OCI - Houston Tracker

OCIFI, your documents should arrive at the consulate 3-5 days after they are dispatched from New Delhi (keep checking the status page). I also received an email from the consulate ~7 days after my documents arrived here.

Thanks! What did you send other than US Passports? I've already sent $20 for them to send the passports back via fed ex.

OCIFI, your documents should arrive at the consulate 3-5 days after they are dispatched from New Delhi (keep checking the status page). I also received an email from the consulate ~7 days after my documents arrived here.

Here's what I sent:

Cover letter
$20 Money order (my original application did not include the mailing fee)
Copy of email received from consulate
Copy of OCI status inquiry page
Passport
PIO card
Copy of electric bill (I moved since original application submission, so my current address and address on the OCI application are different)

My updated timeline:

PIO to OCI conversion timeline:
Appln recd at Houston Consulate- Sep-23-2010
Appln acknowledged/ scanned- Dec-25-2010
Registration granted- Jun-28-2011
Documents Printed- Jul-04-2011
Documents Dispatched- Jul-11-2011
Documents Received at HOUSTON- Jul-15-2011
Passport/ PIO card sent to Houston- Jul-25-2011
Passport/ OCI card recd- ?

Thanks! What did you send other than US Passports? I've already sent $20 for them to send the passports back via fed ex.

Should I wait for an email from CGI to send my passports to them or can I send it without waiting for their email?

MY documents were received at the consulate yesterday

Thanks

Update on my OCI application

I too have the same doubt- whether I have to wait for the email from the consulate ?
Thanks for the info.

App Sent: Dec 27-2010
Ack Date: Feb 04-2011
Scan Date:Feb 04-2011
Grant Date:Jul 26-2011
Documents Printed- Jul-26-2011
Documents Dispatched- Jul-27-2011
Documents Received at HOUSTON- Jul-29-2011

I too have the same doubt- whether I have to wait for the email from the consulate ?
Thanks for the info.

App Sent: Dec 27-2010
Ack Date: Feb 04-2011
Scan Date:Feb 04-2011
Grant Date:Jul 26-2011
Documents Printed- Jul-26-2011
Documents Dispatched- Jul-27-2011
Documents Received at HOUSTON- Jul-29-2011

Hey man,
I have the acknowledgement date one day before you, and mine still not approved by the consulate.
I hate this.
Congratulations anyways for getting it approved by the consulate.
To answer your question, "just send in your passport only after consulate receives your O.C.I card from New Delhi."

In other words, keep checking the website, until you see that "Document received at Houston _________ Not Yet"

This is what the Houston Consulate have to say regarding your question:

After seeing the online status: Documents Received at Houston on ______ (date will be shown), send your Original US Passport for OCI stamping. Please quote your “OCI File No.” while sending the US passport.

here is the website to check the status: https://passport.gov.in/oci/OnlineOCIenquiry.jsp

good luck.

post back as to what you did, and what were their results.

Super, Our Documents were received at Houston today only...We had the patience all these days...Maybe in another one or two days, you should the have OCI granted...

Hey man,
I have the acknowledgement date one day before you, and mine still not approved by the consulate.
I hate this.
Congratulations anyways for getting it approved by the consulate.
To answer your question, "just send in your passport only after consulate receives your O.C.I card from New Delhi."

In other words, keep checking the website, until you see that "Document received at Houston _________ Not Yet"

This is what the Houston Consulate have to say regarding your question:

good luck.

post back as to what you did, and what were their results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super, Our Documents were received at Houston today only...We had the patience all these days...Maybe in another one or two days, you should the have OCI granted...

let us hope so that Houston Consulate will actually pick up the actual application in their hands and click that "granted" button, so the New Delhi can print that card / booklet and send it to Houston.

I just want to get this over with it.

If this drags beyond December, 2011, then I am going to ask for an upgrade to where they would have to grant me free of charge the biometric O.C.I booklet rather than regular one.

I waited too darn long, and consulate have done an injustice to all of us here who have been patiently waiting for long as six (6) months to a minimum, and some people what went before us in the year 2010, have been waiting for up to nine (9) months.

People who went through TRAVISA got a faster ride then people who applied before.

People that went through TRAVISA and have gotten their O.C.I booklet and 'U' Visa in their hands , should yell at the Houston Consulate personnel to some thing to the effect of " Hey you knuckle headed people, you guys are supposed to be giving the priority to the people that came before TRAVISA".

Just because TRAVISA collects their non-refundable fee of $13.00 or $12.00 (or as I like to call it a 'Karcha Pani of TRAVISA' ) , that does not mean that Consulate should give the people that came through TRAVISA a preference over the people that came before TRAVISA.

I am now intensely praying that Consulate gets their act together, and really process faster for the people that came before TRAVISA.

Hey guys, check out this electronic mail that I received from Consulate General of India - Houston, which was in response to my very frustrating electronic mail describing how I have been waiting in line so patiently, while Consulate just keeps approving the people's application that go through TRAVISA, and just sitting on the applications that came before TRAVISA.

Here is their response:

Sir,

We are in receipt of your application and the same is in the final stage for granting. Once granted and the OCI Card is received by us from India, we will intimate you about the next step.

Regards
OCI Unit

Consulate General Of India Houston
1990 Post Oak Boulevard, Suite #600
Houston, TX - 77056
Telephone 713-626-2148, 713-626-2149
Fax: 713-626-2450, 713-627-2034, 713-993-9347

Application sent to Consulate General of India - Houston DIRECTLY: JANUARY / 2011
Acknowledgment date: FEBRUARY / 2011

Hello Super Duper.....if it is any consolation....my ACK date is same as yours and still says UNDERPROCESS......hopefully we will be granted in the next few days...not holding my breath though.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated PIO to OCI conversion timeline

So, based some recent experiences by folks on this forum (thanks webxplore, BAntony) I decided to mail my passport to the consulate rather than drive 6 hours to Houston. I'm happy to say that my paperwork was returned promptly and efficiently. Now, if only this promptness would permeate into other consulate business matters!

For those of you that are interested, here is my final timeline:

PIO to OCI conversion timeline (pre-Travisa outsourcing):
Appln recd at Houston Consulate- Sep-23-2010
Appln acknowledged/ scanned- Dec-25-2010
Registration granted- Jun-28-2011
Documents Printed- Jul-02-2011
Documents Dispatched- Jul-11-2011
Documents Received at HOUSTON- Jul-15-2011
Passport/ PIO card sent to Houston- Jul-25-2011
Passport/ OCI card recd- August-02-2011

Good luck to everybody else in the queue, hopefully you'll get yours soon!

Finally,
O.C.I application is granted after long 6 month and 1 day ( length of time { 6 months } could be argued, I am not going to {argue, that is}. Judge it for yourself from the timeline below )

Time Line:

January / 03 / 2011 - O.C.I application sent to Consulate General of India - Houston Directly { Before TRAVISA days } along with renunciation forms, and expired Indian Passports

February / 03 / 2011 - O.C.I application acknowledgement date, Photos and Signatures scanned, and Renunciation forms stamped {now became a renunciation certificates}

Special Note: Only mine, and both of my parents photos and signatures were scanned on February / 03 / 2011. My younger brother's Photos and signatures were scanned in at March / 10 / 2011.

after a long waiting period
August / 04 / 2011 - O.C.I application Granted from the Consulate General of India - Houston :) :cool: :)

Now, the wait begins for the printing of O.C.I cards / booklets at New Delhi, India, getting those cards/ booklets to Consulate General of India - Houston, and then getting the 'U' Visa pasted onto the U.S.A passports, and getting the O.C.I cards / booklets, as well as 'U' Visa affixed U.S.A passports home from the Consulate general of India - Houston.

Now, I am just waiting for an electronic mail from the Consulate General of India - Houston as to what to do next, they (Consulate General of India - Houston) will send me an electronic mail as per their response, which I have posted on this forum, once they (Consulate General of India - Houston) receive the O.C.I cards / O.C.I booklets from India.

Although, I know what to do, but I just wanted to be extra safe and wait for their response.

I will keep this forum updated as to what happens, and will also post the entire electronic mail from Consulate General of India - Houston once I receive it from their end.

Anyways, I am just excited that journey will slowly will come to an end, and my next journey begins when the entire family's U.S.A passports expire in the year 2015. After 2015, I will have to deal with the TRAVISA, but at least I will not have to wait for like six (6) months to get the O.C.I's 'U' Visa transferred onto my new U.S.A passport.

CONGRATS Super_Duper Sir

CONGRATS Super_Duper Sir...I know it has been a long wait...few more days and we should be done with OCI process

Finally,
O.C.I application is granted after long 6 month and 1 day ( length of time { 6 months } could be argued, I am not going to {argue, that is}. Judge it for yourself from the timeline below )

Time Line:

January / 03 / 2011 - O.C.I application sent to Consulate General of India - Houston Directly { Before TRAVISA days } along with renunciation forms, and expired Indian Passports

February / 03 / 2011 - O.C.I application acknowledgement date, Photos and Signatures scanned, and Renunciation forms stamped {now became a renunciation certificates}

Special Note: Only mine, and both of my parents photos and signatures were scanned on February / 03 / 2011. My younger brother's Photos and signatures were scanned in at March / 10 / 2011.

after a long waiting period
August / 04 / 2011 - O.C.I application Granted from the Consulate General of India - Houston :) :cool: :)

Now, the wait begins for the printing of O.C.I cards / booklets at New Delhi, India, getting those cards/ booklets to Consulate General of India - Houston, and then getting the 'U' Visa pasted onto the U.S.A passports, and getting the O.C.I cards / booklets, as well as 'U' Visa affixed U.S.A passports home from the Consulate general of India - Houston.

Now, I am just waiting for an electronic mail from the Consulate General of India - Houston as to what to do next, they (Consulate General of India - Houston) will send me an electronic mail as per their response, which I have posted on this forum, once they (Consulate General of India - Houston) receive the O.C.I cards / O.C.I booklets from India.

Although, I know what to do, but I just wanted to be extra safe and wait for their response.

I will keep this forum updated as to what happens, and will also post the entire electronic mail from Consulate General of India - Houston once I receive it from their end.

Anyways, I am just excited that journey will slowly will come to an end, and my next journey begins when the entire family's U.S.A passports expire in the year 2015. After 2015, I will have to deal with the TRAVISA, but at least I will not have to wait for like six (6) months to get the O.C.I's 'U' Visa transferred onto my new U.S.A passport.