• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Obama or Romney

who is better for the immigrants and future immigrants to USA , Obama or ROmney ?

I'm a US Citizen. I'm also a registered Democrat, so my slant, at the very outset, is towards Obama.

But immigration is definitely a challenge in my personal life. My partner is Australian, and I am part of a same-sex couple. Although we can legally marry in my state of residence (New York), I cannot sponsor my partner for a green card, as US law defines marriage as one man-one woman. Obama's administration has stopped deportation proceedings against legally married same-gender non-US citizens. They don't have green cards yet, but at least they aren't being kicked out.

Therefore, our only chance of living permanently together in the US at this time is if my partner wins a green card in the lottery. There are cases in front of the Supreme Court that might help us. But if Romney is elected, he will appoint judges who are conservative in nature. This is not a Democratic opinion - this is fact.

If Romney is elected, we will have no chances at all. He will do his best to undo the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" repeal in the military, and the DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) will be strengthened to undo any new civil rights for gay and lesbian couples.

Romney may favor SOME immigration, but it will only be immigration of rich people, or of people who can work for rich people.

My opinion, which I know is very strong.

I would agree with you that Obama is probably a better choice for same-sex immigrants. For family-based, employment-based and DV immigrants, the answers vary. What I have noticed is that the almost no one wants to eliminate immigration, however each candidate and faction within the parties emphasizes some programs, usually at the expense of others.

What do you think Hillary Clinton Minister of Foreign Affairs is leaving the ministry in January and the presidental election are affect the visa bulletin? In 2006 was the year when the visa bulletin goes slow like in this year, 2009, 2010 and 2011 were a really good year about the numbers.
Is there anyone who asked the KCC what causes the slow visa bulletin?

Best of Luck guys!!!

Repulication suggest zero-sum, that mean DV eliminated but some other immigrants are benefits, it seems not all people oppose this approach!

Guys please, we are not talking about same sex marriage or gays or lesbians, we are talking about normal immigrant people, with family and kids, we are not talking about extrem minority.

is romney will change the US policy toward immigration ? is he thinking about a cut in interviews or whatever ?

They've been wanting to eliminate the DV lottery for years. Just last month a House bill failed to get the required 2/3rds majority - a bill that would have allocated 55k immigrant places to highly educated immigrants. The Democrats disagreed with the bill because it would have basically eliminated the DV lottery, which was Teddy Kennedy's baby so no Democrat wants to mess with that. The vote was: 257-158, so it was pretty close with only 20 votes short.

I met an Immigration Lawyer at a party last year and he said he's surprised the DV lottery still exists, that they've been chipping away at it for years and he believes it will eventually be dumped or at least changed so that the qualifications are raised. It will depend on who holds the majority in the House and Senate or whether they can get both sides to agree, more than who's at the top.

Last edited by a moderator:
a bill that would have allocated 55k immigrant places to highly educated immigrants.

it will eventually be dumped or at least changed so that the qualifications are raised.

Nowadays it is very difficult, long and tedious to obtain a green card based on employment.

Princedriss,

I know what you are meaning to say here, but I assure you...my partner and I are normal people, and we are a family and we have kids. And we are not extreme. We're just too old to get working visas and go through the 7-12 years it takes to get a Green Card. If the Republicans gain control in Congress, the DV Lottery will be cancelled, and I will have to leave the United States to be with my partner.

Normal immigrant people :confused: Immigration reforms affect people the same way. What's with the discrimination??

Guys please, we are not talking about same sex marriage or gays or lesbians, we are talking about normal immigrant people, with family and kids, we are not talking about extrem minority.

is romney will change the US policy toward immigration ? is he thinking about a cut in interviews or whatever ?

Immigration affects same sex couples too. Presently same sex couple can't immigrate to the US, even if they are legally married and this affects the DV lottery too. It also affects same sex marriages where one person is a US citizen. So same sex marriage does have a direct impact on immigration.

Oh and I don't appreciate you calling me an extreme minority because of my sexuality. I am every bit as normal as you are and I deserve the same rights as heterosexuals.

I am every bit as normal as you are and I deserve the same rights as heterosexuals.

I think Princedriss's comment was really uncalled for. Immigration cuts/changes will affect everybody. If the DV Lottery is cut, it will affect anyone with immigration intents through this option. Regardless of sexual preference. And yes - I do think equal marriage rights should be given for same-sex couples in order to immigrate. It's just not fair. I have many gay friends and I would love to see them all to be able to do the same things straight couples can..

I believe the original post was about which new President will benefit immigration more was it not? I don't recall seeing a caveat on who could respond or not. Princedriss, this is a virtual community made up of many different people with somewhat similar dreams and hopes; let's be respectful of that :)

Most of us here all wish to immigrate to the US, and most of us have very diverse personal lives under that same 'wishful' umbrella. There is no room for discrimination here, as we are all very normal in the same skin as each other. Having different personal circumstances, family make up, life choices and experiences makes us wonderfully diverse, not a minority to be discriminated against. It's a shame the word "Diversity" in DV doesn't fully live up to the meaning.

Having said how I feel - I believe Obama is the best hope for any future development in immigration. I watch the election lead up closely, and was in the US when he was elected the first time around. I'm truely hoping for a repeat of that.

Q

Last edited by a moderator:
I was misunderstood , or maybe i talked in a wrong manner, sorry about that.

Anyway i will repeat the question clearly, how the election will affect the process immigration of a family in the US, for people who won the DV lottery 2013 and waiting for interview ?

I was misunderstood , or maybe i talked in a wrong manner, sorry about that.

Anyway i will repeat the question clearly, how the election will affect the process immigration of a family in the US, for people who won the DV lottery 2013 and waiting for interview ?

In order for Obama to push any immigration reforms, the Democratic Party needs to win both houses of Congress, which is probably a very difficult feat to achieve for either Democrats or GOP in the current political environment. As long as the House of Reps and Senate are divided between both the parties, I don't think we will see any major changes to the Immigration Policy. Personally, I think the status quo will be maintained on the Immigration policy for the foreseeable future.

Same goes if Romney wins too. In order for him to cancel programs such as DV (as GOP have tried in the past), the GOP needs to win both houses of Congress. All of these would only matter for future DV such as DV-2015 and beyond.

This election will not make any noticeable difference to the DV 2013 winners (even DV-2014 entrants/winners when announced in May 2013)

Thanks for the explanation, my question is : despite the high rate of unemployement in US, why the US still openinng the DV lottery ??

Thanks for the explanation, my question is : despite the high rate of unemployement in US, why the US still openinng the DV lottery ??

That is what I had answered above, but may be my answer didn't state this explicitly. The DV lottery is enshrined in the law by an act of Congress and can only be repealed by an act of Congress. In order to abolish DV lottery or change the Immigration policy, the legislative changes are required to pass thru both houses of Congress and then signed by President into law.

The US government has this system of checks and balances, which ensures that all changes go thru required scrutiny before being implemented, but at the moment whole government is suffering policy paralysis. So any new bill needs to be passed by both branches of government (Legislative - Congress & Executive - President). If at any stage, the bill is either rejected by either House of Reps or Senate (via an up/down vote) or rejected by President (via a Veto), it needs to be started all over again.

This is unlike a parliamentary democracy (such as Britain, India, Australia, New Zealand, etc.) where the political party which forms the government can introduce the bill in parliament, get it passed (since it has majority) and in most cases the head of the state (Queen or President) is required to sign the bill into law and has practically no veto.

At the moment GOP, it bitterly opposed to any form of Immigration changes as they want to deal with undocumented workers first. On the other hand Democrats want a whole package on Immigration reform. Since the GOP has majority in House of Reps and Democrats have majority in Senate, no bill targeting the immigration reform introduced by either party is making it thru to President, because neither party likes the proposals introduced by other. This has been happening on matters a lot more urgent than immigration such as tax reform. The President had to jump thru hoops to get this Universal Health legislation thru Congress earlier in his first term.

The divided Congress was one reason that depsite being pro-immigration, GW Bush never managed to get anything done thru Congress on immigration, since his own party did not agree with his views on immigration.

That is what I had answered above, but may be my answer didn't state this explicitly. The DV lottery is enshrined in the law by an act of Congress and can only be repealed by an act of Congress. In order to abolish DV lottery or change the Immigration policy, the legislative changes are required to pass thru both houses of Congress and then signed by President into law.

The US government has this system of checks and balances, which ensures that all changes go thru required scrutiny before being implemented, but at the moment whole government is suffering policy paralysis. So any new bill needs to be passed by both branches of government (Legislative - Congress & Executive - President). If at any stage, the bill is either rejected by either House of Reps or Senate (via an up/down vote) or rejected by President (via a Veto), it needs to be started all over again.

This is unlike a parliamentary democracy (such as Britain, India, Australia, New Zealand, etc.) where the political party which forms the government can introduce the bill in parliament, get it passed (since it has majority) and in most cases the head of the state (Queen or President) is required to sign the bill into law and has practically no veto.

At the moment GOP, it bitterly opposed to any form of Immigration changes as they want to deal with undocumented workers first. On the other hand Democrats want a whole package on Immigration reform. Since the GOP has majority in House of Reps and Democrats have majority in Senate, no bill targeting the immigration reform introduced by either party is making it thru to President, because neither party likes the proposals introduced by other. This has been happening on matters a lot more urgent than immigration such as tax reform. The President had to jump thru hoops to get this Universal Health legislation thru Congress earlier in his first term.

The divided Congress was one reason that depsite being pro-immigration, GW Bush never managed to get anything done thru Congress on immigration, since his own party did not agree with his views on immigration.

wow, what an informative post. Great work nybound.
TIL that GW Bush was pro-immigration.. hmmm