0 Comments
USA - Houston
04/18/2011
04/20/2011
04/28/2011
04/28/2011

OCI Re-issue (New Passport)
04/28/2011 11:06:44 AM EDT
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1234ven
0 Comments
USA - Houston
03/22/2011
03/29/2011
04/07/2011
04/14/2011
04/16/2011
04/22/2011

05/10/2011 06:00:27 PM EDT
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
bujju6
0 Comments
USA - Houston
03/18/2011
04/12/2011

04/12/2011
04/15/2011
04/22/2011

05/03/2011
05/09/2011

Very fast Processing time. This happened inspite of delay in submitting incorrec
05/10/2011 05:40:39 PM EDT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
leakaustin
6 Comments
USA - Houston
03/16/2011
03/17/2011
03/26/2011
04/03/2011
04/04/2011
04/09/2011
04/22/2011
04/28/2011
05/03/2011
05/09/2011

Travisa Outsourcing has received your document back from Indian Consulate
05/09/2011 04:12:51 PM EDT
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mytech
0 Comments
USA - Houston
03/15/2011
03/18/2011
03/26/2011
04/03/2011
04/04/2011
04/09/2011
04/22/2011
04/28/2011
05/03/2011
05/09/2011

Travisa Outsourcing has received your documents back from Indian Consulate
05/10/2011 07:53:50 AM EDT
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ociinfo
3 Comments
USA - Houston
03/01/2011
03/02/2011
03/22/2011
03/18/2011
03/18/2011

Still no update.Photos scanned. Registration status: Underprocess
05/04/2011 11:17:53 AM EDT

Last edited by a moderator:
devanpk... all these timelines are for applications processed via travisa, correct?
There's still people out there who applied through consulate last year and yet have not even had their picture scanned. People who're applying through Travisa are getting the priority. And it can't be unseen... OCIF| should view the immihelp tracker to see what's the next best step for him/her

Received my US passport in the mail today. It's time for me to get my OCI (along with the SC). I have two questions for you:

1. Is there one relatively complete resource (web page or forum post) that has useful pointers or checklists for preparing the OCI application?

2. I will need my US passport for travel purposes (not to India though) in the fourth week of July. Given that I will not be able to send off my OCI application until May 15, would you all advise against giving my passport away to Travisa to hold from now till whenever they complete the process? That is, what are the chances of them completing the process in about 60 days, do you think?

Thank you for your attention.

@java cafe

1. Go to Travisa, click on OCI, click here to get started, fill out your state, naturalization date, etc. It will show you a list of the documents needed.
You need 2 copies of all the documents. So make sure you print 2 copies of part A of the OCI application when you print.
Self-Attestation should say, "This is a true copy of the original. and Signed by you."
Write self-attestation on all the copies to avoid confusion. That's what I did.

2. It takes them 3 weeks to open the mail if you apply by mail. But if you drop by in person you can skip the queue. I dropped my OCI application at Travisa on the 14th April and on 17th April it was acknowledged by the Consulate.
I don't know if the time frame would be sufficient enough as no one has gotten their OCI printed since the 25th of April. There seems to be something wrong with their printing machine.

P.S. If you apply in person at Travisa, then your Indian passports will be returned to you at the same time. But if you apply via mail, then the Indian passports remain with Travisa until they receive your OCI and US passport back from Indian Consulate.

@java cafe

2. It takes them 3 weeks to open the mail if you apply by mail. But if you drop by in person you can skip the queue. I dropped my OCI application at Travisa on the 14th April and on 17th April it was acknowledged by the Consulate.

P.S. If you apply in person at Travisa, then your Indian passports will be returned to you at the same time. But if you apply via mail, then the Indian passports remain with Travisa until they receive your OCI and US passport back from Indian Consulate.

Thank you, speakamericano, for your very helpful response!

Unfortunately, it will be extremely difficult, if at all possible, for me to go down to Houston from Dallas just to turn in the application. The three-week advantage does seem very appealing, but I don't think I can afford the time to travel to Houston.

As far as the Indian passport is concerned, I would not be able to use it for any kind of travel (or any other purpose) now. So, it is mush less of a factor if that stays out of hand. Good thing, they don't ask for the original Naturalization Certificate!

Finally, do you have a profile on the tracker at http://www.immihelp.com/tracker/india-trackers/oci-tracker.do ? If not, why don't you create one? I'd very much like to follow your progress. (Unless, of course, your process is already complete.) EDIT/Update: Never mind! Just saw your profile there. :)

yes i have a profile under the same username as speakamericano on immihelp. The link is http://www.immihelp.com/tracker/userprofile/speakamericano
My timeline was processed at the SF Travisa. It was fairly quick process for me. Maybe I just got lucky on this one. Renunciation was a pain in the butt for me.
I don't know much about the Houston Travisa mail process, but at SF they have a huge pile of applications sitting here. As one of the posters named gundas mentioned, it took Travisa almost a month to update status and say that his mother's file was on hold for missing name change documents. There have been other cases where they just take over 3 weeks to open the packet. hopefully the Houston is slightly better.
Good Luck!

@speakamericano: You are with the San Francisco CGI, which, I am sure, is 100 times better than Houston.

Interesting! On the tracker at immihelp.com, forumuser123 reportedly dropped off his/her application at the SF CGI, as you did. And, in the comment section, describes the process as "painful." I wonder what s/he means. How was your experience? (If you already have a post on this matter, just let me have the URL. Thanks.)

From my experience, maybe I can see where the pain is coming from.
SC Experience:
Online tool on Travisa said 04/08/2011 updated at 11:38AM your documents are ready to be picked up between the hours of 430 and 6pm...so I drive my *** from San Jose to San Francisco to pick up docs on a Friday evening in rush hour mad bay area traffic to find out that if I applied by mail then I must include a Prepaid envelop or travisa won't let me pick up my papers.
So I ask for a supervisor because no where on travisa it says that I must include a prepaid envelope if I apply by mail. Instead it gives you an option that you can pick up the docs in person ...that's what I did... After speaking to the supervisor for 20 minutes, they CANNOT FIND MY FILE.
they ask me to come back on monday 4/11... when I drive there. Luckily they had my file on top. The douche working there said sometimes it takes 24 hours for them to bring the file in the box... their mailing address is suite 320.. but their drop by location is suite 110. So After driving in mad rush traffic for 2 days and being pissed off I finally get my paperwork from Travisa.

This time I will wait for an extra day to go pick up my docs in person..see what they say.

Received my US passport in the mail today. It's time for me to get my OCI (along with the SC). I have two questions for you:

1. Is there one relatively complete resource (web page or forum post) that has useful pointers or checklists for preparing the OCI application?

2. I will need my US passport for travel purposes (not to India though) in the fourth week of July. Given that I will not be able to send off my OCI application until May 15, would you all advise against giving my passport away to Travisa to hold from now till whenever they complete the process? That is, what are the chances of them completing the process in about 60 days, do you think?

Thank you for your attention.

Welcome javacafe to the Travisa/CGI torture party. Grab a beer and make yourself comfortable.

Americano has already answered, but I thought I would weigh in my thoughts as well...

Answer to 1: http://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/oci/display-requirements

Answer to 2: I would advise you against applying for the OCI at this time. You have to part with your US passport, without which the OCI application will not be processed. There are absolutely no guarantees that you will get the passport back by July.

Logically speaking looking at the processing timelines posted(30 or 40 days based on your location), one could assume that applicants should get back their OCI and passport in a 2 month time-frame, but only if that were true!

At the present time New Delhi is dealing with a broken printer issue and the honorable minister for external affairs is debating whether to get a new printer, fix the printer they got or maybe outsource the process of printing altogether. (made up the outsourcing part)

At the present time New Delhi is dealing with a broken printer issue and the honorable minister for external affairs is debating whether to get a new printer, fix the printer they got or maybe outsource the process of printing altogether. (made up the outsourcing part)

where did you find out that they were having issues with the printer. My brother and his family's OCI cards have been granted since April 28th but no progress after that.

Welcome javacafe to the Travisa/CGI torture party. Grab a beer and make yourself comfortable.

Americano has already answered, but I thought I would weigh in my thoughts as well...

Answer to 1: http://indiavisa.travisaoutsourcing.com/oci/display-requirements

Answer to 2: I would advise you against applying for the OCI at this time. You have to part with your US passport, without which the OCI application will not be processed. There are absolutely no guarantees that you will get the passport back by July.

Logically speaking looking at the processing timelines posted(30 or 40 days based on your location), one could assume that applicants should get back their OCI and passport in a 2 month time-frame, but only if that were true!

Thank you, idk. Looks like, I have no choice other than to join the party. :)

A broken printer . . . this boggles my mind. This would have been hilarious . . . had it not been for the fact that it is . . not. It's quite sad, really.

Anyhow, one day or an other I will have to go through this. I can scrap my July travel plans at this time. But, I certainly must travel in December. So, perhaps, I will go ahead and jump into the torture chamber.

But, tell me . . if a printer in New Delhi is broken, does this not affect all the CGIs in USA (and all consulates and embassies the world over)? It must. So, why does it seem that Houston sucks more than the rest? Never mind, that was a rhetorical question. ;)

where did you find out that they were having issues with the printer. My brother and his family's OCI cards have been granted since April 28th but no progress after that.

OCI cards are acknowledged, scanned, and granted at the Indian Consulate in the US.
Your OCI booklet is the only thing that gets printed in India; which is why there is a delay in the printing process since the 25th.
God knows when will they replace the old printing machine if there is something wrong with it.

That statement was made more out of sarcasm and conjecture.

One of the other posters got a call back from Chicago consulate saying there are delays in New Delhi and to sit tight.

Based on comments on this forum and elsewhere no "Printed" status has been granted since Apr-25.

I am also one of the applicants waiting for the "Printed" status, having applied at Travisa SFO.

But, tell me . . if a printer in New Delhi is broken, does this not affect all the CGIs in USA (and all consulates and embassies the world over)? It must. So, why does it seem that Houston sucks more than the rest? Never mind, that was a rhetorical question. ;)

It is beyond sad, specially for the folks in Houston, who have been waiting for 6 or 7 months.

I think Americano has already answered, the granting happens at the mission/embassy and the printing happens in New Delhi.

I also read elsewhere, that there is a plan in the works to install the OCI printing machines at the consulates/embassy, until then we are at their mercy.

One of the other challenges is trying to get a response from these folks.

The consulate, *Never* responds to emails or phone calls. And for Travisa the wait time is 1 hour to 3 hours.

Excellent! Now, until I see evidence of "new" printing, I think I will not turn in my OCI application. I know that this will likely put me behind a pile of accruing applications (especially from people who might not track these kinds of things). But, even so, I seriously hesitate to send my passport off to a "broken machine."

At least, during the pre-Travisa era, you were not required to part with your US passport until at a very late stage of the game. But now, when they grab the US passport at the very outset, it is unimaginable to to go through a process that takes the better part of a year.

I am glad that we have this forum for company, fellow travelers through the landscape of misery that we are.

It'd definitely be a mess if you renew the passport. Best option would be withdraw your application. Renew your passport and re-apply through travisa. So far, in over 7 months, consulate has only acknowledged your application. if you apply via travisa, it's much faster. less than 2 months for houston area residents.
that way you'd have your new oci paperwork with your new us passport(passport valid for 10 years)

Thank you. Yeah, it's already a messy situation. How would I withdraw? I've already paid for the application.

interesting ...

forums.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?243-Overseas-Citizenship-of-India-(OCI)-Issues

interesting ...

forums.immigration.com/forumdisplay.php?243-Overseas-Citizenship-of-India-(OCI)-Issues

Sorry, meant to paste this ....

economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/nri/visa-and-immigration/indian-americans-protest-over-new-indian-visa-rules/articleshow/8144894.cms

I would strongly advise against withdrawing the application. It might have other un-intended consequences and delay/jeopardize application through Travisa.

Another member, Vellabadu has the same problem -- his son got a new US passport and that passport came back without the OCI stamp. So, it might be a good idea to wait and see what happens to that case and the guidance that he receives from the consulate on what to do.

Thank you. Vellabadu, could you please post your experience and if you got any explanation/suggestion from consulate on what to do now?

OCIF| The printer seems to be broken at Delhi. Even if the application gets acknowledged/scanned/granted at the Indian Embassy, the OCI booklet would still need to printed at Delhi and so far nothing has been printed since April 25th. God knows when will they fix the printer.
The OCI booklet has your passport number written on it, which must match the passport that the visa is stamped on. If you get OCI booklet with an expired passport and have the new passport with a U-Visa affixed on it, it would still show the different passport numbers.
OCI Booklet would have old passport number that you sent. (Check page 3 on http://www.indianconsulate.com/PDF_FORMS/OCICardandOCIvisasticker.pdf)
OCI U-Visa would show the new passport number on it.
I don't know how that will be handled by the Indian Customs. As I mentioned above, it'd just create more confusion.
We can wait and see if Vellabadu replies and see how he dealt with it.