OCI - Chicago Tracker

How long does it take for the consulate to mail the OCI back with Passport

I sent it on Monday 12/1 and was delivered 12/2 to Consulate. How long does it take for them to mail it back/?

OCI Document Notarization Question for Chicago

I am sending in the documents for OCI at Chicago.

I am applying for Me , Wife and 2 kids (Age 6 and 10).

I am not clear as to If I need to notarize any documents if any.

Please any recent filers can anser my query?

What documents/pages I need to notarize?

Thank You

Notorization not needed

I am sending in the documents for OCI at Chicago.

I am applying for Me , Wife and 2 kids (Age 6 and 10).

I am not clear as to If I need to notarize any documents if any.

Please any recent filers can anser my query?

What documents/pages I need to notarize?

Thank You

I do not remember notorizing any documents when sending it to them.

OCI questions

I am preparing to send my family OCI application to Chicago consulate. I read all posts in this thread and I did not find answers to my questions. Please any recent filers can answer my questions.

1. My kids were born in US, so previous nationality is not applicable for
them. In part A, do i need to select the previous country as US or skip the question?
2. Some instructions recommend color photographs taken against a light
background (Not white). But OCI FORM XIX says color photographs on white
background. Is white background ok?
3. Can I answer Yes to the following question (in Part B):
Does the country (USA) of applicant permit dual citizenship in some form or
the other?
4. Do I need to attach a self addressed stamped USPS EXPRESS MAIL
envelope for returning the card later?
5. Do I need to self attest the passport copies?

06/19/08 : Notice Date.
06/24/08 : NOA Received ( I-797C)
06/28/08 : FP Notice Received ( I-797C).
07/11/08 : FP Appointment - Complete.
09/13/08 : Interview Letter Received.
10/21/08 : Interview Date.
11/21/08 : Oath completed.
11/22/08: Passport applied.
12/05/08: Passport received.

See the answers for some questions

see the answers below
I am preparing to send my family OCI application to Chicago consulate. I read all posts in this thread and I did not find answers to my questions. Please any recent filers can answer my questions.

1. My kids were born in US, so previous nationality is not applicable for
them. In part A, do i need to select the previous country as US or skip the question?
2. Some instructions recommend color photographs taken against a light
background (Not white). But OCI FORM XIX says color photographs on white
background. Is white background ok?
3. Can I answer Yes to the following question (in Part B):
Does the country (USA) of applicant permit dual citizenship in some form or
the other? "YES"
4. Do I need to attach a self addressed stamped USPS EXPRESS MAIL
envelope for returning the card later? Do not send any self addressed mail. Just mail with the mailing fees and when the OCI is ready you will send the PPs and they will mail it via USPS overnight.
5. Do I need to self attest the passport copies? No.

Thanks for quick response

Hi aravind741,
Thanks for your quick response. Did you use white background color for your OCI photographs?

i asked my friend to take the picture. it was a light white bakground. you can go to walgreens and take it.
Hi aravind741,
Thanks for your quick response. Did you use white background color for your OCI photographs?

Famliy of 4 - 3 progressing and one stuck in Granted

Hello dip123,

I am in the same boat as you were regarding OCI processing at Chicago. I have applied for OCI for my wife, myself and 2 kids recently. My kids' and my OCI have already been printed and dispacthed from Delhi - however my wife's application is stuck in the "Granted" stage.

I am wondering if this will resolve itself with time or you had to follow up with the CGI to resolve it.

Thanks in advance for your help,

SJ
My OCI was granted on Sept 12th ma sn so was my families. Hwoever, their documents were printed and dispatched from Delhi on sept 18th, but my application still says granted.
Whom should I contact?
Is there a Chicago consulate e-mail?
The phone number does not seem to work. It just rings or comes as busy.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Dip123

Online print Page 3 and 6 blank

I completed Part A online and printed it along with Part B and Instructions. Page 3 of 11 and Page 6 of 11 are blank. Did anyone had similar issue?
12/05/08: Passport received

Application delivered in Chicago

I completed Part A online and printed it along with Part B and Instructions. Page 3 of 11 and Page 6 of 11 are blank. I discarded blank pages and sent only valid Part A, Part B and other required attachments to Chicago Consulate.
Photo/Signature Scanned: 06-JAN-2009
Registration Status Granted:08-JAN-2009
Documents Printed:09-JAN-2009
Application Granted Confirmation email from Indian Consulate:12-JAN-2009
Documents despatched from Delhi:12-JAN-2009
Documents Received at Chicago Consulate:

Last edited by a moderator:
Son's OCI is stuck on granted

I applied my wife's and Son's OCI as family application. I already got my wife's OCI and my son's OCI is stuck on granted status.
When they sent my wife's OCI, they sent a letter saying that i need to send new photograph and new fingerprint of my son. They told to scan (????) photograph and fingerprint and send them in e-mail. I called them to ask what is the reason and they said just send as you have instructed, as he didnot know what could be the reason.
Now after weeks of e-mailing them new photograph and fingerprint - no response. I'm calling them again and they are saying you have to send photograph and fingerprint in mail.
Anyone with similar experience? any input? any idea what could be the reason for asking photos and fingerprint in e-mail?

I applied my wife's and Son's OCI as family application. I already got my wife's OCI and my son's OCI is stuck on granted status.
When they sent my wife's OCI, they sent a letter saying that i need to send new photograph and new fingerprint of my son. They told to scan (????) photograph and fingerprint and send them in e-mail. I called them to ask what is the reason and they said just send as you have instructed, as he didnot know what could be the reason.
Now after weeks of e-mailing them new photograph and fingerprint - no response. I'm calling them again and they are saying you have to send photograph and fingerprint in mail.
Anyone with similar experience? any input? any idea what could be the reason for asking photos and fingerprint in e-mail?

We had the same problem... I had to email the consulate repeatedly to finally get the request for digital pics (jpg) and scanned signatures. After this was sent, it took another 4 weeks before my status changed:rolleyes: to scanned and printed. Now it has been dispatched. Hope to get it in the next 1-2 weeks!

Passport expired

I kind of scanned through various threads but couldn’t find what I am looking for. May be mine is a unique case. Also, let me know if this is not the right thread to post and point me towards the right thread.

1. Firstly, we are citizens of India and our interview for US Naturalization is scheduled in 2 weeks (1/22/09). However, the idea is to apply for OCI as soon as the interview/ oath are done and after receiving the US passports.
2. The question that I have is, my spouse Indian passport is getting expired in a week’s time (01/14) and we are not sure whether to renew it sending it to Indian Consulate in Chicago or wait for my US Citizenship process to be completed? Do I need a valid Indian passport from Interview date thru US Passport receive date? Would there be a problem if the passport is expired recently?
3. Also, to apply for OCI, is passport one of the documents to be submitted? Does it need to be valid?

I know that once we get the US passport, we need to cancel the Indian passport and apply for OCI but I am not sure if I go through the efforts of renewal to get it cancelled. Can someone help me with the recommendations/suggestions?

I kind of scanned through various threads but couldn’t find what I am looking for. May be mine is a unique case. Also, let me know if this is not the right thread to post and point me towards the right thread.

1. Firstly, we are citizens of India and our interview for US Naturalization is scheduled in 2 weeks (1/22/09). However, the idea is to apply for OCI as soon as the interview/ oath are done and after receiving the US passports.
2. The question that I have is, my spouse Indian passport is getting expired in a week’s time (01/14) and we are not sure whether to renew it sending it to Indian Consulate in Chicago or wait for my US Citizenship process to be completed? Do I need a valid Indian passport from Interview date thru US Passport receive date? Would there be a problem if the passport is expired recently?
3. Also, to apply for OCI, is passport one of the documents to be submitted? Does it need to be valid?

I know that once we get the US passport, we need to cancel the Indian passport and apply for OCI but I am not sure if I go through the efforts of renewal to get it cancelled. Can someone help me with the recommendations/suggestions?

Having an expired Indian passport at the time of applying for OCI will not have an adverse effect on OCI processing. I sent copy of my old/expired Indian passport with my OCI application and there were no issues.

Question about collecting OCI documents via mail

My family OCI documents are received at Chicago Consulate on 16-JAN-2009. I am planning to collect these documents via mail. I will send Indian/US passports, PIO card, copy of status page. Do I need to complete, sign and send FORM XVII renunciation of citizenship form OR just write a letter with signature to cancel our indian passport? Please any recent OCI receivers via mail can answer my question.
Documents Received at Chicago Consulate: 16-JAN-2009

Passports & OCIs received from Chicago Consulate

Received all Family member's Indian Passports/PIO-Cancelled, US Passports with OCI visa stickers, OCI books/Documents. Total time to get our OCIs is 35 days. :)
Documents Received at Chicago Consulate: 16-JAN-2009
Passports mailed to Chicago Consulate (Priority, Return receipt(Electronic) Certified Mail): 17-JAN-2009
Passports received @ Chicago Consulate: 20-JAN-2009
Passports & OCIs mailed by Chicago Consulate (USPS Express Mail): 22-JAN-2009
Passports & OCIs received from Chicago Consulate: 23-JAN-2009

OCI Process complete

I picked up our OCI booklets and had our passports canceled at the consulate. The drop off/pick up was quick and straightforward. This was the easy part- as I'm sure a lot of folks know. Getting the OCI was the complicated part. Here is a timeline:

12-Nov-2008: Mailed OCI applications to Chicago
11-Dec-2008: Applications acknowledged in Delhi
16-Dec-2008: Application granted

then nothing....no print, no dispatch etc.

Mid Jan. '09, I called and emailed consulate and finally got in touch with someone who indicated that our signatures and photos were not clear. Great- how was supposed to know that.
Anyway, they recommended we scan and email our photos and signatures to them. In early Feb'09, finally, got new photos and sent in the scans via email. Our applications were acknowledged again and printed, dispatched and received in Chicago recently. Done. Finally - hopefully ;)