NSC - Plastic Tracker

denman said:
Hi.

I'll be travelling to India from US, via Frankfurt. I have my Permanent residency stamp on my passport (valid till May, 2005). But have not yet rcvd the plastic card.
Germany consulate website says that, if you have "permanent residency permit", then you do not require visa.
When I called their office, they said that, since I do not have the physical card, I do require Airport transit visa. They indicated that, it'll only take them 5 days to send my passport back.

Anybody has any experience with it? Do I need to send them a copy of my I-485 approval letter, or the stamp on passport is good enough? When I apply for the Airport transit visa, do I send any thing other than the required documents (as stated in their website)? If you can please share any experience on this, will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't think you need to take any transit visa. My wife went to india recenlty via frankfurt, didn't have to take any extra transit visa.

Is receiving of plastic card related to welcome letter???

Its more than 60 days after we got our passports stampped.
Today we called National Customer Service. Upon enquiry..., we were asked whether we received the welcome letters..., we said no. The reason customer service gave for not receiving the plastic cards is..., if one has not received the welcome letter..., they would not receive plastic cards......
Did each of you guys receive welcome letter before receiving plastic cards???

Thanks, gsumk

gsumk said:
I don't think you need to take any transit visa. My wife went to india recenlty via frankfurt, didn't have to take any extra transit visa.

Thanks, gsumk

Also I got a response from German consulate, Atlanta saying that "If you have I-551 stamp on your passport, you do not require a transit visa"

I was confused because LA consulate tells me differently (that I require a transit visa).
Anyway, since I hace the email from them, I'll save it and take with me. Hopefully, I'll get a boarding pass :-(

Thanks.

peace_of_mind said:
Its more than 60 days after we got our passports stampped.
Today we called National Customer Service. Upon enquiry..., we were asked whether we received the welcome letters..., we said no. The reason customer service gave for not receiving the plastic cards is..., if one has not received the welcome letter..., they would not receive plastic cards......
Did each of you guys receive welcome letter before receiving plastic cards???

Well, that was different from what I was told by the 800 number. When I called yesterday to ask about the welcome letter and plastic card, a lady said she would ask someone to send my welcome letter. But she did not know about the plastic card except it may take 6-9 months to arrive!!

IDreams said:
I just call the number 1 800 375-5283 again. The lady who took my call said that I need to wait another 30 days to get some information. First call was on September 23, 2004 and till now I get nothing. :rolleyes:

I called CIS (18---375-5283) on 10/29/04 and received an email yesterday. It says:
-------
Application Type: I485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or
to Adjust Status

Current Status:

On October 29, 2004, we responded to your request for more information
concerning your case. If you have not received our response within 30
days from this date, please call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.

Today, I receive a letter from USCIS NSC:

Dear xxxxx

On 10/29/2004 you contacted CIS about your case. Some of the key information given us at the time was the following:
XXX
XXX
XXX
The status of this service request is: Your I485 was approved. It often takes 12-20 months to produce a green card. Your approval notice is proof of your status as a legal permanent resident. You can continue to get your passport stamped and be issued a temporary green card until you receive your card. Be sure that you filed an I-89 at your local office and keep this center current on your address. Failure to update your address may delay your application.

Wow, what is this? Is it the response they said to send to me? Anybody received the same letter after you called the 1800 number? Or after this, I will receive another letter such as ‘welcome letter’. Or I should wait 12-20 months to get my card?????
:confused: :eek: :cool: :rolleyes: :D

Last edited by a moderator:
IDreams,
After our inquiry on Nov 2, today morning we received the below email.
On November 3, 2004, we responded to your request for more information concerning your case. If you have not received our response within 30 days from this date, please call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.
I am sure the letter would follow and the contents would be similar to what you have received.

Previously I had contacted Mr. Christopher Cox a congressman from CA 48th district. He is a member of the HomeLand Security Committee. The moment I receive the letter, I would send a copy of the same to the congressman and inquiry why NSC is delaying the process of GC cards and CSC able to produce cards in 40-50 days.

peace_of_mind said:
IDreams,
On November 3, 2004, we responded to your request for more information concerning your case. If you have not received our response within 30 days from this date, please call customer service at 1-800-375-5283.
I am sure the letter would follow and the contents would be similar to what you have received.

Previously I had contacted Mr. Christopher Cox a congressman from CA 48th district. He is a member of the HomeLand Security Committee. The moment I receive the letter, I would send a copy of the same to the congressman and inquiry why NSC is delaying the process of GC cards and CSC able to produce cards in 40-50 days.

peace_of_mind,

Thank you very much.

It is good idea and I believe I should do the same after a few days. :mad:

I got the same letter

peace_of_mind said:
IDreams,

IDreams, peace_of_mind:

I had called the 800# in Sep' 04 and after one week, I received the email and letter, withg exactly same content as IDream's.

No welcome letter since then (over a month).

:mad:

IDreams .. can you please clarify what they mean by "....and keep this center current on your address ....."

Are they refering to the usual address change ?

Do we need to notify them separately of any address change ??

mi2004 said:
IDreams .. can you please clarify what they mean by "....and keep this center current on your address ....."

Are they refering to the usual address change ?

Do we need to notify them separately of any address change ??

Q: Are they refering to the usual address change ?
Do we need to notify them separately of any address change?
A: Yes, I think. With the letter, they also send a form AR-11, and mentioned that you should notice CIS in 10 days when you change your address.

I will post this message on CSC forum..., and try to get information from CSC guys who received plastic cards within 60 days. I would like to contact the congressman with the information in hand..., is anybody ready to join me.

peace_of_mind ... I know of some of my CA friends who have got the plastic in 10 business days ...

Different letter

I got a totally different letter from NSC.
“You receipt number is LINXXXXXXXXXXXX. Your I-89 card was received on 3-26-04 and is in line to be scanned”
One month slipped away, nothing happened :)

i just called the 800 # and simply asked how long it takes to receive the welcome letter/package. she asked for some routine information and then to my surprise told me that she was going to send a refferal to NSC and let them know that i have not received my GC. I am 10 days short of the 60 day rule but apparantly it doesn't matter.

she asked for bunch of more information that i guess she needed for the refferal memo. she told me i will get some response in the mail in next 30 days.

to be honest, i don't know how much good would this do to me. i am also thinking that i would get another letter in the mail saying that NSC has received the refferal and it would take them gizzillion months to process the card!

have a good weekend,

peace_of_mind said:
IDreams,

peace_of mind,

Did you receive the letter from CIS? ;)

Online message for spouse changed

Our 485 was approved in Feb'04. I sent an enquiry to NSC last week and called the 800 # number yesterday.

Today, I noticed my wife's online status changed to card mailed on Nov 6th :) mine yet to change. Has anyone seen this happen?

TIA