O1 Process - can anyone explain?

drvic

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I'm curious about the O1 route for getting gc. I don't have much info on how this approach works and wanted to find out how it works and if its better in some way than the regular J-1 waiver approach? If someone can give me me a step by step picture, that would be awesome!

I'm on J-1 (as you can guess by now), currently in subspecialty training (first year of fellowship), looking to go through J-1 waiver process in the future. Have lots of publications, interested in continuing in my subspecialty, but not sure if by the time I finish my fellowship in June 2011, if I'll get subspecialty waiver jobs.

I've been reading about the whole J-1 waiver process on this forum and its been very educative to a newbie like me...thanks to all the contributors in this forum!

You need the J-1 waiver if you want to stay here permanently. O-1 is only a renewable temporary visa (but you can renew it indefinitely).

thanks for the quick reply.

One more question that came to my mind - Is the process for J-1 waiver for primary care job any different than for a subspecialty job (that is, if I'm lucky enough to find one in my subspecialty!).

The state I'm in right now does not allow me to apply for primary care waiver jobs after I have done my fellowship - so if I have to stay here, then I can only do subspecialty waivers, and if I don't get a waiver job in my subspecialty, then I will have to start looking at other states...

Things that seem simple at first are always so complicated...I'm a little inundated with all the terms that I read about the J-1 waiver process on this forum, so I hope they will all sink in, in the next few days...

Thanks

Hi everyone,

I'm curious about the O1 route for getting gc. I don't have much info on how this approach works and wanted to find out how it works and if its better in some way than the regular J-1 waiver approach? If someone can give me me a step by step picture, that would be awesome!

I'm on J-1 (as you can guess by now), currently in subspecialty training (first year of fellowship), looking to go through J-1 waiver process in the future. Have lots of publications, interested in continuing in my subspecialty, but not sure if by the time I finish my fellowship in June 2011, if I'll get subspecialty waiver jobs.

I've been reading about the whole J-1 waiver process on this forum and its been very educative to a newbie like me...thanks to all the contributors in this forum!
O visa is temporary action to keep you in status and earn some extra time to get the waiver. Not to waive you from the waiver