OCI - Houston Tracker

OCIF| The printer seems to be broken at Delhi. Even if the application gets acknowledged/scanned/granted at the Indian Embassy, the OCI booklet would still need to printed at Delhi and so far nothing has been printed since April 25th. God knows when will they fix the printer.

I am not convinced this is a printer issue. There have been no approvals (OCI granted status) in the tracker after 05/03 at any other CGI either. 10 days is a long time to go without any approvals. Maybe there are other issues that have caused all OCI related activity to be put on hold.

Can the government of India be anymore hopeless !!

Yes. Theoretically, it is possible for them to "improve" upon their dismal showing. I wouldn't tempt fate by thinking about it. :)

On the other hand, they are so far 'ahead' of comparable nations in terms of inefficiency, corruption and a lack of self-respect, that there is no reason to even try. While I say all this, with much bitterness in my heart, I also feel a tremendous sense of sorrow. . . *Sigh!*

arun ji the printer seems to be broken or out of ink, answers are all out of sarcasm and out of frustration. I don't know what's the deal with the OCI people.

India is supposedly technology advanced being one of the IT outsourcing hubs in the world. They want to send man to the moon and the stars, but they are not able to efficiently run the OCI process.

I spoke to a very helpful lady (operator) at CGI-Houston. She took down my details and called me back with the following information:

(1) The OCI officer anticipates it will take another 2 weeks for my case (granted 04/26) to be processed and for the OCI to reach Houston.
(2) Usually takes 3 weeks from time of Granted status to OCI reaching the consulate but is now taking two more weeks. The reason is that the officer doing that part of the processing changed recently.

The two weeks of no updates on printing in the tracker might be reflecting this change in personnel and associated training. The tracker today shows several entries with a printing date of 05/13 which is encouraging. Hopefully things are back on track for everyone.

Finally, on the entire renunciation issue, I found the following link yesterday -- have not seen it before. My apologies if this is old/outdated information. Please remove spaces, and replace oo with tt; I cannot post a link yet.

hoop: // articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com /2011-05-02/news/29496094_1_indian-passport-citizenship-of-other-countries-indian-visa

That should give some insights into why the Indian government felt the urgency to put this process in place abruptly.

All the best to everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks arun_k for posting this information. Definitely helpful for all the folks waiting anxiously.

Good Evening Everyone,

I have applied for OCI through Travisa to Houston Consulate from Atlanta, GA and the following is my status. I hope this helps others with similar situations. Also my file was acknowledged on 05/14/2011 per the MHA online status check.

Date/Time Action
04/05/2011 9:57pm CST Service order form completed online
04/08/2011 12:35pm CST OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing. Please allow Travisa Outsourcing up to 7 business days before the application status changes. Note that your application will undergo several steps before the status is updated.
04/19/2011 9:49am CST Application assigned for processing
04/19/2011 9:57am CST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
05/13/2011 2:07pm CST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
05/16/2011 9:04am CST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
05/16/2011 10:07am CST Documents received by Consulate

Update: The photo was scanned today per MHA Online Case Status

Good Evening Everyone,

I have applied for OCI through Travisa to Houston Consulate from Atlanta, GA and the following is my status. I hope this helps others with similar situations. Also my file was acknowledged on 05/14/2011 per the MHA online status check.

Date/Time Action
04/05/2011 9:57pm CST Service order form completed online
04/08/2011 12:35pm CST OCI application arrived in the mail at Travisa Outsourcing. Please allow Travisa Outsourcing up to 7 business days before the application status changes. Note that your application will undergo several steps before the status is updated.
04/19/2011 9:49am CST Application assigned for processing
04/19/2011 9:57am CST Order form and supporting documents received, payment processed
05/13/2011 2:07pm CST Documents prepared to go to Embassy.
05/16/2011 9:04am CST Documents dispatched from Travisa Outsourcing Office to Consulate
05/16/2011 10:07am CST Documents received by Consulate

3 cases filed via Travisa @ SFO have granted dates after 4/25 and documents printed on 5/13. No CGI Houston based cases in the tracker were printed after 4/22.

Hi Coolcatz2375,

Mine is still in GRANTED state (04/18/11). I called the consulate and she repeated the same information which Arun_K had mentioned. Looks like we have to wait for few more weeks to get them to PRINTED Status. :(

arun_K,
How did you get so lucky? what number did you call?

OCIFl -- I am in the same boat as most other CGI Houston applicants. Its taken over 8 months to get the OCI granted, and now stuck in the printing step. Of course, compared to your case (OCI not yet granted after applying in September last year) we are all very lucky.

My status has not yet changed after the 04/26 granted date -- the folks at Houston must be giving me their most optimistic estimate. I'm still waiting for the documents to be printed and doubt that I will get the OCI @ Houston within the next two weeks.

If you are asking about how I got in touch with someone at Houston via phone, steps are below:
(1) Phone # = 713-626-2148; the regular PABX number for the consulate
(2) select option 5 to talk to someone about OCI
(3) wait for message that says "no one is available" and then press 0 for operator.
(4) Choose options to stay on hold for about 20-30 minutes while queue position reduces steadily.
(5) Wait for the "no one is available" message; you will very likely get booted out of the queue and will have to start all over again.
(6) Press "0" again, to speak with the operator and choose options to stay on hold for another 20-30 minutes and keep trying until you are lucky enough to get to the operator. Go back to step (3) if booted out of queue again or hang up if you are tired.

When you do get through to the operator, speak as courteously as you can and request them for more/any information they can provide to help you. Mention that you have tried to contact OCI Cell multiple times and have left several voice-mails and sent email, but have no response and that you are concerned that your application/letter may be lost or did not reach Houston/Delhi (as applicable).

The operator is the last person who is responsible for our situation; I am sure they are getting several angry/rude calls everyday for no fault of their own. Would we want to be spoken to angrily if we were in their position where delays in Delhi/India were out the CGI Houston control, let alone the operator?

Finally, your case is extreme -- I think in addition to trying to reach the OCI Cell through the operator, you should send email to: shettybn@nic.in
This name, Shetty B N (search using keywords "oci nic shetty" in your favorite search engine) comes up in the context of problems submitting applications online but I have seen some forum posts in other contexts mention that this gentleman has always been helpful and prompt in replying.

I have not personally contacted Mr. Shetty because I am sure he is already getting several emails and my case is neither unique nor emergency.

All the best.

Arun_K
Thank you so much for detailed information. I really appreciate it.

on houston cgi web site it says "The Consulate is making its best efforts to process each OCI application swiftly so that the turnaround time after submitting the application with Travisa is 30 to 40 days." I wonder if they are talking about end to end time. if so, then what about taking care of people who applied before Travisa came in picture... sobs

When you do get through to the operator, speak as courteously as you can and request them for more/any information they can provide to help you. Mention that you have tried to contact OCI Cell multiple times and have left several voice-mails and sent email, but have no response and that you are concerned that your application/letter may be lost or did not reach Houston/Delhi (as applicable).

The operator is the last person who is responsible for our situation; I am sure they are getting several angry/rude calls everyday for no fault of their own. Would we want to be spoken to angrily if we were in their position where delays in Delhi/India were out the CGI Houston control, let alone the operator?

Finally, your case is extreme -- I think in addition to trying to reach the OCI Cell through the operator, you should send email to: shettybn@nic.in
This name, Shetty B N (search using keywords "oci nic shetty" in your favorite search engine) comes up in the context of problems submitting applications online but I have seen some forum posts in other contexts mention that this gentleman has always been helpful and prompt in replying.

I have not personally contacted Mr. Shetty because I am sure he is already getting several emails and my case is neither unique nor emergency.

All the best.

One of the most thoughtful and well crafted responses. You are also very persevering. Good luck to you arun_k, and here's hoping that you see light at the end of the tunnel.

It looks like only San Francisco OCI's are getting printed. (One more SFC person got print status in Immihelp tracker). For Houston folks it is "Wait for few months after each status change", while for others is "Wait for few weeks/days after each status change"