OCI - Houston Tracker

If the status indicates that the application has been acknowledged, does this mean that all the paperwork was in order?
What message is displayed on the status page if any documents are missing or something was NOT in order? How does the consulate inform an individual if something else is needed or was missing?

I believe an application is acknowledged only when everything is in order and is eligible to be processed for OCI.

If anything is missing or not quite in order, from what I have read in this forum, the entire application is returned.

So, you should be OK.

My application is finally acknowleged on 06/05. I sent my application on 04/17 so they should have got it by 04/20. My processing time for ack is around 6 weeks.

Now what next.

Can somebody please list what all changes and approx timeframe for each change we will see on the online status. Right now my registration status is showing as 'under process'.

Thanks in advance.

My application is finally acknowleged on 06/05. I sent my application on 04/17 so they should have got it by 04/20. My processing time for ack is around 6 weeks.

Now what next.

Can somebody please list what all changes and approx timeframe for each change we will see on the online status. Right now my registration status is showing as 'under process'.

Thanks in advance.

If all goes well, in the next 4-5 days, you should see your application move through

photo/Signature scanned -> registration status granted -> documents printed -> documents dispatched from Delhi

and then after another 1 to 2 weeks to 'docs received at Houston' at which time you can send in your passports (or go there personally) to get OCI booklets and U-visa stickers.

Photos signatures scanned today.

Application (for family and myself) mailed on 04/04/08 (+0 days)
Application received at Consulate / Houston 04/07/08 (+3 days)
Acknowledgement date 05/28/08 (+54 days)
Photos/Signatures scanned on 6/12/08 (+69 days)

For anyone interested, I have written a small utility that polls the Indian Embassy OCI Status website occassionally, automatically (atleast once a day) and automatically emails you when the status gets updated from a previous state. You only need to provide the utility your OCI Web Registration numbers and email address.
This way you don't need to waste your time checking the website everyday!

I could post the utility to this blog/website if there is enough interest.

Amazing!

All hail Desi ingenuity! the status check tool is a great idea. please post it.

Nred

For anyone interested, I have written a small utility that polls the Indian Embassy OCI Status website occassionally, automatically (atleast once a day) and automatically emails you when the status gets updated from a previous state. You only need to provide the utility your OCI Web Registration numbers and email address.

That is a nice idea. Another thing that might be useful, status check website uses querystring to pass reg number. So when you go to that page and enter your info and hit submit, check the URL of the returned page. Then bookmark that URL. Next time, you open that bookmark, it will get the latest information. Saves entering information each time. :)

My OCI application was 'acknowledged' today - about 15 days before I thought it will be!!

That was fast!! :) Good for you. It took them 2 mo,1 week to ack for us. Now it is more than 17 days since they have received passports for stamp still have not received it back :(

First off Congrats obajaj!

Do we know what the criterion the applications are processed... I see that there are several applications that are acknowledged on 14 are still no action those (verified with hack put in here earlier).

With our experience last year and with other friends' application, I was under impression that they processed application in order of acknowledge number. Apparently not!

My son's ack date is 27th May..hoping there will be some movement on it soon.

Also, we will be traveling to India in about 3 months time on OCI. Do we have to carry the booklet that comes with the approval or U-Visa sticker in US Passport good enough?

thanks in advance!
s_a_kumar

First off Congrats obajaj!

Also, we will be traveling to India in about 3 months time on OCI. Do we have to carry the booklet that comes with the approval or U-Visa sticker in US Passport good enough?

thanks in advance!
s_a_kumar

If you are going just as a tourist and to visit family, there is no need to carry the OCI booklet. If you plan to do any property or other major financial transactions, then it may be advisable to carry the booklet.

That was fast!! :) Good for you. It took them 2 mo,1 week to ack for us. Now it is more than 17 days since they have received passports for stamp still have not received it back :(

Wow! 17 days and still no response? I have seen some posters from other embassies (SF, particularly) who got it back in less than a week.

Hopefully, you'll get it back within the next 1 week.

wrong projections!

My projections made after using the hack have fallen flat. End of may acknowledgments have not moved while June dates are flying by.

My guess, the officer who started on the May files is on leave. And since he/she touched the files, no one will dare deal with them!

So much for my excitement!!

Nred:p

s_a_kumar

On OCI, you need to carry both, US passport and OCI booklet. Just US passport with sticker is not enough.

Wow! 17 days and still no response? I have seen some posters from other embassies (SF, particularly) who got it back in less than a week.

Hopefully, you'll get it back within the next 1 week.

I hope so too. I get worried as our US and Indian passports are with them. Can't even travel out of country for emergency.

SF is really fast and good. Houston is the worst. They do not pick up phone, no reply to email/fax and very slow processing. My app had reached them 3rd week of Feb. This is almost June end !!!

On OCI, you need to carry both, US passport and OCI booklet. Just US passport with sticker is not enough.

That is not correct. As I have said before, if you are going just as a tourist (and/or just to visit the family), the visa sticker on the passport is enough. My son is currently in India - we just got OCI status in March '08 - and he didn't take his OCI booklet with him. Many other friends have been to India and back without having to carry OCI booklet.

If you are going to do any property or major financial/investment transactions, then carrying the OCI booklet makes sense where it may be required.

Here is an official advisory from the Indian Embassy at Washington, D.C.

http://indianembassy.org/newsite/oci.asp

ATTENTION:

IN ORDER TO AVOID PROBLEMS AT THE INDIAN IMMIGRATION INCLUDING DENIAL OF ENTRY INTO INDIA, THE OCI CARD HOLDERS ARE REQUESTED TO CARRY THE PASSPORT WHERE THE 'U' VISA STICKER IS PASTED TOGETHER WITH THE OCI REGISTRATION CARD WHEN TRAVELING TO INDIA.

IN CASE THE 'U' VISA IS STAMPED ON THE PASSPORT WHICH HAS SINCE EXPIRED, THEN THE OCI CARD HOLDERS MUST CARRY BOTH THE CURRENT PASSPORT AS WELL AS THE EXPIRED PASSPORT WHERE THE 'U' VISA IS PASTED ALONG WITH THE OCI REGISTRATION CARD. ALTERNATIVELY, OCI MISCELLANEOUS SERVICES CAN BE AVAILED FOR TRANSFERRING THE 'U' VISA TO CURRENT PASSPORT WELL IN ADVANCE BEFORE DEPARTURE TO INDIA.

What is the big deal in carrying both? Its not like you are carrying gold! nor a 20 lb brick! Come on people, use your head.

Nred

To satisfy the crowd, here is the advisory from Indian consulate, Houston.
http://www.cgihouston.org/OverseasCitizenship.html

NOTICE
While traveling to India OCI Card holders must carry the OCI Card as well as their nationality passport on which ‘U’ Visa has been affixed. In case the OCI Card holder has obtained new passport after expiry of the validity of the passport on which ‘U’ Visa had been affixed, he/she must carry both the old and the new passport along with the OCI Card for entry into India.

Lets' not use anecdotal evidence, the immigration people manning the desks are not rocket scientists.

Nred

My projections made after using the hack have fallen flat. End of may acknowledgments have not moved while June dates are flying by.

My guess, the officer who started on the May files is on leave. And since he/she touched the files, no one will dare deal with them!

So much for my excitement!!

Nred:p

Nred! What are you OCI dates/timeline?