OCI - Houston Tracker

Done and Over ........

We received our passports with the OCI stamp this afternoon.

I sent an email and fax yesterday stating that we need HELP since we were leaving to India by 26th June. Received a prompt reply from Houston that our passports will be despatched immdtly would reach us the next day (that is today).

Thanks to all...this is a wonderful forum to keep track of what is happening and how we should work around things.

===========================
N-400
PD: 01/04/07
FP: 02/01/07
ID: 03/13/2007 - same day oath

Passport Appled: 03/24/07
Passport Recieved: 04/05/07
Indian Psprt Cancellation: 4/07/07 - at Visa Camp
=======================
Filled Online : 04/09/07
Sent Part A & Part B : 04/11/07
Recd at Houston: 04/13/07
Date of Acknowledgment : 04/30/07
Photo/Signature Scanned : 05/08/07
Registration status Granted : 05/22/07
Documents Printed : 05/22/07
Documents Despatched From Delhi : 05/22/07
Documents Received at Houston : 06/01/07
Passport Mailed to Houston : 06/09/07 - Recd at Houston 0n 06/11/07
Passport + OCI booklet received : 06/21/07

Question on moving after filing application

Hello,

I reside in Florida. I am planning to apply for OCI at CGI Houston. During the process, if I have to move to a new job that is outside CGI Houston serving area, will my file be transfered to a new CGI/Embassy servng that area or does my application stay with CGI Houston? Thank you.

kb

Thanks Prasad.

We are kind of Done but not completely done. We are still waiting...waiting....and waiting for our daughter's N-600.

OCI Status update

25-May-07: Filled Online
26-May-07: Sent Part A & Part B
29-May-07: Received at Houston
05-Jun-07: Date Of Acknowledgment
07-Jun-07: Photo/Signature Scanned
15-Jun-07: Registration status Granted
15-Jun-07: Documents Printed
19-Jun-07: Documents Dispatched From Delhi
22-Jun-07: Documents Received at Houston
XX-XXX-XXX: Passports Mailed to Houston
XX-XXX-XXX: Passports Reached Houston
XX-XXX-XXX: US Passport with U Visa + OCI booklet + Cancelled Indian Passport Received

I am planning to travel to houston next week to get the stamping.

Docs needed at Houston Consulate

Am getting ready to apply for OCI at the Houston consulate.
Am sending the following docs.

1. copy of US passport
2. copy of Indian passport
3. 5 photos including 2 of them affixed to the application
4. 2 copies of part A and part B
5. Cashier's check for $275+$15=$290

Am I missing anything?
What's the purpose of the self-addressed envelope? I thought the $15 fee was to mail your passports back to you!

Also, self attested would mean..I would sign & date each and every page of part A and part B copies?

Am sending it to the following address

Consulate General of India
1990 Post Oak Blvd. # 600
Three Post Oak Central,
Houston, TX-77056

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
OCI update

I got my passports stamped yesterday.

I went to the consulate around 9 AM. There were 14 people ahead of me. When I reached the window, I had to just drop off my US Passpor+Indian passport+my daughter's US passport. I was told to collect the same at 4 PM.
I returned to the consulate at 4 PM sharp. There were about 20+ people ahead of me and there was a lot of confusion. To compoung to this, the window was not opened until 4:15 due to some "technical difficulties". Once they opened the window(s), there was a separate line for the OCI pickup. There is a window with a note "OCI pickup" written. I went and gave my driver's license for identification and they handed over the passports and the OCI card(s).

It's all done. Just have to wait for my wife's Oath and OCI.

25-May-07: Filled Online
26-May-07: Sent Part A & Part B
29-May-07: Received at Houston
05-Jun-07: Date Of Acknowledgment
07-Jun-07: Photo/Signature Scanned
15-Jun-07: Registration status Granted
15-Jun-07: Documents Printed
19-Jun-07: Documents Dispatched From Delhi
22-Jun-07: Documents Received at Houston
02-Jul-07 : US Passport with U Visa + OCI booklet + Cancelled Indian Passport Received

Questions about OCI Application

I would appreciate if someone can please advise me on the following questions.

1) My family has 3 members who need to apply for OCI at the Houston consulate. Can all 3 applications be sent in one envelope or should they be sent in 3 separate envelopes? (One application is a PIO to OCI conversion and the other two are direct OCI applications ie. not conversions)

2) When buying the money order, can we combine the application fee ($275) and the mailing fee ($15) into one money order for $290 or should it be sent separately as 2 money orders?

Thanks in advance.

I am assuming that all three belong to same family. Why not use family option when filling up the form? I did the same... Filled as a family for me, wife and son (PIO to OCI conversion).

Sent application in same form and paid with one money order for all three plus $15 for mailing costs.

I initially applied around May 24 but my application was returned on June 17 th. as I forgot to include birth certificate for my little one. I resent my application and it was recd. on June 25th at CGI Houston. It is still not acknowledged yet :(

s_a_kumar

I would appreciate if someone can please advise me on the following questions.

1) My family has 3 members who need to apply for OCI at the Houston consulate. Can all 3 applications be sent in one envelope or should they be sent in 3 separate envelopes? (One application is a PIO to OCI conversion and the other two are direct OCI applications ie. not conversions)

2) When buying the money order, can we combine the application fee ($275) and the mailing fee ($15) into one money order for $290 or should it be sent separately as 2 money orders?

Thanks in advance.

email correspondence?

Does Houston consulate send emails for status updates when they receive application or while processing applications?

Thanks.

How does one get 3.5x3.5 cm photos?

How does one get 3.5x3.5 cm photos in the DFW area? All passport photo places (Walgreens, Walmart, Wolf Camera) seem to give out the standard 2"x2" photos (5x5 cm). Did you request them specifically for 3.5x3.5 cm photos?

Also, all these places take photos with a white background. I have seen a specification somewhere that the photos for OCI have to be of a "light color background (not white)". Did you guys specifically ask the studio for a non-white, light color background?

I am wondering if the consulate really cares about these specs or if it is OK to send the 2"x2" photos with a white background. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Can a parent attest the photocopies of a child's passport?

The OCI application requires that all photocopies of documents be either notarized or self-attested. In the case of a small child, can a parent do the self attestation on the child's behalf and print the parent's name and relationship to the child below the attestation? Please advise. Thank you.

Regards...

ps: I am just too lazy to find a notary in my neighborhood.;)

The OCI application requires that all photocopies of documents be either notarized or self-attested. In the case of a small child, can a parent do the self attestation on the child's behalf and print the parent's name and relationship to the child below the attestation? Please advise. Thank you.

Regards...

ps: I am just too lazy to find a notary in my neighborhood.;)

Regarding your prev question, about photos - I used the Costco's PP photos and our apps are approved. Regarding the timeline, it is the same as desi2go's (except we mailed it a couple of days later than him). I still need to get the stamping on the PP and booklet etc, since I just returned from India. I was surprised that the whole thing (except stamping) got done within a month. Houston has really stepped it up.

Regarding your other question about attestation - I have seen some cases where they do self attest (not sure if it was Houston or other consulate). What I did was - went to the bank that I bank with - they have a notary - she gave an attested copy (not a notarized copy).

check cashed

My check has not been cashed so far...

curious to know if the check gets cashed on/before/after the Date of Acknowledgement?

The only communication I recieved was an email after it was processed and to send my PP. You should be able to use your online reg # that you got for all tracking purposes. They seem to process in bunches. You should most likely get done by end of this month (atleast based on my experience - last month).

Our applications have been acknowledged as of 7/11/07. Hopefully will get to completion pretty soon.

s_a_kumar
--
Rough timeline

Sent application in one form (Family option) 2 new OCI and one PIO-OCI conversion. Paid with one money order for all three plus $15 for mailing costs.

I initially applied around May 24 but my application was returned on June 17 th. as I forgot to include birth certificate for my little one. I resent my application and it was recd. on June 25th at CGI Houston.
Form Acknowledged on 7/11/07

I am assuming that all three belong to same family. Why not use family option when filling up the form? I did the same... Filled as a family for me, wife and son (PIO to OCI conversion).

Sent application in same form and paid with one money order for all three plus $15 for mailing costs.

I initially applied around May 24 but my application was returned on June 17 th. as I forgot to include birth certificate for my little one. I resent my application and it was recd. on June 25th at CGI Houston. It is still not acknowledged yet :(

s_a_kumar

Waiting for acknowledgment

Here's the timeline for my wife (OCI) and my kid (PIO->OCI conversion)

OCI - Houston

June 18, 2007: Online Part A completion
June 20, 2007: OCI docs sent to Houston
June 22, 2007: OCI docs delivered to Houston
: Date Of Acknowledgment
: Photo/Signature Scanned
: Registration status Granted
: Documents Printed
: Documents Dispatched From Delhi
: Documents Received at Houston
: Passports Mailed to Houston
: U Visa + OCI booklet Received

How long does it take to receive the Passport and U-Visa along with OCI card. I sent my US and Indian passports over two weeks back and I am still waiting for them. I paid the overnight delivery also.
Is there a way to contact CGI, I tried calling them, but no one is picking up the phone.