OCI - Chicago Tracker

some progress

Hi,

My online status shows - underprocess dated Jul 9 2007.

So it has moved and there is hope.
My application reached Chicago on march 20th 2007.

Hopefully all of our issues are taken care of soon.

Any updates?

Any further updates from Chicago? This is totally ridiculous. Its been close to 4 months for me and there is no news at all. Wonder if it helps to go down to the consulate and enquire in person. Anyone try that? Thx

Any further updates from Chicago? This is totally ridiculous. Its been close to 4 months for me and there is no news at all. Wonder if it helps to go down to the consulate and enquire in person. Anyone try that? Thx

It worked for me. If I hadn't gone there, I guess I would have been in the same boat. However, I met couple of guys there who came to consulate 3rd/4th time and were completely frustrated with consulate dealings. They were asked to come back in a week. No guarantees, but worth a try. My 2 cents.

P.S.: go between 4 and 5 PM.

I called up the consulate this morning and supposedly it is now taking them 6 months to process the applications. My application reached on Apr 6th, so the lady said call back in about 2 months.

I called up the consulate this morning and supposedly it is now taking them 6 months to process the applications. My application reached on Apr 6th, so the lady said call back in about 2 months.

Can we complain to somebody regarding these inefficient people?. May be indian news organizations or Indian government. If all of us do it at the sametime may be somebody will listen. It's a joke that one consulate is processing in a month and the other one is taking 6 months. Just because we happened to be in their jurisdiction we are getting penalized.

no change instatus after"underprocess"

but i think 6months wait time would indicate only September...so we just have to wait.
I hope it does not take any longer.

My status just changed to granted ,scanned and printed - Aug 8 2007.

Not dispatched from Delhi yet.

so things are moving

documents have been dispatched from Delhi on Aug 11.
Process
sent app March 20th.
ack no recd on July 9th
docs scanned and printed on Aug 8th
sent from Delhi on Aug 11th
Not yet recd at Chicago.

This is the rough timeline for those who have applied at the Chicago consulate.

question to radvee

i have received my us passport yesterday.

i have to apply for oci in chicago

what size photo did you use to send to chicago and also what type of background color did you use and how many photos.

regular passport photos taken at any place that does passport photos is fine.
I got mine at Costco.

It seems they are currently processing applications dated around March 10th. My application reached Chicago on April 6. The lady said hopefully you should get an acknowledgement number in another 15-20 days. She asked to hold on to the mailing confirmation slip. If you are planning to call up the consulate, I would suggest early on in the morning between 9-10. I could never get through after that time. Hope you guys are having better luck than me.

OCI Application Suspended in CHICAGO

From the Consulate website - opening page (http://chicago.indianconsulate.com/)

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR OCI APPLICANTS
RECEIPT OF FRESH OCI APPLICATIONS HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED, TILL FURTHER NOTICE, BY THIS CONSULATE. THIS HAS BEEN DONE TO UPDATE OUR RECORDS/ACCOUNTS FOR OCI DOCUMENTS ALREADY ISSUED TO APPLICANTS AS WELL AS TO CLEAR THE APPLICATIONS ALREADY RECEIVED. INCONVENIENCE THUS CAUSED IS REGRETTED. APPLICANTS ARE REQUESTED TO COOPERATE BY NOT MAILING FRESH APPLICATIONS TILL FURTHER NOTICE

OCI Application Suspended in CHICAGO

From the Consulate website - opening page (http://chicago.indianconsulate.com/)

IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR OCI APPLICANTS
RECEIPT OF FRESH OCI APPLICATIONS HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED, TILL FURTHER NOTICE, BY THIS CONSULATE. THIS HAS BEEN DONE TO UPDATE OUR RECORDS/ACCOUNTS FOR OCI DOCUMENTS ALREADY ISSUED TO APPLICANTS AS WELL AS TO CLEAR THE APPLICATIONS ALREADY RECEIVED. INCONVENIENCE THUS CAUSED IS REGRETTED. APPLICANTS ARE REQUESTED TO COOPERATE BY NOT MAILING FRESH APPLICATIONS TILL FURTHER NOTICE

I mentioned the issues at Chicago consulate to a MP who recently visited Detroit. He said he is going to follow up and send them a letter advising them to finish the processing in 2 months. Hopefully he did something to cause this action by the consulate.

Last edited by a moderator:
applied for oci still havent received any number

my dad applied on feb 1 got the File(Acknowledgment) No on march 15

my friend applied for his family on may 20th.

still he hasnt received his File(Acknowledgment) No.

how long does it take

i have also applied last month

how long does it take

Chicago Consulate not accepting new OCI applications

Does any body have any clue when Chicago Consulate will accept new applications again?

It is done ... Finally

:) I finally got my OCI; Here is my timeline.
Documents sent April 15, 2007
Documents Acknowledged September 14, 2007
Documents Scanned September 14, 2007
Documents printed September 17, 2007
Documents dispatched from Delhi September 21, 2007
Documents Received by Consulate September 27, 2007

I got the OCI sticker by visting the consulate in person October 2, 2007
Had to take ack. slip, as well as old passports for cancellation.:)

Time to pickup OCI

can you clarify few questions for me please?

1. Website on the Chicago consulate shows 2 timings, 4 to 5 PM and then in the summary as 2 to 4 pm. Which is correct?
2. What kind of authorization letter should we take for family members (if one person is collecting on the behalf of others).
3. How long does it take for the process at the consulate?

Thanks,

Time to pickup

can you clarify few questions for me please?

1. Website on the Chicago consulate shows 2 timings, 4 to 5 PM and then in the summary as 2 to 4 pm. Which is correct?
2. What kind of authorization letter should we take for family members (if one person is collecting on the behalf of others).
3. How long does it take for the process at the consulate?

Thanks,

1. 4-5 pm.
2. All you need is the passports and ack. slips for all family members.
3. Takes about 45 minutes.