Oath Ceremony & Passport...what do i need?

meanne

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

I have my Oath Ceremony on August 21, '09, and I would like to apply for my
passport at the same day if i'm given the choice, is there anything I need to bring with me for passport? like passport picture? or are they going to use what they have that I sent from before?

4/02/09 Filed I-90 application/Replacement Alien Card
4/06/09 I-90 Notice Date for Biometrix
4/13/09 Filed N-400
4/17/09 USCIS receipt of N-400
4/27/09 Biometrix appointment
5/14/09 I-90 Approval Notice
6/12/09 Appointment Letter for N-400 Interview
6/15/09 Alien Card production delayed
7/14/09 Alien Card Received
7/21/09 Naturalization Interview / Pass
8/08/09 Oath Ceremony Received
8/21/09 Oath Ceremony Date

You'll need to fill out the passport application, bring the fee and 2 passport style photographs.

Thank you soo much! Do you know how much is the fee? And will they have the passport application there at the Oath Ceremony?

Also, is it possible to have 2 passport? I would like to keep a passport at the bank safe or something, just incase anything happen to what i have at home.

Also, is it possible to have 2 passport? I would like to keep a passport at the bank safe or something, just incase anything happen to what i have at home.

I don't think it's possible to have 2 passports. A good "just-in-case" alternative is to pay the additional $20 and apply for a passport card. While it's nowhere nearly as useful as the passport book (the card is only valid for land and sea crossings between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico and Carribean islands), you'll be able to use it as proof of citizenship and to obtain a new passport in the even that something happens to the one you'll get after your oath.

Thank you soo much! Do you know how much is the fee? And will they have the passport application there at the Oath Ceremony?

Here's the link: http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html (See under Apply for a US Passport (First time Adult Applicant)).

Here's the link for fees: http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/fees/fees_837.html

They don't have the passport application at the Oath Ceremony mostly. They will tell you where to apply. (I gave you the links above).

Congratulations! :)

No, it is not possible because passport number is unique. I think it is illegal to have two unique passport numbers for same person.

However, you will have a naturalization certificate as a proof of citizenship. You can apply for a passport card as a proof of citizenship (Note: it cannot be used when you travel by air. Like Vorpal said, the card is only valid for land and sea crossings between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico and Carribean islands)

No, it is not possible because passport number is unique. I think it is illegal to have two unique passport numbers for same person.

However, you will have a naturalization certificate as a proof of citizenship. You can apply for a passport card as a proof of citizenship (Note: it cannot be used when you travel by air. Like Vorpal said, the card is only valid for land and sea crossings between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico and Carribean islands)
state dept do issues second passport for general public BUT only under extreme rare cases. the person requesting second passport must demonstrate that he/she travels very frequently and having a second passport enables them to obtain visas in US while he/she continue to travel. the second passport is only valid for two years.

state dept do issues second passport for general public BUT only under extreme rare cases. the person requesting second passport must demonstrate that he/she travels very frequently and having a second passport enables them to obtain visas in US while he/she continue to travel. the second passport is only valid for two years.

Are you sure? Where did you find the source information?

For peace of mind you can apply (with the same passport form and photos) for both the passport book and passport card, each one can be used to apply to replace the other in case of loss.

You seem to imply you want to apply for the passport at the oath ceremony place. Some ceremonies take passport applications and some places don't. Make sure your venue does offer passport processing, otherwise schedule an appointment at a nearby post office for after the ceremony, if possible.

For peace of mind you can apply (with the same passport form and photos) for both the passport book and passport card, each one can be used to apply to replace the other in case of loss.

You seem to imply you want to apply for the passport at the oath ceremony place. Some ceremonies take passport applications and some places don't. Make sure your venue does offer passport processing, otherwise schedule an appointment at a nearby post office for after the ceremony, if possible.

I will definitely ask, i guess it does not hurt to try and ask. I'll definitely be prepared at the oath ceremony if they do accept passport application there, if not i know couple of places near me to go for it. Thanks

It is more convenient to make the passport application at a nearby US post office after the oath ceremony. It allows you time to make copy of your naturalization certificate before parting with it for 3-4 weeks. It takes the same time to get a passport either way.

nkm-oct23 makes a very good point. You should scan/photocopy the certificate for your own records in the rare case that it gets destroyed, lost during passport application.