they become US citizens and there is nothing wrong about this and I strongly support and appreciate their planning instead of getting wrong information in last min.

Personally I don't want to deal with Indian consulate so i'm applying for OCI and there is no other reason.

Chill out guys. This is nothing new. We always have experienced poor treatment at Public Service offices, whether it is MVA/DMV, Social Security, Consulate. However one would expect the instructions are clear and uniform. We have 4 Indian consulates and one Embassy in US and if you read the instructions, each one states different requirement. If you visit Ministry of Home website, which is the approving authority for OCI, it states a different instruction. Yes, staff at our Missions are just paper pushers and don't care about customer care, may be locally recruited staff are not paid well, and ones coming from India don't care about anything but themself. But having heard from many who got their OCI in the past (last couple of years), it was not that bad and many have obtianed OCI within couple of weeks. I think due recent changes specially after this David Headley case (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Headley), both Ministry of Home and Ministry of External Affairs trying to close the holes and changing the rules every day. Post 9/2008 Mumbai incident has changed a lot similar to what changed our life in US post 9/11. Hope they will streamline soon. Meanwhile we have no option.

Time to do some reflection.

I will make a few broad assumptions here but anyway: Most people here have a strong link with India because we spent some significant part of our lives there, have close family there, probably aging parents, probably personal interests like investments, homes or real estate that we stand to inherit or already own.

you have much more flexibility and way less complications as an OCI than as a foreign visitor. Therefore it makes good sense to get a lifelong OCI status over something like a temporary 10-year visa and that too, as soon as you can. I am someone who likes all his ducks in a row and definitely applied as soon as I was eligible (Incidentally, nobody can apply for an OCI before becoming a US citizen).

Just my two cents.

Makes perfect sense, and quite logical. Gives me a sense of what is at play. It also gives me an understanding of your issues.

Most of the people who complained here have dealt with CGI-NY in recent weeks/months, they are not WHINING, just explaining their experience. You are the one who is WHINING. You don't even know what is required at the time of collecting OCI, you posted wrong information based on your experience which is totally outdated now. Your comments are very offensive to people who share their experiences and trying to help each other.

What is the wrong information ? I was at the CGI-NY this morning, apart from one-time OCI camp held upstairs, tell me what do you understand is the procedure for collecting an OCI ? You requirements will always be different from mine, I got it through ancestory. I have more documents to show than you. When you cuss or denigrate anyone, be it a bureaucrat or be it a fellow - you are whining in my book :D

You may love to deal with these guys.... I don't have patience to deal with guys who has no respect, when i give respect to them, i demand the same from them too.
Personally I don't want to deal with Indian consulate so i'm applying for OCI and there is no other reason.

No one does. You still have to deal with your family out in India, things are not that different out there. Some of us do not visit the country for love or relatives, we do for business reasons, and it does take a lot of effort and energy. If I did not have one of grandparent who was of Indian descent, I doubt I'd get an OCI, I'd probably let some other person handle India (not the consulate), in the future if I get fed up.

Chill out guys. This is nothing new. We always have experienced poor treatment at Public Service offices, whether it is MVA/DMV, Social Security, Consulate. However one would expect the instructions are clear and uniform. We have 4 Indian consulates and one Embassy in US and if you read the instructions, each one states different requirement. If you visit Ministry of Home website, which is the approving authority for OCI, it states a different instruction. Yes, staff at our Missions are just paper pushers and don't care about customer care, may be locally recruited staff are not paid well, and ones coming from India don't care about anything but themself. But having heard from many who got their OCI in the past (last couple of years), it was not that bad and many have obtianed OCI within couple of weeks. I think due recent changes specially after this David Headley case (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Headley), both Ministry of Home and Ministry of External Affairs trying to close the holes and changing the rules every day. Post 9/2008 Mumbai incident has changed a lot similar to what changed our life in US post 9/11. Hope they will streamline soon. Meanwhile we have no option.

I agree that to a rank outsider, Indian Embassies/websites and bureaucracy does not inspire confidence that its private sector or it's common citizenry would be any better or different. India takes work to engage in ways many other countries dont. Such is life ;)

Some how I get the sense, that you guys are frustrated because you have high expectations from Indian Consulate ? I am willing to bet a one rupee note: that you show me a Visa -Granting country that allows the citizenry of its Mission to apply via mail without showing your face. I got my first T visa the same day, I got my Business Visa the same day; It was in matters of OCI that it took some time. Let us see how long the transfer will take place. Can you folks tell me how long didit take you'll to get a visa ? As smooth as India ? My colleagues in PA & CT have not even seen the consulate - All via mail.

I was appalled how poorly my Government treats you indians in New Delhi in terms of hoops you have to jump through and grueling interview you have to go through. A young american college kid can easily get 10 year visa to India without showing face in any consulate, I doubt a young indian student will have the same ease.

Take a deep breadth and compare. My of my eminent colleagues in India dread, visa interviews be it US or EU. You cannot change a culture overnight can you ? Dont you'll have to deal with more bureaucracy when you go home ? In my entire time, I have only dealt with the CGI-NY a few times, but I have dealt with many ministries and State Govt. entities in India more often and trust me they are no better.

What is the wrong information ? I was at the CGI-NY this morning, apart from one-time OCI camp held upstairs, tell me what do you understand is the procedure for collecting an OCI ? You requirements will always be different from mine, I got it through ancestory. I have more documents to show than you. When you cuss or denigrate anyone, be it a bureaucrat or be it a fellow - you are whining in my book :D

This is wrong information, I have seen comments on this thread from atleast two or three people who collected their OCIs very recently, they were not asked to show cancelled/expired Indian passport. After the new SC rules were published CGI-NY stopped asking for expired/cancelled passports at the time collecting OCI. It doesn't matter on what basis you applied for OCI, you don't need to show cancelled/expired Indian passport at the time of collecting OCI, neither yours nor your great-great-great granddad's passport.

As for your comments about whining, you are the one who started it by calling everybody who complained here as whiners, you used specific words to include everybody in your targeted audience. We know how bureaucracy works in Indian government offices, we grew up there, no pretending here :)

I suggest everyone to avoid vagularity. Just share your experiences and knowledge, and help each other by discussing the matter in a civilized way being an adult.

Thank you.

There is no need to waste your energy, time and efforts for this kind of behavior. If someone puts others down then just avoid any confrontation with that person and report that person's activity to this site by clicking report button. This site can see/view who has said what even if one might have deleted his/her some postings.

Antonc,

Let this site to decide what should be deleted and what shouldn't be. If you disagree with other members' opinions then this is not the reason to report them. I've noticed you have reported a few times. However, you are free to report a member if a member has violated the terms of this site.

Again, I suggest both of you to please refrain from any name-calling, vagularity language and having confrontation-attitude because all this doesn't help a healthy and informative discussion/debate on important issues nor it serves the purpose of this board in any form.

I hope you guys would contribute to this site in a positive way.