No green card for citizenship interview

boboclan

Registered Users (C)
I just received my citizenship interview letter. The problem is that i lost my GC and when i went for the finger prints, i told them that and they just took my A no. from the back of my passport to verify and then took my fingerprints. I understand it may take 3 months to receive a GC replacement but my interview is on April 6 which is less than 2 months away. Do you think they will interview me without the GC if i tell them i lost it?:confused:

You are required to report a lost or stolen GC.

That should answer your question.
Doesn't matter if you get a new one in time, what matters is that you report it.

And make sure you get some sort of form that you reported it lost or stolen and police isn't the right authority to report it to.

at my oath they took my greencard..but lets say if u dont give it in what happens? as in you dont even file a police report u just dont give it in.

You don't get your Natz - that simple and since you give the GC before the Oath, you don't get to give the Oath

I just received my citizenship interview letter. The problem is that i lost my GC and when i went for the finger prints, i told them that and they just took my A no. from the back of my passport to verify and then took my fingerprints. I understand it may take 3 months to receive a GC replacement but my interview is on April 6 which is less than 2 months away. Do you think they will interview me without the GC if i tell them i lost it?:confused:
1. File police report
2. File form I-90 with fee.
3. You will get I-90 filing receipt and take the I-90 filing receipt with you when you go for Interview.

**If you have Copy of GC take the copy with you.

I think they will expect you to show that you applied for a replacement card, unless the original card expires more than 6 months after you filed the N-400.

I am not sure if this depends on the officer who is interviewing you, but I lost my greencard prior to the Citizenship interview. I heard different things. Some said, just a police will do and others said you have to apply for a replacement card.

When I called USCIS, the instruction I got was to apply for a replacement card.

During my interview, I showed the officer my police report and the letter confirming that I had reapplied for a lost card and she asked why I bothered to reapply. I told her that that's what I was told.

She said that I didn't need to reapply that it didn't make any sense to do so. She then thanked me for making a donation to USCIS.

Now I can't say every officer will react this way.

She gave me a piece of paper which served as my greencard for the oath ceremony.

I hope this helps others and for those that want to save some money.

She said that I didn't need to reapply that it didn't make any sense to do so. She then thanked me for making a donation to USCIS.
Did you have more than 6 months remaining on your GC when you applied for naturalization? If yes, it is definitely true that you don't need to apply for a replacement, and you can make an appointment with a USCIS office to get your passport stamped for free while your naturalization process is ongoing. Did your GC have more than 6 months of validity when you filed the N-400?

You need to show that you has applied for the new one and it will be sufficent to resume your citizenship application. File I-90 and don't lose proff of it and submit that instesd of your GC when you will be ask for it.
I have tried to get stamp in my passport when I lost mine 5 years ago.I had to leave the country due to emergency and wanted to apply for the new one when I came back but I was told that I need proff of re-appling for it to order to get stamp in the passport.Now I don't know if applying for citizenship changes this process in any other way or effects it diffrently or has been changed in last 5 years which I doubt it has. As far as I know USCIS does not stamp your passport if you don't reapply and show the proof that you have applied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Strictly speaking one is required by law to carry the GC (INA264) and if one lost one one need to get a new one.

The penealty for not carrying GC is $100 plus 30 day in jail.

Strictly speaking one is required by law to carry the GC (INA264) and if one lost one one need to get a new one.
Yes, but an I-551 passport stamp is the equivalent of a GC. So it is not necessary to carry a physical card while you have an unexpired I-551 stamp, and you can get that stamp for free if you filed the N-400 with more than 6 months remaining on the GC.

you can get that stamp for free if you filed the N-400 with more than 6 months remaining on the GC.

Could you explain why you are so sure about free stamp in the passport in the circumstance explained above? Is it based on someone you know or yours exprience or it is based on some USCIS law or regulation? If this is the case could you refer us to it or explain.
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you explain why you are so sure about free stamp in the passport in the circumstance explained above? Is it based on someone you know or yours exprience or it is based on some USCIS law or regulation?

What do you think Permanent Residents do before their GC is printed, or those who are in the process of replacing a lost card?

It was a brand new Green Card that was going to expire in 9 years or something.

This may sound strange, but what the law says and what people practice might be two different things.

My officer who interviewed me was just using reason I believe.
Again, it might depend on the officer, but the surest way is to get that replacement card.

What do you think Permanent Residents do before their GC is printed, or those who are in the process of replacing a lost card?

They apply for the replacement and get stamp not get stamp without prove of filling I-190. You have not read the whole discussion.