REGISTRATION STATUS - GRANTED APRIL 24, 2009
4/27/2009 doc printed
4/28/2009 doc dispatched
5/05/2009 doc received in Chicago
5/06/2009 Passports mailed to Chicago Consulate
5/08/2009 Passports received @ Chicago Consulate
5/11/2009 Passports & OCIs mailed by Chicago Consulate
5/12/2009 Passports & OCIs received from Chicago Consulate

I kind of scanned through various threads but couldn’t find what I am looking for. May be mine is a unique case. Also, let me know if this is not the right thread to post and point me towards the right thread.

1. Firstly, we are citizens of India and our interview for US Naturalization is scheduled in 2 weeks (1/22/09). However, the idea is to apply for OCI as soon as the interview/ oath are done and after receiving the US passports.
2. The question that I have is, my spouse Indian passport is getting expired in a week’s time (01/14) and we are not sure whether to renew it sending it to Indian Consulate in Chicago or wait for my US Citizenship process to be completed? Do I need a valid Indian passport from Interview date thru US Passport receive date? Would there be a problem if the passport is expired recently?
3. Also, to apply for OCI, is passport one of the documents to be submitted? Does it need to be valid?

I know that once we get the US passport, we need to cancel the Indian passport and apply for OCI but I am not sure if I go through the efforts of renewal to get it cancelled. Can someone help me with the recommendations/suggestions?

Similar case here… I got my oci yesterday. Good luck.

My Indian passport had expired for over 1 month when I had my oath. I sent the expired passport to CGI for cancellation when I applied for Indian visa. I think there is no need to renew Indian passport if you are very close to oath date.

OCI- Returned for resend passport copies again

My OCI application was returned asking to resend clear photo copies of the passports.

If you have sent OCI application since June 15th then please post your timeline. I sent OCI on June 25th to Chicago Consulate but it has not been acknowledged yet.

My wife's application was sent on June 18th. See timeline below.

Ack: 7/1
Scanned: 7/1
Granted: 7/8
Printed: 7/8
Mailed from Delhi: 7/10
Yet to receive in Chicago

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine has been acknowledged today

Case File Opened 06/23/2009
OCI Application sent 06/25/2009
OCI Application received by US Consulate Chicago on 06/30/2009

Date Of Acknowledgment 14-JUL-2009
Application Status
Registration Status UnderProcess
Documents Printing Status NOT PRINTED
Documents Despatched From Delhi On NOT DISPATCHED
Documents Received at CHICAGO NOT YET

If you have sent OCI application since June 15th then please post your timeline. I sent OCI on June 25th to Chicago Consulate but it has not been acknowledged yet.

Redelivery notice at chicago consulate for PIO app

I sent my PIO application by Express mail and a delivery was attempted on 1st Aug (Saturday). Since the consulate was closed, my tracking says that a redelivery notice (a peach colored slip) was left with them. Now I am not sure how actively the consulates follow redelivery notices on their own. I called USPS and they said, I, the sender cannot ask them to redeliver, the redelivery request should come from the consulate. I know, in the worst case the application will be sent back to me by USPS after a week or so, but I would like to avoid this, since this will be a waste of time. I asked USPS customer service and got conflicting responses, one said that they will not redeliver unless they hear from consulate and another said that they will attempt to redeliver . Has anyone run into this situation and can share their experience?

From the USPS website:
Express Mail®:

§ If the letter carrier cannot deliver the item, they will leave a PS Form 3849, Delivery Attempt Notice (there are no automatic redelivery attempts made after the first attempt for Express Mail). If the customer does not schedule a Redelivery or does not visit their local Post Office™ to retrieve the item, a second PS Form 3849 will be left on the 3rd calendar day after the initial attempt.

§ If you do not pick up the item from the item from the Post Office or schedule a Redelivery by the close of business five (5) calendar days from the first attempted delivery, the Express Mail item will be returned to the sender.

So looks like for Express mail, USPS will not redeliver, unless receiver asks them to. Now my question is, how actively does the consulate follow up on redelivery notices?
I am hoping they have an incoming mail handling dept that handles such things. But then again it's the Indian consulate, given the volume and everything, you just don't know. Damn USPS express mail, for an express price, you would think they would at least attempt a redelivery everyday for the five days.

Don't worry, it will be delivered today (Monday)
Just an update, it was delivered on 08/03 - Monday, but status was updated only today 08/04 and nobody at 1-800-ASK-USPS had any idea about the status. Another thing that came to light in another forum is that USPS will not deliver to consulates/USCIS etc. on holidays, Sat/Sun. But still updates the tracking status as: 'a delivery was attempted and a notice was left', for lack of status codes or something. Then will go on to deliver it the next business day. I guess it must be a quick hack suggested by a lazy IT guy, one of us. ;-)

PIO card in 5 days! Chicago consulate

Chicago consulate received my PIO application on 08/03/09 and I received it on 08/07/09!!!. This has to be the fastest. According to the stamp on my PIO card, it was issued on 08/03 itself!

Adding my OCI timeline:

08/15/09 : OCI App Mailed to Chicago (USPS Priority Certified Mail)
08/18/09 : OCI App received
08/31/09 : Date of Acknowledgment
09/02/09 : Photo/Signature Scanned
09/04/09 : Registration Status Granted
09/04/09 : Documents Printed
09/08/09 : Documents despatched from Delhi
09/16/09 : Documents Received at Chicago Consulate
09/16/09 : Passports mailed to Chicago Consulate (USPS Express Mail)
09/17/09 : Passports received @ Chicago Consulate
09/24/09 : Application Granted Confirmation email from Indian Consulate
09/24/09 : Passports & OCIs mailed by Chicago Consulate (USPS Express Mail)
09/25/09 : Passports & OCIs received from Chicago Consulate

Congrats

Can you tell us what was the background on your photo? I took photos from Walgreens and the background is off-white. Not sure if my photo will be accepted.

OCI - Photo size confusion

OCI - Photo size confusion

I filled in Part A. Part B printed along with it. On Part B - it says that the photos cannot be less than 51 * 51 mm ......... all over this forum, members are suggesting 35 * 35 mm ...... Any ideas? Have they changed the photo requirements?

OCI Photos

If it helps, I took my photos at CVS. Off-white background in US Passport size (2x2”). I guess as long as the features are clearly visible you should be fine.