OCI - Houston Tracker

I attended QA session presided by Consul Officer in Dallas. As per his assessment, they are overwhelmed with the applications for Renunciation and OCI, since Renunciation process had been introduced. Timelines for both processes have increased. On an average Renunciation is taking about 2 months and OCI about 6-8 months. Some of the staff is working overtime and during weekends also. He was requesting to not call the Consulate for minor and non critical issues or questions. He said typically they get calls as soon as an application is sent asking if the application is received and seeking status about the application. If the application is filled as per instructions and everything is correct it would be processed and returned. If for some reason something is wrong they would seek the clarification, send message or call the applicant. If they spend time in responding to phone calls or emails they will not be able to attend to the processing and thus delay. So his request was not to call unless it is critical or emergency. Lack of response from them should not be construed as arrogance and to have patience and give them time, since they attend to other services also like issuing passports, visas, birth/death certificates etc. Also while sending applications write on the envelope 'Misc Services' , 'Renunciation Only', 'OCI' etc. Renunciation to be sent separately or before any request for service is requested.They would insist on seeing the Surrender Certificate. One need not carry while travelling to India. As for refund of fees for those who obtained foreign citizenship prior jun1, it is not forth coming, they can forget.
In my opinion, we should give them time as per the timelines and then contact if it is beyond a reasonable time limit. And also when someone calls have the required information ready on hand. I feel Consulate should put up updates or more information on their website and it should be better organized. Maybe they can call in staff from other embassies to help them out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see that Houston is Ack around 100-150 OCI application every day. Interesting thing some cases do not have Online Application number. How do these people apply? Also there are other applicants who have a much later Online number (than my wife's number) and it has been acknowledged for them.

File no progress
10/6 - USAH01214110
10/7 - USAH01227910

I attended QA session presided by Consul Officer in Dallas. As per his assessment, they are overwhelmed with the applications for Renunciation and OCI, since Renunciation process had been introduced. Timelines for both processes have increased. On an average Renunciation is taking about 2 months and OCI about 6-8 months. Some of the staff is working overtime and during weekends also. He was requesting to not call the Consulate for minor and non critical issues or questions. He said typically they get calls as soon as an application is sent asking if the application is received and seeking status about the application. If the application is filled as per instructions and everything is correct it would be processed and returned. If for some reason something is wrong they would seek the clarification, send message or call the applicant. If they spend time in responding to phone calls or emails they will not be able to attend to the processing and thus delay. So his request was not to call unless it is critical or emergency. Lack of response from them should not be construed as arrogance and to have patience and give them time, since they attend to other services also like issuing passports, visas, birth/death certificates etc. Also while sending applications write on the envelope 'Misc Services' , 'Renunciation Only', 'OCI' etc. Renunciation to be sent separately or before any request for service is requested.They would insist on seeing the Surrender Certificate. One need not carry while travelling to India. As for refund of fees for those who obtained foreign citizenship prior jun1, it is not forth coming, they can forget.
In my opinion, we should give them time as per the timelines and then contact if it is beyond a reasonable time limit. And also when someone calls have the required information ready on hand. I feel Consulate should put up updates or more information on their website and it should be better organized. Maybe they can call in staff from other embassies to help them out.

I cannot believe it takes them over 50 days to acknowledge an application. This is simply irresponsible and arrogant.

Interesting statistics is that when I applied for OCI and got it in March (start to end in 3 weeks), they had processed 3500 apps from Jan to Mar. Currently from May till Oct they have received only 5000 apps. I dont know why they call it overwhelmed. I smell something fishy.

Looks like Houston has started moving. Currently they have granted most of the cases until May 12.
Update: Houston started processing May 17th cases

rpranesh, how do you check the latest approval dates? Share the secret? :)

Power of technology :) I will share the dates frequently.

GCGolMol: What Gol Mol did you do to get your GC?

Update: Mostly done until May 19th, processing May 20-24 cases.

Case status

Power of technology :) I will share the dates frequently.

GCGolMol: What Gol Mol did you do to get your GC?

Update: Mostly done until May 19th, processing May 20-24 cases.

Hi,What do you mean by processing May 20-24 cases, does it mean "Date Of Acknowledgment" ?

Sounds right!

Any idea why they are so stuck? My date is 6/30 so I should not expect anything for next 4 months?

That sounds about right. My application was received on April 28th, 2010. I saw the application was granted on the 5th of this month and printed on the 15th. They were sent to the mission on the 19th of October. Hopefully will get it soon, after a wait of almost 6 months!

I can see that Houston is Ack around 100-150 OCI application every day. Interesting thing some cases do not have Online Application number. How do these people apply? Also there are other applicants who have a much later Online number (than my wife's number) and it has been acknowledged for them.

File no progress
10/6 - USAH01214110
10/7 - USAH01227910

My thoughts on this, most people go online and print out the form. The numbers are assigned at that time. However, people send this in at different times, the acknowledgment will be based on that.

sgsnathan and liveandletlive, you guys applied for Surrender certificate also along with OCI ? I applied in June and mine got returned as I was told to apply once I get surr cert. Though my surr cert is in process, they don't want to wait untill then

My thoughts on this, most people go online and print out the form. The numbers are assigned at that time. However, people send this in at different times, the acknowledgment will be based on that.

I did send it on 6/30. They took almost 2 months to acknowledge the same. That sucks.

sgsnathan and liveandletlive, you guys applied for Surrender certificate also along with OCI ? I applied in June and mine got returned as I was told to apply once I get surr cert. Though my surr cert is in process, they don't want to wait untill then

I had applied for SC before OCI. I sent the SC copy with OCI application.

Thanks Liveandletlive.

That means, even when you apply with Surr Cert, it is talking more than 3 months processing time. I wonder if PIO card process is any faster. I have to think whether I need to go for VISA or PIO once I get my surr cert in hand.

I had applied for SC before OCI. I sent the SC copy with OCI application.

hey everyone.. i need some help with the photos for dv lottery.. i mean i dont wanna get disqualified if i dont meet those requirements.. can you all suggest where can i get the picture clicked professionally with all the preferred size n resolution

It seems Indian Government (NIC) does not want to allow technology users to find the current processing dates. They put in a trivial MD5 checksum to prevent finding the overall status. This should be easy for me to overcome, however it looks like the Intent was to prevent scanning and overloading their servers. So I am going to stop scanning and honor their intent.