OCI - Houston Tracker

Thanx for that update..
Just now sent email. BTW, what is the best option to catch some one over the phone @ Houston?

Thanx..

OCI Stamping in person at Houston

Hi,

Anyone have experience getting the OCI stamp in person at CGI Houston. Since the consulate os not too far from my house, I'm thinking of just walking in and getting my OCI card/stamp rather than mailing the passport.

Any info will be appreciated.

I would suggest to also send them an email (ocicgihouston@swbell.net) and copy it to usoci-mha@nic.in - the latter is the email address of Under Secretary (OCI) in Home Ministry. Highlight that you are copying them - that may get people's attention. Also see http://mha.nic.in/pdfs/oci-adrs.pdf

This information must be helpful to all. Thanks AKGarg.

If the application doesn't move since the receipt of the application at Houston and it is over 45 days, it is certainly advisable to start contacting the authorities and check if they need anything or what is causing the delay!

Good Luck to all.

Regards,

Kumar

Hi,

Anyone have experience getting the OCI stamp in person at CGI Houston. Since the consulate os not too far from my house, I'm thinking of just walking in and getting my OCI card/stamp rather than mailing the passport.

Any info will be appreciated.

Since you r in Houston, I would strongly suggest going in person. People are going from Dallas to get the stamp in person. See my experience about mailing the passport in this thread (sometime in Aug/Sep 2007). Good luck.

06/06/09 : OCI Online registration.
06/08/09 : Mailed Completed OCI package to Houston by USPS Overnight mail. Cropped 2" X 2" Passport size photos to 3.5 X 3.5 cm.
06/09/09 : Delivered by USPS.
06/12/09 : Acknowledged, File(Acknowledgment) No. available online. Registration status : Under Process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Process Complete

My OCI app at Houston:

Mailed: 05/14/09
Acknowledged : 05/20/09
Granted: 06/02/09
Printed: 06/03/09
Despatched to Houston: 06/04/09
Received at Houston: 06/10/09
OCI Stamped: 06/12/09 (in person from CGI Houston)

My process is complete....took less than a month....very smooth :D:D:D

HI Why R2,

I might also apply for OCI mostly.

Heres what I have understood so far ..

a> Register Online..
b> Take printout of Part A and Part B both..Take two copies as we have to create two packages
c> Which package should include the fee for OCI? How did you make the fees? Was it money order?Did you mail the two sets seperately or Did you send them together.?
d> We need to submit photocopies of both passports correct?Indian as well as USA passport?Just the front and back pages for both ..correct?
e> and then 4 photographs ( 2 with each application)

Did I miss anything..

Thanks
Shanks

OCI application

HI Why R2,

I might also apply for OCI mostly.

Heres what I have understood so far ..

a> Register Online..
b> Take printout of Part A and Part B both..Take two copies as we have to create two packages
c> Which package should include the fee for OCI? How did you make the fees? Was it money order?Did you mail the two sets seperately or Did you send them together.?
d> We need to submit photocopies of both passports correct?Indian as well as USA passport?Just the front and back pages for both ..correct?
e> and then 4 photographs ( 2 with each application)

Did I miss anything..

Thanks
Shanks

I made two package, enclosed it in the same envelope. The cashier's check/mo enclosed in the same envelope, cover letter mentioning your application and enclosures etc. Photocopies of both foreign (e.g. U.S.) passport and Indian passport with the pages with only personal details, self attested and 5 photos 3.5 x 3.5 cm.

Part A filled online and Part B to be filled out in Block (Capital) letters only. Part B is common for all applicants in the family and part B is separate. Pasted one photo on parts A and enclosed the remaining 3 photos with the application.

Keep copies of whatever you submit.

Good Luck

I sent in my paper work in 12/08. I haven't heard anything from the houston embassy. I lost the copy of paper work I had with me along with the file number. Is there some way of checking status with out file number. I tried calling the houston consulate. No response. should I start the process all over again?

Thank You

Dear All:

I checked my status online and OCI is Granted. :)

I sent them additional $20 for the mailing charges. Can anyone advise how do they return our stamped passport with OCI card? By USPS or FedEx if we have added $20 instead of sending a self addressed prepaid envelope?

Thanks,

Kumar

As per previous posts in the forum they send it by Fedex.

Dear All:

I checked my status online and OCI is Granted. :)

I sent them additional $20 for the mailing charges. Can anyone advise how do they return our stamped passport with OCI card? By USPS or FedEx if we have added $20 instead of sending a self addressed prepaid envelope?

Thanks,

Kumar

Thanks a lot Kumar.

Appreciate all the info..

Shanks
Hi Shanks1975 ,

As Kumar mentioned you need to make two sets of docs.

I enclosed below 2 sets of copies along with cashier's check & covering letter - Btw, I sent 4 photos (2 attached & 2stapled) as per latest HOUSTON consulate
FAQ.

Good Luck.

Form XIX - Part "A" with Pasted photos for all the family
Form XIX - Part "B" with one set for all the family
Stapled 2 photos for each in the family (4 members)
Photo copy of Cashier's check
Current US Passport for all in the family (4 members)
Marriage Certificate (as my wife's last name during US Naturalization process) Proof
Our Indian Passports (only needed pages - refer HOUSTON FAQ)
Kids (US Born) Birth Certificates
Daughter's PIO card

Why-R2....You can just use your online registration number on the website. It will show you all the details with that including your File #
Gopackgo,

Congrats in completing OCI process so quick!!! Getting the stuff from INDIAN government within a month AWESOME ACHEIVEMENT & GREAT DEAL OF LUCK.

Anyway, I mailed our OCI packet 10 days back and I still don't see any status update and the message says the application is not yet ack'ed. Do you know how long normally it takes to see our status on-line ?

Thanks,

OCI process

Gopackgo,

Congrats in completing OCI process so quick!!! Getting the stuff from INDIAN government within a month AWESOME ACHEIVEMENT & GREAT DEAL OF LUCK.

Anyway, I mailed our OCI packet 10 days back and I still don't see any status update and the message says the application is not yet ack'ed. Do you know how long normally it takes to see our status on-line ?

Thanks,

I am not sure, but it differs case by case. For me, I sent my application by Express Mail and was acknowledged in 3 days. Once your documents reach New Delhi and your process begins, you'll be able to see the status online.

Gopackgo,

Thanks,

Why-R2...Thanks...Yes...even I was surprised the Indian Govt worked so efficiently !!! In my case...I saw the acknowledgement status 6 days after mailing my app. As skumar has pointed out, once your file reaches Delhi and is in the system, you should be able to see a status update.

As a side note...I believe I sent a cover letter with my app that very clearly and in detail listed all the documents that were included in my application packet. I am not aure if that helped in processing timelines...but I'll take what ever worked !!

Good luck with your app.

Thanks Kumar & Gopackgo for the info. I 'm just curious, once you mail the application to Houston, do they fax/scan or mail the app to New Delhi ?
Since your applications were acknowledged less than a week, can I assume this may be electronic transmission ?

My OCI timeline

Here is my OCI timeline. Seems like Houston CGI is very efficient.

Application sent by Fedex – 5May09
Received by Houston 7May09
Date of Acknowledgement 14May09
Photo/signature scanned 16May09
Registration status – Granted 2Jun09
Documents printed – 2Jun09
Docs dispatched from Delhi – 4Jun09
Docs received at Houston – 10Jun09
US passports sent to Houston by Fedex – 11Jun09
Received US pp and OCI by Fedex – 16Jun09