Oath ceremony - Need help !!!

citizen_mi

Registered Users (C)
Hi folks - I started my N-400 process in Indiana back in July 2007. Had my interview in March 2008. Then relocated to MI in July 2008. Provided change of address to USCIS in July 2008 & received their confirmation in Sept 2008. Couple of days ago I got my oath ceremony notice for Oct 17. The notice was addressed to my MI address, but the oath ceremony is scheduled in Indiana :confused:

Has anyone had this kind of experience?

What should I do now? Go to Indiana for the oath or request a re-schedule to MI? The reason I ask this is, I was told that oath ceremony is conducted in the state you live in. I don't have any problem going to Indiana. I called USCIS twice & got 2 different directions - 1. To send a letter & oath notice back to Indiana local office letting them know that I live in MI; 2. Go to the oath ceremony since the notice has my correct address.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thx.

My advise is to go to Indiana and do it! Reschedule or sending others information and papers will give you more stress and it will take longer.

Thx for the quick reply zarra2008. Do you know if it is true that oath ceremony is conducted in the state you live in? If it is true, can I be sent back to MI after appearing in Indiana?

My advice is to go to Indiana and get it over with. At the oath ceremony the only identification they ask is your Green Card.

Good Luck

Thx Harvy. I saw your details in a different post. Good luck with your process. As long as they don't cancel my oath, I will plan on going to Indiana. Got my oath letter on 10/4/08 for oath ceremony on 10/17/08.

Yes I agree, go to Indiana since they have your change of address already and USCIS sent it to your new address. There was a recent poster who was called for their interview in a different district office after they moved and USCIS had sent the interview letter to the new address, so it should be ok to take your oath in different district office as well.
Rescheduling oath to MI DO would result in a further delay.

Like every one said your best bet is go to Indy and take the oath.
You do not want to be asking for changing the oath cermany to MI that might cause some more head aches on processing times.

8 C.F.R. § 310.3 Administration of the oath of allegiance.
(a)An applicant for naturalization may elect, at the time of filing of, or at the examination on, the application, to have the oath of allegiance and renunciation under section 337(a) of the Act administered in a public ceremony conducted by the Service or by any court described in section 310(b) of the Act, subject to section 310(b)(1)(B) of the Act.

In other words, if you attend a ceremony organized by the USCIS, it can be done at any place.

Oath ceremony went well. No issues. The court bldg in Hammond is on Hohman & Douglas streets. They handle around 50 applicants at a time. The day I had the ceremony, there were 44.

Pretty straight forward. I also filled out the SS form for updated SS.