OCI - Chicago Tracker

Touch down

My OCI has reached the Consulate- in just 3days. in fact 2 days. Those who criticize the Indian Consulates, at least in my case they work. I intend picking up docs in person.

Date of application 09/20/2010
Submitted in person and collected SC and canceled Indian PP same day.
Date Acknowledged 11/12/2010
DATE SCANNED 11/22/2010
DATE REGN STATUS GRANTED 11/25/2010
Date Printed 12/01/2010
Date Mailed to Chicago 12/06/2010
Date Received at Chicago 12/09/2010 (India time)

End in sight.

yeah true. they are now doing great job I guess. madh4 your case is moving really faster. good luck for your collection.

Last edited by a moderator:
My OCI has reached the Consulate- in just 3days. in fact 2 days. Those who criticize the Indian Consulates, at least in my case they work. I intend picking up docs in person.

Date of application 09/20/2010
Submitted in person and collected SC and canceled Indian PP same day.
Date Acknowledged 11/12/2010
DATE SCANNED 11/22/2010
DATE REGN STATUS GRANTED 11/25/2010
Date Printed 12/01/2010
Date Mailed to Chicago 12/06/2010
Date Received at Chicago 12/09/2010 (India time)

End in sight.

They want madh4 in India more than they want anyone else !!

Thanks to Okonomi ,Olddude and many other pessimistics , they convinced me it will take ages to get OCI. I did not buy any tickets to India. I could not afford to get entry visa for all of us. Now I have to wait till the fares come down.

...... Now I have to wait till the fares come down.
Ah....the continuing challenge of going to India. This cold weather is also high season as well. In any case, when you eventually go there, Could you please post your experience at the Port of Entry (POE) in India. There are occasional posts of instances where the India-Immigration allegedly asked for the "SC" or "cancelled India passport". Please let us know how it goes.

Ah....the continuing challenge of going to India. This cold weather is also high season as well. In any case, when you eventually go there, Could you please post your experience at the Port of Entry (POE) in India. There are occasional posts of instances where the India-Immigration allegedly asked for the "SC" or "cancelled India passport". Please let us know how it goes.

I would suggest take everything with you at least this time, as Indian people are still new for OCI, SC, cancelled Indian passport and they always waiting for "BAKRA" to get money. good luck

Oci collected

Today we went to Chicago consulate in the morning at 1130 hrs ( OCI timings in Chicago are 1100 to 1230) Collected token from reception. There were 35 people ahead of us. Enough seating available and a window was open for OCI with 2 female assistants calling token numbers. Very orderly. Our number was called at 1230 and took a minute to hand over US passport and printed copy of "Online Status". They checked the Indian passport for cancellation stamp. We were told to return at 3.30 for collection.

At 3.30 they opened the process and everyone was attended to by 0410. There were more than 60 people. Along with OCI card and US passport with U-VISA we were given a circular letter.

It reads "Important Instruction . Please note that it is obligatory for all OCI card holders to carry (i) OCI card and (ii) Valid US/Foreign passport having U-Visa sticker while travelling to India.

If you have renewed your US/Foreign passport then you have to carry three things while travelling to India (i) OCI Card (ii) Old passport [containing U-Visa sticker] & (iii) New passport. "

Okonomi, they have not said you have carry SC and old indian PP in that Circular. I will flash this circular from CGI Chicago and argue at the entry point. Don't worry i wouldn't take chances and will have them with me. Will confirm in late Jan how it went.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today we went to Chicago consulate in the morning at 1130 hrs ( OCI timings in Chicago are 1100 to 1230) Collected token from reception. There were 35 people ahead of us. Enough seating available and a window was open for OCI with 2 female assistants calling token numbers. Very orderly. Our number was called at 1230 and took a minute to hand over US passport and printed copy of "Online Status". They checked the Indian passport for cancellation stamp. We were told to return at 3.30 for collection.

At 3.30 they opened the process and everyone was attended to by 0410. There were more than 60 people. Along with OCI card and US passport with U-VISA we were given a circular letter. It reads "Important Instruction . Please note that it is obligatory for all OCI card holders to carry (i) OCI card and (ii) Valid US/Foreign passport having U-Visa sticker while travelling to India.

If you have renewed your US/Foreign passport then you have to carry three things while travelling to India (i) OCI Card (ii) Old passport [containing U-Visa sticker] & (iii) New passport. "

Okonomi, they have not said you have carry SC and old indian PP in that Circular. I will flash this circular from CGI Chicago and argue at the entry point. Don't worry i wouldn't take chances and will have them with me. Will confirm in late Jan how it went.

Congratulations madh4, finally everything is over. I am sure you must be relax now.

At 3.30 they opened the process and everyone was attended to by 0410. There were more than 60 people. Along with OCI card and US passport with U-VISA we were given a circular letter. It reads "Important Instruction . Please note that it is obligatory for all OCI card holders to carry (i) OCI card and (ii) Valid US/Foreign passport having U-Visa sticker while travelling to India.

The circular thing is interesting. The clear purpose of the card thingy is still murky, except that it is one more thing that one could lose and pay to replace it. Oh. ...well.

My OCI has moved fast. See the date line below

application sent 09/15/2010
application recd 09/17/2010
Acknowledged 12/01/2010
photo scanned 12/03/2010
regn status 12/04/2010
docs printed 12/09/2010
sent from India 12/14/2010
recd chicago xxxxxxxxxx

hopefully by week end should reach the Consulate. Still debating whether to collect in person or not. If it going to snow like last 2 days no way i am driving to Chicago. 4-5 hour drive is too much.

My OCI has moved fast. See the date line below

application sent 09/15/2010
application recd 09/17/2010
Acknowledged 12/01/2010
photo scanned 12/03/2010
regn status 12/04/2010
docs printed 12/09/2010
sent from India 12/14/2010
recd chicago xxxxxxxxxx

hopefully by week end should reach the Consulate. Still debating whether to collect in person or not. If it going to snow like last 2 days no way i am driving to Chicago. 4-5 hour drive is too much.

ann12 - both of our cases are going parallel. And hopefully our cases are in the same package. Where do you live? I am at Troy, MI. I am also thinking to go and collect in person or by mail, I know mailing would take at least
month to get it back. Yeah lots of snow here in MI and Chicago as well.

I applied Surrender Certificate + OCI together, I got my SC and Indian Passport back on 11/16 with canceled stamped on it. Do I need to send it back both of things SC+ Indian Passport to Chicago consulate at the time to collecting OCI. or just Indian Passport would be enough, as its showing Canceled on it?

any help?

I applied Surrender Certificate + OCI together, I got my SC and Indian Passport back on 11/16 with canceled stamped on it. Do I need to send it back both of things SC+ Indian Passport to Chicago consulate at the time to collecting OCI. or just Indian Passport would be enough, as its showing Canceled on it?

any help?

if you do not mind sharing, when did you send yor SC/OCI applications?
Just to find out as how much time it took to get the SC back.
thanks

May be a studpid question, but where to see your signature?

I have below things everywhere on my post.

OCI + Surrender Certificate Family Application
10/14/2010 - Application sent via USPS certified
11/16/2010 - Received SC by USPS express mail
11/27/2010 - Date Of Acknowledgment
12/01/2010 - Photo Scanned
12/04/2010 - Registration Status - Granted
12/08/2010 - PRINTED
12/14/2010 - Documents Dispatched to Concerned Mission/Office on

May be a studpid question, but where to see your signature?

he submitted his oci+sc on 10/14/2010 and got sc+ canceled indian PP on 11/16/2010.

I presume you are from Atlanta. Do not think your time line will be similar. I find lot of posts whether one could apply for OCI+SC together at Houston. No one is clear. Chicago is way ahead and more applicant friendly. I bet you wish you were here!!!!