Oath ceremony- any idea how long it takes (typically)

chigc2002

Registered Users (C)
Hello all

Any one have an idea how long a typical oath ceremony takes- esp. at the Chicago DO ?

Thank you

I took oath in the Washington DC DO. The whole oath was over in 10 minutes (probaby because it in the afternoon of the 3rd and everyone wanted to go home early for the long weekend). But it took us (58 candidates) more than 1 hour to surrender our green card, verify the certificate, and get seated.

It depends on ceremony and number of people attending. Needless to say, oaths with more participants take longer than those with fewer participants.

Kansas City was much longer. We had to arrive before 12:30pm and did not leave till 3pm, 2.5 hours later. That included processing time, Oath ceremony, photos in the courtroom and registering to vote.

Thanks to all who took time to respond.

It appears that a majority of time could be spent processing to-be-citizens i.e., prior to the actual oath ceremony. Ofcourse, the more people there are the longer that would take. I'm going to assume it would take anywhere between 2-3 hours.

That's a fair estimate for the whole oath process. The ceremony itself is usually under an hour, at least in Campbell (San Jose office) California.

I was in one in Manhattan in 2005 and from the time I got there until I got out of the courthouse, aprox 3-4 hours..... :cool::cool::cool:

I was in Sacramento, and the whole thing took about 3 1/2 hours including waiting times, oath, voter registration, and Social Security status update.

I was in one in Manhattan in 2005 and from the time I got there until I got out of the courthouse, aprox 3-4 hours..... :cool::cool::cool:

3-4 hours???? :eek:

A coworker of mine had his oath at 500 Pearl St. last May, and it was less than 2 hours. Then again, I guess it depends on how many new citizens are attending the oath.